Why people black out headlights with HID

Discussion in 'Exterior Modifications' started by metalpeddler88, Apr 18, 2014.

1. metalpeddler88

metalpeddler88 New Member

Forgive me for the dumb question... I'm trying to plan out my Retrofit HID headlights, and I see that most people who do retrofits also do the black headlight mod. Is this just an aesthetic thing, or is there more reasoning to do this? I'm just wondering if the HIDs would still reflect off of the stock chrome housings and create glare for other drivers.

I'm planning on going with The Retrofit Source complete kit, with shrouds. I also plan on using the Depo headlights with black bezels ([ame]http://www.amazon.com/Depo-312-1186P-US2-Toyota-Tacoma-Headlight/dp/B005XRPNYI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1397869199&sr=8-1&keywords=tacoma+depo+headlights[/ame]). I'd prefer not to black out the housings, mainly because my painting skills still need work, and I only want to rip apart a headlight once. :rolleyez:

I guess my question is, why do people black out the headlights along with retrofits, instead of leaving them chrome? I suppose this could also be an unofficial poll.

I did a quick search and didn't find anything, although I could be overlooking the answer. :dontknow:

2. justin13703

justin13703 Active Member

The only reason is personal preference. There is no effect on light output either way.

3. Sproulesxrunner

Sproulesxrunner Active Member

It is just for looks. If you like the look of the fully blacked out headlight you could paint the reflector in black plastic dip and if you screw up just peel it off and try it again.

4. metalpeddler88

Ok, that's what I kinda figured, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks guys! :smile:

5. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Preference.

I like my reflector bowls stock...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

devan08 likes this.
  6. metalpeddler88

Those look sweet. That's what I am hoping to achieve, but without the eyelids. I wasn't going to do halos, but now looking at yours, I may reconsider. :top:

7. TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew New Member

The shroud looks incredibly small for the reflector, so a bit awkward, but looks like a great install you did. :top:

8. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Thank you.

:adore: From you, I take that as a major compliment.

BTW, I didn't have a shroud option back when I did mine.

9. Large

Large New Member

Aesthetics only, you can keep them chrome or paint them. I plan on doing my next set by shipping the housing and getting them hydro-dipped in carbon fiber. Here are my current ones:

[​IMG]

10. metalpeddler88

I ended up not painting them, and I like them.
    Sorry, I stole your idea BSP06XRU. :wink:

Attached Files:

11. TRSAndrew

TRSAndrew New Member

12. Large

Large New Member

How does I real carbon fiber?

13. metalpeddler88

I saw this at TW. Definitely interesting, but whew, the moneys. Wallet hurts just thinking of it. Looks like he has some crazy plans. :smile:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/li...rojector-retrofit-completed-headlights-8.html

14. X_Less

X_Less Member

Hydrographics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEjrtBprlo

Cheaper than you think, It also looks really cheap and fake too when you get close to it.

[​IMG]
    Real carbon fiber
    [​IMG]

The fake is just like a grey and black checkered pattern, While real carbon fiber has like a 3D affect and it doesn't have imperfections like unusual curved weaves.

Notice the straight carbon fiber weaves in the bends
    [​IMG]

See the wave the "weave" makes around the turn signals and how wide each "weave" gets...
    [​IMG]

#14 X_Less, Aug 8, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 8, 2014