Turbo vs TRD S/C

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by JPAYNE722, Jan 7, 2013.

?

Turbo vs TRD S/C

Poll closed Feb 6, 2013.
  1. STS TURBO

10 vote(s)
    13.3%
  2. TRD SUPERCHARGER

65 vote(s)
    86.7%
  1. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Yeah that harsh torque is why SDXrunner is sooo slow. haha

2. Ccaruolo

Ccaruolo New Member

new URD pulleys for the TRD blower, curious to see what kind of numbers people will put up!

3. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

30 to 40 hp too

4. sdxrunner619

sdxrunner619 Active Member

~20WHP per pulley upgrade.

5. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

How much does a urd mk1 s/c put out,just straight outta the box

6. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Not near the MKIII.

7. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

w/e the TRD system puts out, double it - that's where the MK1 is at.

8. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

9. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

At least dude TRD sucks. :laugh:

Ah the good ol' days of that argument.

10. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

^^^ Haha. You sly devil you.

11. Bradleys72

Bradleys72 New Member

Supercharged. Beastie!!

Trd to be exact lol :laugh:

#91 Bradleys72, Jan 12, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2013
  12. sdxrunner619

Not much...lol

Smallest pulley on it, larger 7th inj. ....you might break 350, but that is a very peaky set up. Really nothing happens below 3,500-4k. :laugh:

13. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

wow are u serious?

14. sdxrunner619

I've had a mrk1 "stage 3". It was adequate i suppose, but it wasn't cutting it for what i wanted to do. For $2 grand i payed for a 3rd hand MRK1, i wasn't complaining.

I remember Gadget telling me i should have kept the MRk1, as i was probably making more power with it... Yup, i wouldn't doubt it. Peak power was probably higher (with the mrk1) at the time (stock re-flash, 7psi). The thing that kiddies always forget is that there is A LOT more to going fast, then mearly peak numbers. :rockon: Thats why i cant help but laugh every time i hear some v-tak kiddie bragging about how much power he makes...on paper it sounds good, in reality, all the power is un-reachable, but only for the most briefest moments.

With what im doing in my truck, i don't always find my self in power band of URD set-up, so i need the instant bottom end torque/power of the TRD S/C. Because of the useless-ness of 1st gear, and gap going into 2nd, i need to have the bottom end power to keep the ass end out, in slower corners. Same goes for 3rd gear, its slightly too tall for my liking, so once again the bottom end torque comes into play. :top:

MRKII or III are significantly more improved then the MRK1. Power comes in sooner, (about 3krpms), and peak power is increased significantly. They are an excellent kit, but the drawbacks of a Rotrex blower don't work for my needs. If only i could combine the best of both worlds... :wink:

15. TommyXrunner

TommyXrunner New Member

haha hey no complaining here. as expensive as it may be i don't regret buying this blower at all! amazing low end torque is the best feeling you can have in any vehicle and thats what you get with the trd blower :top: i finally got my fuel pump/filter upgrade kit so might be spending another grand or so this spring if work keeps busy. plus i haven't even lowered the truck yet.....

what are the costs of running nitrous? and how long do the bursts actually last before the tubes empty? i'm sure it would be well worth it for a 1/4 mile

#95 TommyXrunner, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  16. JPAYNE722

JPAYNE722 Active Member

About 700 for everythang

17. Workman3886

Workman3886 New Member

If and when I go F/I I will be going TRD for a few different reasons, I love scream of the TRD sc, I love the looks of it, and the pull all the way from idle. I know the hp output isn't as high as the URD or a turbo system, but for the price I just can't say no!

18. whippersnapper02

19. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

How long is pretty subjective to more then a few things so there is no real way to definitively give you an answer like: A 10 lb bottle lasts x amount of time.

Most of your deciding variables are:

- Bottle size (and how full - overfull or underfull) For example: Do you have 11 lbs or 9 lbs in your 10 lb bottle.
    - Usage technique (purging, cracking lines open, etc..),
    - how long the run is (how long do you spend at WOT)
    - how much gaseous nitrous is wasted (you want to keep it in liquid form and you lose some via expansion which is dependent on a couple things)
    - rpm range you are spraying in (are you spraying over 1K, 2K, 3K RPMs per gear?)
    - how many gears you are spraying in (2nd? 3rd? 4th? 5th?)
    - How consistant is bottle pressure? (pressure drops as you discharge the cylinder which = less nitrous delivery). Use a heater, or a pressure assistance system (like external nitrogen assist systems), or both and you will be more consistent but use more then you would with out it.
    - Etc... You get the variable point by now

But to break it down I would say average street use on a 5 lb bottle on a 35-50 shot you will get about 25-30 all out runs (2nd,3rd, 4th gear highway pulls over a usable wide RPM range).

How much does nitrous cost per pound? Around 2-3 bucks (depending on who you buy it from obviously).

:biggrin::top:

20. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

I put my soap box and tinfoil hat away on this topic :laugh:, but to close it out -

You are correct in your reasoning (tax) - however they say its for "safety" reasons.

Which if the safety factor was entirely true they wouldn't mandate that all small quantity (1 gallon or less) box store available (lowes/home depot/etc..) non-recreational spirit based products be "denatured" (denaturing is the process of "poisoning" the product so that it can not be orally consumed).

:top:

/End