Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

TSB: Deck Side Panel Rattle '05-'07

s/chargedxrunner06

Toyota Master Tech
Reaction score
Here is a fix that is cheap and very easy to do for the XR owners that are over 3 years 36K miles (out of warranty) and side panels are not cracked yet, the way I understand the TSB is that only the X's that are cracked and under 3/ 36 are covered, and that if is not cracked then basically they just inspect and do not install any kind of reinforcement so eventually on down the road and out of warranty it may possibly over time crack, this fix should keep the rear fender panels from cracking by stopping the flex of the fender which is due to very rough roads over time and I didn't say this but wheel hopping doesn't help either, Hope this helps some of our XR owners, You can find a strip of aluminum at Home Depot, Lowes, etc. for just a few dollars.
Attached Thumbnails

Last edited by a moderator:

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
This is a GREAT write-up from our Toyota Master Tech! Would you mind creating a new thread in the How-To forum with this post? This is great information.

Snaps

Reaction score
Update: I just got my truck back from Toyota last Saturday, The work they did is great and they even fixed some other problems I had at no cost. The design they came up with the strengthen the rear quarter seems to work great. I dont really see the need at this point for anything other than what they have done to fix it. Of course I might be singing a different tune if it happens again in 6 months. Anyways, I highly recommend taking your truck in and having this done, for guys in Houston I got the done at Don Mcgill out in Katy. Good luck to the rest of you

Josh

Matt's06

Reaction score
Update: I just got my truck back from Toyota last Saturday, The work they did is great and they even fixed some other problems I had at no cost. The design they came up with the strengthen the rear quarter seems to work great. I dont really see the need at this point for anything other than what they have done to fix it. Of course I might be singing a different tune if it happens again in 6 months. Anyways, I highly recommend taking your truck in and having this done, for guys in Houston I got the done at Don Mcgill out in Katy. Good luck to the rest of you

Josh
Do they also replace the part that gets all the rock chips?

Snaps

Reaction score
Mine didnt have rock chips so I cant say for sure. They do replace the piece over the tire and the piece in front of the rear tire. My particular dealership I went to did a great job, the paint match is perfect seems much more strong.

SupraJunky101

Reaction score
I dropped my truck off today at 8AM to have this done. I get a call at ~2 when it was supposed to be done. " We need to put you in a rental, this needs to go to the body shop"... I go to get a rental, and they wont give it to me because I'm not 21.

•XR•XR•XR•XRing •XR•XR•XR•XRhead, We'll see how long it takes the •XR•XR•XR•XRing retards to mount a new bed, panels etc etc. I told him I wanted all the other TSB's out on the truck to be checked , fixed. Dollars to donuts they arn't going to fix my clutch squeak or my throw out bearing noise.

Had to ride an hour and half to work in the pouring rain on my bike :motz:

/end rant.

PS. Dealerships are about usefull as paper condoms.

Snaps

Reaction score
Thats the other thing that was kind of inconvenient, I had to borrow a car from my folks for a week while I had this done. Be prepared for them to have it for more than a day, and I believe all the work on this TSB is done in the body shop. The body shop is the only place I really talked with through out the process.

SupraJunky101

Reaction score
I just got my truck back about an hour ago.

I go there to pick it up. He tells me they will mail me the paper wor ksince its "recall work". So I said fine and took my truck . I get to the gas station to put gas in it and while the gas is pumping I walk around the truck.

Everything looks fine, until I get to the passenger side. My right rear wheel is •XR•XR•XR•XRing destroyed, there is a huge chunk of metal missing. So I get down to look at it closer and look to my right and see that the washer on the flare bolts look like they are far back. So I grab it, Hand tight, Every bolt on the righ side of my flare/ bed is loose.

So now Im looking into it more, He told me it needed to go to a body shop for welding and paint. I cralwed under my truck in the gas station. There isn't a lick of paint, or welding residue ( Slag, welds, dust ) Nothing.

So after I waited 3 days, I have no idea what they did wit hmy truck, other than destroy my wheel and feed me a line of bull•XR•XR•XR•XR about welding and painting.

I hate dealerships with a burning passion.

:motz:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
did you notify them of all this? I would have went straight back to them and raised some :motz:

SupraJunky101

Reaction score
I have to go back tomorrow, I would of loved to gone back and strangled someone with a tie but I have to work.

I called them and the service writer I dealt with went home for the day. I got there and he was at lunch now he's at home.

•XR•XR•XR•XRing •XR•XR•XR•XR

alaxrunner

Reaction score
got mine back today and it looks great,they had the truck for around 1 day and i got it back today,they gave me a tundra double cab as my rental and i didnt want to return it but i had to.the new pieces of the of the kit they painted looks like it matchs up good.:top:

SupraJunky101

Reaction score
I got a matrix.. Wooopie.

I went in today, The asshole comes out, looks at it and goes "We'll order a wheel" and walks away. No Thanks for coming back in.. No "sorry that this happend" " Well get it fixed for you" . Nothing, just walks away. •XR•XR•XR•XRing prick.

Ill stop hijacking this thread.

What it boils down to, you take your life in your hands trying to deal with these morons.

Last edited:

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
Parts are finally in to get this TSB done, but have to wait till the 4th of Spetember, cause the body shop is so backed up. NEW Flares, no chips, well for awhile anyway :biggrin:
If anyone was curious what ya get, here's the pic of parts...

100_0853.JPG

Xample

Reaction score
it sux cause ive never seen a new vehicle chip like the x....its a damn shame!!

Xample

Reaction score
by the wat glenn got my stuff from rob! puttin them on this weekend...new tank is way better...thank him for me please

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Parts are finally in to get this TSB done, but have to wait till the 4th of Spetember, cause the body shop is so backed up. NEW Flares, no chips, well for awhile anyway :biggrin:
If anyone was curious what ya get, here's the pic of parts...

100_0853.JPG

i had my truck in for the tsb, but i guess they forgot to send some of the parts to be painted, so I didn't get it fixed yet and I have to make another appointment :motz: I hate being without my truck

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
TSB update, my baby is bottomless, kinda, sorta...anyway Thanks to Ben at Toyota West Collision Center for snapping off some shots of my X while under re-construction. The cracks in the metal were severe, being welded and repainted under the skirt...

TSB3.jpg
Bottomless

TSB4.jpg
New Hardware

TSB1.jpg
Cracking

Blahhhh

Last edited:
Top Bottom