Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Black Headlight Mod

Super Werty

Reaction score
haha, I love those pics...where have those been anyways? took you long enough to post em:laugh:

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
i've been torn on doing this or getting a set or Halo LED headlamps. and advice/opinions?

Hitman

Reaction score
Yeah man, I forgot... something in this thread reminded me, so I went and dug them up.

very funny :argh: dang it I shouldn't have replyied and this would of all been missed

i've been torn on doing this or getting a set or Halo LED headlamps. and advice/opinions?

you can spend 200+ for a set of new headlights or spend 10-15 on spray paint and your time for a great looking result that can only improve the looks of your ride. Its really really easy to do every step has been recorded and exactly how I did it you wont be dissapointed :top:

crown14

Reaction score
Dude.
I think in 5 years my virgin '08 lamps will be worth much more to me than if I cracked them and painted them. I am thinking of buying repops and painting them OR buying some other alternative... who sells the projector halo whatever lamps?

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Dude.
I think in 5 years my virgin '08 lamps will be worth much more to me than if I cracked them and painted them. I am thinking of buying repops and painting them OR buying some other alternative... who sells the projector halo whatever lamps?

you can buy blacked out headlights already done too:top: bhlm ftw

1LOW03RAM

Reaction score
well i did the same mod to a spare ram headlight i had laying around. i used a heat gun to heat the light up to get it apart. i then painted it green to match my truck. and used the heat gun to put it back together. the only reason i didnt do the ones on the truck is i found some black ones with the clear lense of 60 bucks. so i couldnt pass it up. heres a pic of the light.
101706006.jpg

rich017

Reaction score
Yeah, I know some people that have F-150's and they use heat guns instead of the oven

carolinyens

Reaction score
A helpful tip for all. I didnt do the blhm but I took my stocks out and put in some halos. I found it easier to use a phillips head screwdriver for the screw at the bumper and a 10mm wrench for the one at the bottom near the wheel.

Coupe

Reaction score
Here is my tip to get to the 4th bolt everyone complains about.

Remove the lower two (2) screws that hold the inner fender panel on. You need a 10mm socket for this.

grille005-1.jpg

Once you remove these two bolts, you can pull the inner fender back far enough to get your hand through it.

grille006-1.jpg

You can also see what you are doing.

grille009-1.jpg

This picture shows a 10mm socket on a shorty 1/4" drive ratchet.

This made the process much easier.

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Thanks for adding those pics Coupe... i have updated the write-up to include this info. :top:

genesis96

Reaction score
Just a heads-up to anyone trying this. Don't use Goof Off to clean the clear lenses. It probably sounds like common sense to most people, but I wasn't really thinking and used it on mine. It etched the plastic something horrible. They were useless after that.:thumpdown:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
What if I'm going to put HID's in anyway? Anybody?

HID's or not, your gonna need the chrome dish to reflect the light. If you black some of it out your gonna still loose some output and thus be defeating the reason for putting in HID's

nooq

Reaction score
quick question. i already have the t-rex angry eylelids on my lights. can i still do the BHLM or are my eylids going to melt with the paint on them?

Picture001-2.jpg

Vince77

Reaction score
quick question. i already have the t-rex angry eylelids on my lights. can i still do the BHLM or are my eylids going to melt with the paint on them?

Picture001-2.jpg

Good question. I was thinkin of pulling my HLs apart agian to do them in gloss instead of flat black, but have the same lids. I think I would try to pull them off, then do the BLHM. But I think all it would do is soften up the 3M adhesive that hold them on. That might make it easier to take them off. :dontknow:

Stevenredx

Reaction score
May try not baking them for as long... my guess is it probably wont hurt them. Another alternative is to use a heat gun to head up the adhesive but will be more time consuming and a PITA.

xrBRUTUS

Reaction score
Can I pay someone local to do this for me without ****ing up my ride at all?

:) I'll pay you with the green stuff... some money. dot dot :) Whatever you like.

Hitman

Reaction score
Can I pay someone local to do this for me without ****ing up my ride at all?

:) I'll pay you with the green stuff... some money. dot dot :) Whatever you like.

I wish I lived close by i would help you do it

Top Bottom