Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

wet sanding/polishing

larojax-r

Reaction score
hey guys, i scrapped my front bumper on a fence, my buddy fixed/painted it for me, but i need to wet sand it and polish it, never done that. whats the best way to do that, thanks for ur advice.

Gutz

Reaction score
Use 1000 grit wet sandpaper and lightly sand the areas that look really "orange peely"......then follow that with a 2000 grit wet sandpaper.....make sure to get it all with the 2000 grit, minus the hard to see/reach areas..Then use a buffer with a wool buffing pad and some rubbing compund to remove these wet sanding scratches. After that, use some polishing compund with a foam pad to bring out even more shine.....Follow this with some wax, a good wash, then some had polish...... :top:

RumRunner

Reaction score
Use 1000 grit wet sandpaper and lightly sand the areas that look really "orange peely"......then follow that with a 2000 grit wet sandpaper.....make sure to get it all with the 2000 grit, minus the hard to see/reach areas..Then use a buffer with a wool buffing pad and some rubbing compund to remove these wet sanding scratches. After that, use some polishing compund with a foam pad to bring out even more shine.....Follow this with some wax, a good wash, then some had polish...... :top:

Gutz knows his stuff.. i'd use a little dishsoap in the water for a little lubrication and it makes a faster cut, I usually use 1500 before 2000 to get all the 1000 grit scratches out... but the buffer cant take care of this step too :top:

really simple.. just be patient and dont sand through

05H0TWHEELS

Reaction score
make sure you cover all the 1000 grit scratches with the 2000 it will show if you dont, its all about time and effort

Amarillo X

Reaction score
The only problem with a wool pad is the mess and they give some nasty swirl marks. We sanded up to 3000 grit when finishing my X, but we were going for show car smooth. All I use 1000 grit for is getting out the trash "denibbing", hit it all with 1500 followed by 2000
and then get u a couple of foam pads one for compound one for glaze. Get some good 3m product and get after it. The best glaze is 3m swirl mark remover. Go on your buffers slowest setting and I promise you will outshine others

SX TOY

Reaction score
I just used 1000 to 2000 to foam pad on a die grinder w/finishing polish it just takes patience
thumb_smiley-vault-star-wars-006.gif

Top Bottom