Turbo vs TRD S/C

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by JPAYNE722, Jan 7, 2013.

?

Turbo vs TRD S/C

Poll closed Feb 6, 2013.
  1. STS TURBO

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. TRD SUPERCHARGER

65 vote(s)
    86.7%
  1. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I like TRD simply because you don't need the custom tuner, or piping. Just the reflash and it's good to go.

2. zacksblacktaco

zacksblacktaco New Member

id say bite your lip and go urd...

3. Murderface

Murderface New Member

Says the guy with thousands more to go

4. roy365

roy365 New Member

I vote TRD kit of the two you mentioned. For a few reasons........the first being an OEM plug & play kit from TRD with it's simplicity. The next being the amount of work and money for the install process. Also you won't get any of the dreaded STS turbo lag from a TRD kit. Hit the gas and feel the instant HP produced instead of spooling the turbo on the STS kit.

Not sure how you feel about resale value, or ease of selling parts if you decide to move on, but the TRD kit is way ahead on this aspect. You can sell a TRD kit with ease on several forums.

Trucks generally benefit from a S/C more because of the instant torque we lack from the factory N/A setup.

5. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

I assure u theres little to no lag on that kit...the turbo is upgraded..

6. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

Have u got ur blower back yet^

7. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Hopefully this week it gets shipped...

8. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

Sweet keep us updated

9. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Yeah just waitin...

10. Toon714

Toon714 New Member

Twin turbo. ;)

11. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

Thats all you buddy,you know therez one allready in like costa rica or somwhere,saw it on youtube lol :top:

12. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

There are two in Florida as well. O_O

13. X-roller

X-roller New Member

Sts is junk... don't buy it. It only made 450 rwhp on 6 psi. Seriously this market is never going to expand because everyone likes to nut ride all day. Sik x explained it fairly well in a thread. F/I will make power as long as its made correctly and tuned properly. I have zero issues with my sts kit. So keep on claiming problems for a system that you aren't even running.... I am running this system and am experiencing everything first hand.... no problems here and the kit is very effecient. So please tell me what problems there is with the sts system so I can clear all of your hard heads.... otherwise you are just talking out of what you read on the internet and we all know what we find online has to be true right??? :laugh: oh yeah and for all you lag folks. Full boost on a big snail like mine hits at 3k in second gear and at about 2700 in 3rd gear.... 64mm turbonetics... its bigger than a gt35r....

Now to answer the op's question. Reliability goes out the window when you go turbo route just due to the fact that a turbo kits limit is what the turbo is capable of putting out. A wastgate spring can fail and will cause huge spikes in psi and that means bye bye engine. A supercharger on the other hand is a little more reliable because that is way more controlled due to the psi is relevant to the size of pulley that is on the supercharger. No huge boost spikes are possible with a supercharger since the supercharger is not capable of pushing a ton of psi but is still capable of making your engine a ticking time bomb. The most reliable is what trd sport said. Naturally aspirated. F/I is fun but it cost money to go fast and you learn that first hand when you go f/i

#33 X-roller, Jan 8, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 8, 2013
  14. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

I just dont know how or who would tune my x1 if i go the turbo route :hmmmm2:

15. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Don't go much over 200% load, and have it be a twin setup, with a pair of good journal bearing turbos, and you will be golden. :top:

16. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Or you can spend less then a grand on a decent nitrous setup and rape. :laugh:

If I did it all over again id buy the TRD blower, run a 8 PSI pulley, run a set of headers, drop in a better fuel pump, and run a 50 shot of nitrous.

Call it a day.

Total spent less then 4,500 bucks with double the fun.

17. TurboTrck

TurboTrck Member

I have had all three, the TRD, STS and now the URD. All on different vehicles but still.

-The TRD was the "safe" route. It looked and performed great. I did not pulley it or anything. It was on an FJ. That FJ moved out after that install. The price was the most affordable as well.

- The STS was on my 03 Silverado with the 5.3. There was very little lag with my setup. I was disappointed in the way that they price the kit. Its highway robbery. Also they have been known to blow motors due to the little solenoid that they use to vent the crankcase. If you read pretty much any forum that they make kits for, you will find this over and over again. I went to a catch can instead. The kit is not a slap it on and race type kit. First you have to redo all the things that they refuse to do or bye bye motor. Then you need tuning and what not, so 7k later you might have something.

- The URD has to be my favorite of the 3 so far. When the boost hits, holy shit, its nice. The ease of installation was a good thing as well. I am still checking this system out so I will report back after a year or so, to give you the real skinny on it.

18. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

19. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Same exact scenario I went through. :motz:

20. TurboTrck

TurboTrck Member

Thats sucks bro, its so easy just to provide a ready to go kit, yet they refuse to do so. Little do they know, their kits are a joke amongst the street world.