too much camber??

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by gearhead899, Dec 8, 2011.

1. gearhead899

gearhead899 Active Member

Hey guys, just dropped my truck last night with the XII street drop. I got it aligned tonight after work and they said the tow was really out so they got that back in spec, but they couldnt get the camber into spec. its still about -4 degrees of camber. it looks like alot honsetly just looking at it. How fast will this wear out my tires with regular rotation? and iv heard of people using a spacer of some sort to fix this. what is it and where do i get it?

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Your alignment shop is terrible....The XII Performace drop can be brought back within allowed factory tolerances. Bring it back and tell them to do it right.

3. BondXII

BondXII Member

Glad to see that you got your kit installed. -4 degrees is a noticeable amount of negative camber. You might want to give the shop another try at getting it within spec. Or possibly take it somewhere that you know deals with lowered cars/trucks. You're not alone with people that can't get it to dead zero. Even we're at a little less then 1 degree. If everything was done correctly with the alignment, could you have over torqued the shock assembly when you put the new coils in? if you compressed the new springs too much then your truck is lower in the front then what our springs intended and you would have more camber. Also these coils do need to settle and will need to go back to the shop afterwards. I usually tell people to go back after 3-500 miles, then again at 1000 miles. everything should be good to go by then if everything was done correctly.

As far as the spacer, I know there is one out there but I'm not sure who has them. I haven't pursued it since I have not had the issue.

4. gearhead899

thanks guys! i think im gonna give them a call tomorrow and ask if i bring it back after some miles if they can try it again. cuz i remember when i installed this kit on my old X-Runner that we were able to get it back into factory stock, if not then damn near close to it. If it isnt corrected, how many miles do you think i will get out of the tires with the tow like it is?

5. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Mine sit at about -1.7, but if you really want (and if you have money), you can get THESE... they'll save you money in the long run (about two sets of front tires).

Don't think anyone has tried them yet. I'm very tempted, but I don't have the spare cash sitting around right now... :thumbdown:

6. JiNsEiGaNaI

JiNsEiGaNaI Active Member

Didnt realize steve has 9,000+ post! Damn! But n e way gud to know cuz i want to b sitting sic in the future

7. gearhead899

damn those are more then tires! lol

8. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Holy smokes. Those are awesome. Bond XII should have those. That way future customers only have a one stop shop for their suspension parts. :top:

That would alieviate everyone's camber issues. :D

9. X-roller

X-roller New Member

damn... I didn't even know they made that for the taco.... I wonder if that's the first or second gen though...

You are on there website!!!! lol... I dunno if you know that or not... they have a short article on your truck...

http://www.horsepowerfreaks.com/pictures/Toyota/Tacoma/16459

#9 X-roller, Dec 8, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 8, 2011
  10. speckdzl4shzl

speckdzl4shzl "Gym Junkie"

pffft you'll be fine man. been rolling around like that for almost 2 years now. camber looks sexy :blurock:

and i know i porbably shouldnt say this out loud but i havent rotated my tires since i got them...like March 2010...and i have NO irregular tire wear. don't ask how cuz i dunno lol

11. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

The website says:
    (05-08) Toyota Tacoma Control Arms - Incl. Prerunner: 0 to +5 Degrees Camber/ +/-2 Degrees Caster (1 Per Axle)

12. gearhead899

I called the shop this morning and they said bring it back in for them to re-check it whenever. i told them tuesday so the springs will have time to settle. Apparently last night when i whent their "good" alignment guy wasnt their. so i guess the "bad" alignment guy was the one who did it last night?? :hmmmm2: anyway they said the other guy will be their tuesday (who i actually know and is the reason i whent to that shop in the first place). So hopefully he will be able to get it in spec!!

13. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

That is the old setup. ;) I remember the days......

14. sohc4now

sohc4now Member

At least the guy attempted to adjust camber. Unless you ask for a proper alignment, toe-and-go is what you will get most of the time.

15. BondXII

BondXII Member

If I read this right, I probably won't carry these. I don't see anybody dropping 1000 bucks to fix their camber for those rare cases that they can't get it within specs. I am looking into other ways to fix this among a list of other things for you guys.

I'll look more into these though just in case I'm reading it wrong and they are actually 500 a pair and not each.

16. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Hopefully it is $500 for the pair. If any thing, there might be a way for you to make a similar working product, that is just as good a design if not better, and for a slightly better price. :top:

17. CBRBob

CBRBob New Member

you can have a ton of neg camber, if all you do is drive hard but not many miles. If you do put miles on, you can have -1 and it will wear big time.

18. SouthernmostXR

SouthernmostXR New Member

I had that problem with my drop kit s?s had to get 1/4" spacer to repair it, hated the way the car handled it swayed changing lanes and on uneven roads it was very hard on front supension, it got fixed but the ball joints are squeaking now (1) blown out strut.
    I will be ordering from Amy the front coils and steel leafs when available to get rid of the blocks also fresh Bilsteins, Polyurethane bushings and ball joints to repair a bad choice on cheap kit.
    Just never had a lowered truck, always 4x4 learning the hardway with the wallet.

This is why I am posting my experience so others don`t have to spend EXTRA cash. :laugh:

19. FireB

FireB New Member

That's an Awesome Find. If they are $500 for a pair, it would be great to have!

20. CBRBob

CBRBob New Member

Either and adjustable ball joints or longer upper control arms?