Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Adding Extra Bed D-Rings

project-c2

Reaction score
I have been wondering how to do this. Found it on TN. Credit goes to MrGrimm on TN for this one. Good now I can tie down my streetbike in the bed without worry.

Items Needed:
  • (1) Part Number PT785-35054. Includes 2 D-rings, ranging from $19 to $30. The $19 is the internet price and the $30 is the average dealership price.
  • (1) T-55 Torx bit which will cost about $4
  • (1) Ratchet wrench that fits your Torx bit above
  • A device that will grind down the bed bolt (like a dremel or screw driver with a grinding drum attached.
  • Spray paint to paint over the area you just ground down.
First off, I am not taking credit for this DIY because many have done it but nobody has put all of the information together in a DIY. This DIY will take you less than 15 minutes to complete and will help you out a lot if you plan on hauling anything heavy in your truck bed.

Step 1: Taking your ratchet and torx bit, remove the two bed bolts towards the front of the bed.

pic1.JPG

Step 2:
The large washer that is on the bed bolt will not slip off by itself. An easy way to remove that washer is to grind down the threads just below it. You will not be needing those threads anyways. For this task I used a dremel with a grinding drum attached. It just needs to be ground down to the point where you can easily slip the washer off.

pic2.JPG

Step 3:
Clean off the area you just ground down and spray the area over with some spray paint to keep the rust off of the area.

Step 4: Head over to the parts you picked up from Toyota. You only need one portion of the items you picked up. All you need is the actual d-ring itself that is attached to the plate. The small washer, bolt, and plastic washer are not needed. Once you remove the small plastic washer, you can remove the bolt from the assembly.

pic4.JPG

Step 5:
Now that your bed bolts are done drying go ahead and slip the bolt through the hole in the d-ring. Now, use that large washer and put it on the bottom of the d-ring.

pic5.JPG

Step 6:
The final step is just to screw the bolt back into the bed. As far as tightening the bolt down I could not find an exact torque setting for it. Now you are done with a modification that should have come stock from the factory.

pic6.JPG

Pete

Reaction score
That was one of the first things I did to my truck. Who would design a pickup truck bed with D-rings at the back of the bed but not the front?:stupid:

project-c2

Reaction score
That was one of the first things I did to my truck. Who would design a pickup truck bed with D-rings at the back of the bed but not the front?:stupid:
That is what I said.:hmmmm2:

project-c2

Reaction score
I was just looking around cause I have heard of it done, but noone has done a write up until I found this. Thanks.:top:

spicciani2

Reaction score
I was thinking about doing this but with eyebolts... Guess I'll have to figure out the bolt thread size

spicciani2

Reaction score
Thank you that is perfect!
M11 x 1.25 (25mm long) (or if that cannot be found the 7/16's-20 may be close enough)

Top Bottom