Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Ucon, headers, exhaust, general questions...

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
It seems a little quiet around here so I thought I would liven the place up a bit.

I am about to do some nice upgrades to my 2005 Tacoma TRD, I have 165K on the engine, 110K on the blower and I am at 35K since the last snout re-build. Last year I put in a nice URD clutch, so thankfully that is out of the way.

Aside from having the blower re-built, I am installing:

Ucon-EMS
URD Spec-U LT headers
URD Y-pipe
240 amp alternator
upgraded Johnson CM30P7-1 IC pump ( 50% more fluid rate )
New set of IHK24 plugs
Serpentine and blower belt replacement
And if I can find the darn bearings, new idler / tensioner bearings all around.

A few questions come to mind right off:

1. I do some very rough off road, don’t want the UCON coming unplugged, is there protocol beyond the instructions I should consider in securing it?

2. I am running a wideband AFR gauge, sensor is on the passenger side header at the moment. Will I easily be able to put the sensor in the new URD header and if not, what is my next move on that?

3. I have one pulley that squeals for about 15-30 seconds in cold temps in the Winter ( not sure which one ), I feel like I could live with it but with the mileage on the truck, would feel better if everything was new. I have no idea how to source the pulley bearings ( new pulleys would be about $500 ) Any tips on this?

That’s it for now!

Peace,

ASC

Last edited:

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
I'm adding a 7th injector, nixed the pulleys except for the squealer which will likely reveal it self as stiff.

Figured out the sensor placements.

Woot on....

SgtBadA

Reaction score
I have a UCON and it velcros to the stock computer and then it comes with a pretty large zip tie to hold it in place. As for the exhaust the sensor should just come out and go into the other one, the harness may not be long enough to reach though and then you can either order some extensions or make your own extensions. Hope that helps

STONER-X

Reaction score
I have a Johnson cm30 and a large water to air cooler if you are interested

easts1d3

Reaction score
The bearings are a bastard size, you would most likey have to install a bushing to take up the ID

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I might give those bearings a try, price is certainly right.

easts1d3

Reaction score
Oh.. Nevermind my previous comment then lol

autobodyX

Reaction score
The bearing size is very common. A lot of alternators us this bearing. You can buy them in several different brands.

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
The bearing size is very common. A lot of alternators us this bearing. You can buy them in several different brands.

That is what the shop manager at my dealership told me too, said it made a lot more sense than paying for pulleys.

Anyway, I snagged a set of 4 for $11 shipped, that ought to take care of a couple of squealers...

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That's a good deal there. :top:

Aspen_S/C

Reaction score
Well the pulley bearings were not the right size, so good thing it was a good deal, found the squealer though, replaced it with a new one.

On the bright side, the all new exhaust goes in today, in the shop right now. I decided to just go all new from the engine block clear back to the tailpipe, Spec-U headers and full 3" Spec-U exhaust, what's another $500, lol!

In the meantime, the 7th injector, new plugs, UCON-EMS, cam gears....wow...fa-reaking smooth man!

Before I did this mod, I was getting a lean condition at around the happy spot of 1-3 psi boost, 30-40 TPS, 3,500 rpms and 60-70% load. I would put in a little pedal and get ping, annoying as shit. I would also get odd fuel cut like blips on accelerations in the lower gears. Now no matter what parameters I put on the motor, it is healthy and unbelievably smooth. I did throw a few non-critical codes for the first 2-3 times I drove it but then it self tuned and found it's happy place. On one particular trip that went over a 12,000 ft pass twice, I got around 20MPG....that is with a full loaded camper that tips the truck's weight over 1,000 pounds over stock.

So I imagine it will need to re-tune it self after the new headers and exhaust are installed and all will be right in the world again. At a hair over 8 grand ( did other work, over 5K in parts ) this was by no means cheap, but the truck has to have close to 70K into it by now with the super tech solar powered camper, etc so this was SO worth doing.

And of course Gadget is a great resource with a firm but patient demeanor of 1GRFE "Mentorship".

I'll update once I get the exhaust broken in...

Last edited:
Top Bottom