URD Spec-U Exhaust

Discussion in 'Underdog Racing Development (URD)' started by Gadget, Feb 28, 2014.

1. x-runner kid

x-runner kid Active Member

I finally fixed mine. Two resonators welded in just after the O2 sensor bungs. I'll do a better explanation of it tomorrow when I have more time.

2. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Ya but it defeats the purpose. You go cat less for no restriction and the ability to tune it just a little hotter. By adding cats back in you have to tune it richer and even if they're "high flow" they're still a bottleneck. I have faith, a solution can and will be found.

3. x-runner kid

I think you read that wrong buddy. Resonators not cats by any means. They are straight through 2.25" same as the spec-u system Y they are slightly larger on the outside. No restriction at all. Sound is exactly the same minus that horrible rasp.

Attached Files:

4. x-runner kid

This is the inside no different in restriction from the resonator that's already in place in the system just a different shape. No need to look for a solution I already found one haha. Only cost me $50 per vibrant resonator and $20 for the stainless arc welding rod and my time.

Attached Files:

Torspd likes this.
  5. fishsticks

fishsticks Because fast lifted truck.

What P/N did you use?

6. x-runner kid

I should have time to get some pictures tomorrow as well as get a much more in depth explaination of how and what I did. Not likely to do a full write up but at the least something to help those with the same issue.

7. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

That I did

8. throwinsparksatu

did you put one in each pipe on the y pipe?

9. fishsticks

I ordered a pair or resonators, Vibrant P/N 1790 (2.25"x12"). They'll be here Monday. I'll burn em in Monday afternoon if work lets out early.

10. Tom2769

Tom2769 Member

XRKid, thanks for stepping up and figuring out a fix for this issue. I've temporarily swapped back to my old exhaust until a fix was found - just couldn't take the buzzing anymore.

Fish, post up your results when you get them burned in...

11. x-runner kid

So glad to have the forum up and running again I will have to get new pictures as I somehow managed to put my phone is the washer machine on Tuesday. I will take some time tomorrow to use the go pro and go through my laptop and post up some pictures and videos of the system for all to see my fix and hopefully it helps others as well as G to put a stop to rasp.

12. akakrill

akakrill Member

Not complaining, but that's what that sound is.. I couldn't pin point it for the life of me.... it is not effecting performance or afr as far as I can tell. The hiss on mine accelerating under load sounds like a leaking charged intake pipe. A minor issue really.. but if your revising the design, count me in...

13. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Fixed for you :rolleyes:

14. x-runner kid

So where was the hissing coming from then?

15. fishsticks

I thought I had a boost leak as well. I even made a thread about it on here awhile back. I tore my truck apart looking for it until I realized it was the exhaust.

16. fishsticks

The resonators made a massive improvement. Cab noise at 2000-2500 RPM while under load is reduced and the hiss/rasp/resonance/whatevermarketingfriendlytermyouwanttocallit is gone. This thing actually sounds like an $1100 exhaust now.

If you want to add these, you will need the updated passenger side collector pipe that G sent out. The resonator won't fit between the bends on the original piece. I don't know if G is still making these available or not.

I took pictures if anyone wants to do a DIY.

Torspd likes this.
  17. Torspd

Torspd Moderator
    Staff Member

Post up the pictures already. Mr. Cliffhanger

18. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Do it but create your own thread, we can link it from here but I think we should stop cluttering G's thread.

19. x-runner kid

I have been dealing with phone issues but I should have something up in a new thread by the end of today. Sorry for the delay and the clutter on G's thread.

20. fishsticks