Track Daze at VIR May 31 2014

Discussion in 'Southeast' started by Miami_X, Dec 14, 2013.

1. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Crazy Russians!!!

2. azburnin

azburnin Active Member

That's not bad G I turned a 2:31.5 in that stock FR-S. Your getting better every time :eviltongue:

3. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

There was a BRZ running with me for a while. I clearly had him in the straights, but is was very quick through the turns. He followed me for a while and would catch up after a series of turns. I let him by and followed him for a while. That seems like a very nice handling car.

G

4. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

How is the general consensus of feelings from the others, about trucks on the course, now after so many times out there?

5. azburnin

azburnin Active Member

This is true, they handle very well. I'm surprised you didn't just leave him in your dust.

Well when I've been out there, each time it's more of a unfamiliarity to the weekend warriors that causes intrigue. The staff by now have grown accustomed to the trucks, but the few instructors I've had will say; "I've never been in a truck around the track". Then after a few fast laps they'll tell me they didn't know it was possible that it would perform like that. Lol.

6. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Those are the words that I like to hear! That at least some of the stigma associated with "a truck" is turning into understanding and acceptance.

7. azburnin

azburnin Active Member

Exactly, the second time I was there my instructor was asking me where to buy parts for his 4x4 tacoma. I referenced the necessary paths to take and also mention Werty and he got super excited. People like odd, and it breaks the same ol' same, like BMW's and such.

8. macg33k

macg33k Member

Dang, you guys are getting pretty fast. My best time last year with my new suspension was a 2:35:803. I can't wait until the next time to get out there and see what you guys have learned. :top:

BTW, another TrackDaze VIR coming up in July (12th and 13th)....anyone already ready to go again? Or......August 25-26. Or.......Summit Point in October?

9. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

I would love to go, but don't think I can get away again so soon. Many other events already scheduled through the Summer with a long MOAB trip this Fall.

Would like to try Summit Point. I think it is a hair closer for me and something new.

G

10. macg33k

macg33k Member

Yeh, I've watched some of Mike's videos of Summit Point. Looks like a pretty technical track - and smaller than VIR, I think. Maybe that should be our next track day.

11. autobodyX

autobodyX Active Member

I was looking at the September 6-7 Summit point Jefferson course date, the Trackdaze staff were bragging on the venue at the driver's meeting at VIR. They said that they had added a mile of brand new track to the old course and the new part had some good elevation change. It is the weekend just after Labor day.

12. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

after riding with autobodyX on one go around VIR I had to order the drop coils and lowering blocks.. honestly I still cant believe that our trucks can handle so well around corners. I definitely figured it would slide out at least a little. Funny story this guy at my work has been raving about how well his Subaru STi handles and how there is no way our trucks handle anywhere near as close or as fast as his car... anyways I showed him some videos of AutobodyX, Gadget and buck and he has been silent ever since.

13. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Friends don't let friend run blocks.

Get the leafs or stay stock.

G

14. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

HAHA well im working on getting the leafs.. only problem is it costs more money. leafs are coming first before the QA1s.. just have to wait a little bit
    unless you know of a friend who has some for sale for a good price.

15. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

The stock suspension is pretty good.

You may want to check to see if there is a nice discount rolled in if you order the entire suspension kit at once instead of piecing it together.

Might be better to wait a minute and do it right all at once if you can and save some money.

G

16. SgtBadA

SgtBadA Active Member

true.. next on my list is better brakes and tires..

17. BondXII

BondXII Well-Known Member

Saves about 100 bucks to get it all at once. Even more when you consider the cost of shipping one part at a time.

18. autobodyX

autobodyX Active Member

My stock 06 n/a with upgraded brake pads and shoes and r-comp tires was as fast as the lap times the 2:32 or so we turned in the highly modified 09.

19. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Can't wait to go back. I was holding back on the straights as it just did not make sense to beat on the truck so bad when I know it is fast in a straight line. I am sure I could save a few seconds off by going balls out next time. Can't wait!!

Trust me folks, this is FUN!!!! Nothing like drag racing at all.

G

20. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Drag racing pales in comparison! :burnout2: