Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

What kind of oil are you running?

CJX-RUNNER

Reaction score
If you cut my truck open it would bleed RP purple currently. However I'm switching straight to Amsoil during its next calling!:top: Look at all the tests, Royal Purple isn't that great unfortunately:frown:

WrecKaGeJPX

Reaction score
i started off using castrol full synthetic cause i have never had a problem with them but the past few changes has been mobil 1 5w30 and she seems to run more like a champ

ceemeetwo

Reaction score
ive tried QS, Valvoline, I WILL NEVER touch Pennsoil because of sludge, RP, M1, Castrol, and honestly I prefer M1. RP gets expensive, QS is ok, Valvoline i liked, RP did increase my MPG by 1, and Castrol i liked. For the price/performance of these oils i'd stick with M1 because get a 5qt jug of it at Wal-Fart and a Toyota G1 (yes i know it takes 6qts and a D3 oil filter, but a G1 is just shallower and moe shiney) for $30. I currently have 66,000 on my 08 X with no problems yet.

Last edited:

Super Werty

Reaction score
Mobil 1 full synthetic....Great oil....Seen an actual decrease in Engine Temp on the Gauge cluster. Pretty impressive if you ask me. I might switch over to royal purple....I don't know yet though.

Do you have an aftermarket gauge? Cause the only temp gauge thats comes on the truck is coolant...I dont see how it could actually affect the coolant temps

THE MACF

Reaction score
Royal Purple 5w-30. Those running 0w-30 have you had any problems? like it more? I was thinking about switching over..

Wayne R

Reaction score
i kno its not the best but i worked there and its free and im broke so why not i only have 6k on the truck and today its getting its 3rd oil change

I get them "free" oil changes , too......My X has had 3 oil changes. I get them every 6 months (truck has about 1800 miles on it).

There are some good lubricants available today, for sure......:smile:

However, the BEST of anything is always "subjective" and definitely a topic for many a heated debate.....:biggrin:

Two mechanics I know (both Toyota Master Techs) actually said they run conventional motor oil in their vehicle engines (Tundras) and preferred it. However, they use, and encourage the use of the synthetics in the Trannies and Differentials......:hmmmm2:

When I bought my '88 Toyota FWD Pickup (in 1987), I asked what motor oil to run in it?. The answer was: Penzoil 10W40. I ran this oil for the entire time I owned the vehicle (nearly 15 years and 250k miles) I changed the oil and filter myself every 3k (thats about 80 times :biggrin:). Anyway, when I traded the truck in for the 2002 Tundra I have now, the mechanic said, "that's the cleanest engine inside I have ever seen on any vehicle with any amount of miles on it". This engine (22RE) at 250k miles had no significant wear, did not consume any significant amout of oil between changes, and never leaked a drop, spark plugs still tan, and no smoke. This engine ran smooth and still had plenty of power. All this on "conventional" motor oil.....:wink: Traded the truck in cuz I needed more towing capacity. A sad day, indeed.

When I bought my '02 Tundra SR5 V8, again I asked what motor oil to run in it?. The answer was: Castrol GTX 5W30. Later on about 50k miles, I switched to Castrol Syntec 5W30. Now at 77k on the Tundra and all is well. I noted no difference in the performance of the vehicle when I switched oils. Only time will tell.

moonrunner

Reaction score
I will most likely change mine over to Castrol Edge on my next oil change.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
mobil1 Fs.....everytime i say ill switch to amsoil....but my oil needs changing and i end up with the m1. :dontknow:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Royal Purple 5w-30. Those running 0w-30 have you had any problems? like it more? I was thinking about switching over..

I don't think there is much difference between the 0W and 5W. The 0W protects colder temps if I'm not mistaken.

mobil1 Fs.....everytime i say ill switch to amsoil....but my oil needs changing and i end up with the m1. :dontknow:

get that preferred membership bro. you'll save money and you can change your oil less so it pays off. Just change the filter a time or too between changes.

5w50? why?

yeah, why 50?

Last edited:
Reaction score
RoyalPurple 5w30 w/K&N filter from first change now have 41+k...

I wanted to change to Amsoil sooner but want to use the last K&N filters I got left...

Trick61

Reaction score
Thanks!
Those of you using AMSOIL, what is the best way to get it, place?

DoubleD

Reaction score
Amsoil 0w-30

Thanks!

Click on the link below and sign up as a preferred customer
https://www.amsoil.com/accountmaintenance.aspx

$10 is for six months and
$20 is for an entire year.

When you clink on the link when your filling out your info as a new customer if you could put in my referral number

Signing up as a preferred customer will let you save money and you will make up that cost with your first purchase!!
Its really great stuff!
PM me if you have any more questions!
Or call (949)285-2289

Last edited:

rich017

Reaction score
Thanks!

Any racing shop or family owned automotive shop should have it. Found 2 places that sell it within 3 miles of my house yesterday when i was running around

08XRUN

Reaction score
You may want to check with NAPA because our local one keeps it on the shelf. I switched to Amsoil oil and filter on my first oil change and so far I've been real happy with it.

Top Bottom