Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Why is the 1grfe weak?

III

Reaction score
Well I plan to use twin 6262 turbo so whatever that can push out will be my limit I guess if I have enough fuel to feed it. But I'm actually looking for a 2012 motor to build on the side. Thanks!

hurry up and do this, and den donate your SC to me please. mahalos.. :stupid: haha

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Rods, pistons, head studs, and head gaskets, and you'll make an easy 600 whp with those. 8 psi will be around 400 whp.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
You put faith in the wrong shop. All I've got tl say about that.

OP, your vebicle. Weigh the costs of what you want to do, of the various options, against your ultimate goal. Then you'll know what fits your desire.

If you want a really strong engine, the 2JZ or related engines, such as the land cruiser engine which Iniazy mentioned. RB engines. M or S series engines from BMW. Bad boy RZ Tacoma engines (mad power makers).

Coyote engines. (4 cams are better than one :eviltongue:)

Or just build the one you have. Gasp.

Your vehicle. Your choice.

iniazy

Reaction score
To counter the ls 5.3s breaking yes it can happen. It can happen to any motor. The plus side is you can go to a junk yard or find one online for cheap. It cost me 2300$ for a used 1gr and I can get a lq4. For in the neighbour hood of 800$

Don't get me wrong I loved my supercharged 1gr and miss that blowoff valve. But for me I wanted more and I wanted to do the swap and I didn't want to spend that much lol

Well yes, the 1GRs are quite expensive in the junk yards, I'm not sure why, as they seem to be widely available.

I've bought a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 engine (VQ35) from Sharjah, UAE for almost $700 only. That was one cheap engine, and was almost new. Why is the 1GR so much more expensive is a mystery to me.

Reaction score
Well yes, the 1GRs are quite expensive in the junk yards, I'm not sure why, as they seem to be widely available.

I've bought a Nissan Pathfinder 2005 engine (VQ35) from Sharjah, UAE for almost $700 only. That was one cheap engine, and was almost new. Why is the 1GR so much more expensive is a mystery to me.

How much does a 1gr cost?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Best price I have purchased one for was $1300. That was roughly 60k miles, and one to two oil changes in its life, prior to me purchasing it. SMH.

Reaction score
Best price I have purchased one for was $1300. That was roughly 60k miles, and one to two oil changes in its life, prior to me purchasing it. SMH.

Is that a bad price for an engine? How would you know you bought a good one?

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Got mine for 1200. With an auto trans. Had roughly 8000 miles. Still thank deathshadow to this day for that deal lol

Reaction score
so what all is needed to build these motors? my dad claims he wants to start building his (which means I need to do mine better) and how much will it cost? I have an N/A motor, and drive a lot, so id want longer life out of the thing.

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
Does anyone offer a sleeve kit for our motors nowadays?

Gadget

Reaction score
Yes. URD worked with Darton to develop the mid sleeve kit for this engine. TorSpd helped with a junk block that we sent to them that was sliced into many sections.

Phracker

Reaction score
When do the 1GR stock internals start to fail? 400hp/400tq sounds like when when the engine and transmission both give up on life.

I had a E30 with the 2.5L M20 engine and the thing was bullet proof. I love my X-runner, but do miss the Bimmer sometimes (Rust and all).

XMPLRY808

Reaction score
Yes. URD worked with Darton to develop the mid sleeve kit for this engine. TorSpd helped with a junk block that we sent to them that was sliced into many sections.

Thanks! I looked in Urd and there was nothing but I found it on BC website. Thanks again!

Last edited:

MiamiChillin

Reaction score
When do the 1GR stock internals start to fail? 400hp/400tq sounds like when when the engine and transmission both give up on life.

I had a E30 with the 2.5L M20 engine and the thing was bullet proof. I love my X-runner, but do miss the Bimmer sometimes (Rust and all).

I personally wouldnt go more than 400. Theres some dudes at a little more than that I believe that are still going. If I would want more than 400 in this truck, like everyone mostly agrees, LS swap with the T56.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Gadget's XR is making mid 500's.

Phracker

Reaction score
I don't think Gadget is running stock internals, could be wrong though.

Life finds unique ways to spend your money.

Gadget

Reaction score
No, I am running a forged stroker assembly now. I was running a stock engine for a very long time at 450 RWHP. It had about 100,000 boosted miles on it and it was getting tired. Starting to burn oil and acting like it was starting to loose compression.

The new setup seems very solid. I have not had any issues at all and had taken it on two long road trips. Need to get it to VIR and really run it!!

G

Top Bottom