Urd fuel pump filter...

Discussion in 'F/I Mods & Tuning' started by sdxrunner619, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

Oh yeah u can do it yourself. i did, and had a little help over the phone from my buddy 1GR

2. Blasphemous

Blasphemous New Member

Cool, I imagine it comes with instructions, which I will read 1bazillion times before the install.

Looks like I am sending some more moo-lah Gadgets way :). :top:

3. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

A common Walbro 255 (if you didnt already replace your OEM pump) and a external quality fuel filter is all you need.

I like the spin on water separating, 5 micron, high flow, multi input/output fuel filter setups that RAMCO offers. They are compatible with all methanol, ethanol, race fuels, etc...

http://www.ramcoperformance.com/flomax.htm

You can do both the pump and filter setup for around $185.00

You can also change the filter one handed with out jacking up the truck or getting under it.

Really its a great filter setup for the money and is what I ran on my truck with all kinds of fuel.

#23 5H4D0WD347H, Feb 4, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2012
  4. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

Yeah I did it myself also, since youve never done it before just make sure to reserve an entire afternoon for it. Just dont do what I did...

Jacked up truck,
    Dropped tank,
    Busted out the dremel and crimpers and went to town,
    reinstalled tank,
    dropped truck,
    turned ignition on, heard absolutely no fuel pump noise,
    got blind with rage,
    jacked up truck,
    dropped tank, again,
    checked all connections,
    reinstalled tank,
    dropped truck,
    turned ignition on, still nothing...

then I realized that the fuel pump on this truck doesnt kick on with the ignition. It kicks on when the starter does. It made me feel like a complete jackass. I clicked the starter for a quarter of a second, and heard the fuel pump buzz to life and pressurize the fuel lines...I wanted to point and laugh at myself lol.

5. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Oh snap mark.... You bastard didnt see your post.

lol.

6. Blasphemous

Blasphemous New Member

Oh wow that would drive me insane if I expected it to turn on and it didn't...

Would you guys suggest confirming that the pump works before I go to install it? I imagine it will work, but I would hate to be chasing my tail attempting to diagnose an issue that isn't really my problem.

And I don't think I will have to jack my truck up thankfully :)

7. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

I don't think it would be good to run it dry, im sure they get checked before sending them out. If you just make sure your connections are solid, you really shouldn't have a problem. You may be able to connect it to the battery for a quick second to make sure it kicks on, but it might not be great on the pump to do that. Someone may know more than me if there is a way to test it.

8. Tunedx

Tunedx Active Member

When u go this route how would u bypass oem fuel pump and where did u mount this pump?

9. 5H4D0WD347H

5H4D0WD347H New Member

Just drop the pump in the tank bucket... Secure it with a stainless cable tie if you want it to be quick and easy. Its hard to explain with out you seeing what im talking about but once you take it all apart you will understand what you need to do, its pretty self explanatory.

Mount this filter setup underneath the truck to a part of the frame (crossmember) and your fuel comes in and goes out :-D.

Then to change the filter all you do is reach under the truck, unscrew the old filter, and spin on a new one (like an oil filter).

10. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

I'be now the ability to do it in 30 minutes. Literally. 4 jack stands, and a motorcycle jack for the tank are how i do it. A regular jack will work as well. Just be sure to be less than 5 gallons in the tank. :top:

11. Blasphemous

Blasphemous New Member

That's a lot of jack stands... would you care to elaborate?

12. sdxrunner619

sdxrunner619 Active Member

To support the truck on all 4 corners, off the ground, so you can pull the gas tank out. :top:

13. Blasphemous

Blasphemous New Member

Hmmm...

Is there not enough room to do it without jackstands?

I have a PreRunner btw. I guess this question is moreso directed at Torpsd because he has a 4x4.

14. Ridefoxone

Ridefoxone Member

Does anyone running the URD fuel upgrade kit have any problems choking out with less than a 1/4 tank non supercharged applications? Or is it just the supercharged applications. I know mine starts choking out right at 1/4 tank using the walbro, and has since install. Almost like you loose that 1/4 tank in between fill ups, Just curious

15. Murderface

Murderface New Member

Never any probs since I installed my URD kit some 2 yrs ago. I also change mine every other oil change, around 10K(can't be too careful cause u can't see what's goin into ur tank). This is useful if u like to run the tank down till the warning light comes on, every once in a while I'll do that but try not to. I always use Sunoco 93 but who knows when ur getting the bottom of the barrel. Wouldn't mind adding a gas/water separator especially during spring/summer when I run E85 a lot

16. Super Werty

Super Werty New Member

17. 1GRracer

1GRracer "Pete"

^yes.........

18. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

One guy with a dremel and a few hand tools. :)

19. Baggins44

Baggins44 New Member

Thread revive. Anyone ever done a write up on this?

20. dpartinvr4

dpartinvr4 New Member

You get directions with pictures from urd.