Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Treadwear is better than expected on original tires

Edgeman

Reaction score
Just passed state inspection at dealer, and the inspector measured the depth at 6/32" (state minimum is 2/32") after 30,000 miles. I'm pleased, but plan to go with a little harder compound (200-300 treadwear rating) with my next set of tires.

hiflyer

Reaction score
yeah, just watch out for rain with the stockers sitll on!

they've taken out more than a few people

darthyota

Reaction score

pffft ive run the stockers on ice theyre fine in the rain just dont push when wet

STONER-X

Reaction score
pffft ive run the stockers on ice theyre fine in the rain just dont push when wet

yep.. never had an issue either.....

the nitto 555 are a 300 tread ware with all the same temp and other readings on the stock tires.... i had them put on at 25k and im now at 53k will need new tires with in the next 10-15k.......

Murderface

Reaction score
So they have our stock Potenzas listed as 140 treadware and my Nitto Invos are 260 yet the Invos won't make it another 10K. The stock tires last me 30K and I'll be lucky to get 20K from the Invos and I drove much harder with the stock tires. Still not sure which tires I'm going with next, I just know it won't be Potenzas or Invos.

rich017

Reaction score
I hardly got 15K out of the stock tires. Not to mention they were just was too dangerous in the rain. I am on my 3rd set of tires now with 57K on the truck.

So they have our stock Potenzas listed as 140 treadware and my Nitto Invos are 260 yet the Invos won't make it another 10K. The stock tires last me 30K and I'll be lucky to get 20K from the Invos and I drove much harder with the stock tires. Still not sure which tires I'm going with next, I just know it won't be Potenzas or Invos.

Hankook Ventus V12 Evo's or Continental DW. Both are awesome tires.

Last edited:

Murderface

Reaction score
U guys crack me up with ur comments about the stock Potenzas being too dangerous in the rain. If u drive the truck like a "normal" person there nothing dangerous about them. In fact the Nitto Invos I have now that are claimed to have excellent wet traction are no more better then the Potenzas in the rain.

The Hankooks are decent tires, I had a set on my Scion and was pleased with them but they won't hold the road in my XRunner. I need to buckle up and get some super sticky tires and hope to get 15-20K outta them if I don't beat on them too much. I'm not talking drag radial sticky although if I had the money I would def run some Nitto NTO5R's in the back and regular NTO5's in the front. Since that's not gonna happen I'll probably stick with either the NT 555II extreme performance or even the Neogens. Haven't decided yet but it will def be a Nitto tire.

rich017

Reaction score
U guys crack me up with ur comments about the stock Potenzas being too dangerous in the rain. If u drive the truck like a "normal" person there nothing dangerous about them. In fact the Nitto Invos I have now that are claimed to have excellent wet traction are no more better then the Potenzas in the rain.

The Hankooks are decent tires, I had a set on my Scion and was pleased with them but they won't hold the road in my XRunner. I need to buckle up and get some super sticky tires and hope to get 15-20K outta them if I don't beat on them too much. I'm not talking drag radial sticky although if I had the money I would def run some Nitto NTO5R's in the back and regular NTO5's in the front. Since that's not gonna happen I'll probably stick with either the NT 555II extreme performance or even the Neogens. Haven't decided yet but it will def be a Nitto tire.

I do drive like a normal person. With the stockers I would take off as slow as I could from a light and it would just spin most of the time unless it has been raining for a while. Now I have some Toyo Proxes ST2's and I have almost 30K on those so far. Wearing evenly, ride good and handle pretty well in dry. Wet is ok but better than stock

The V12's are pretty sticky. They are up there with the PS2's, in which Michelin is actually replacing with another badass tire. Nitto's are good too, but I have not had much experience with them so I can't really say how they are.

Murderface

Reaction score
Treadwear on the V12's are 280 which is a harder compound then the Invos I have now:top:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score

I don't thing the issue in the rain is really with the tires, but with the super light ass end of the trucks. A little power and the diff locks up and the ass end kicks. Guys just need to be aware of this and expect it. Wet empty parking lot is a perfect place to "feel" the truck and see what happens. I manage to keep myself out of the ditch with 415hp rippin threw my back tires. :top:

Edgeman

Reaction score

i'm not too worried about that because I always drive pretty darn easy on slick road surfaces. Lets just say I would rather arrive 10 minutes late than crunch a fender in the wet.

I currently have zero reservations about my stockers in the wet.

Murderface

Reaction score
I don't thing the issue in the rain is really with the tires, but with the super light ass end of the trucks. A little power and the diff locks up and the ass end kicks. Guys just need to be aware of this and expect it. Wet empty parking lot is a perfect place to "feel" the truck and see what happens. I manage to keep myself out of the ditch with 415hp rippin threw my back tires. :top:

I'm with u on this, there's no issue with the stock tires and I didn't have any issues with them in the rain. Like u said the truck is light in the ass and with an LSD it's gonna spin or kick the ass out if ur on the gas too much. I don't know what these guys expect the tires to do in the rain? They don't hydroplane any more then my better Nitto Invos either.

Top Bottom