Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Cheap & Easy DTRL and Alternating Signal Mod!!!

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
Write-Up: Cheap & Easy DTRL and Alternating Signal Mod

In appreciation to my fellow X's who have helped me so much by contributing their knowledge to the How-To section, I would like to contribute my lil' mod that I have just completed. XRU Write-Ups FTW! :rock:

As always, use caution when doing electrical mods :top:

I followed the write-ups from two members here on XRU and another from tacoma world.com and combined them to make for a quick and eye-catching mod to do in about an hour :biggrin:

DTRL Mod: credit goes to brokenvendetta here on XRU

Alternating Signal Mod: credit goes to 05 X-R here on XRU and piercedtiger from tacomaworld http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/technical-chat/4838-cheap-free-mods.html

There are 2 ways to do the signal mod, I chose the non-relay method.

Enjoy:
RELAY Method:

The only wire you have to cut is the green wire going to the marker light. The other wires just get tapped into with a T-tap or you can solder and heat shrink. There will be 4 connections to the relay. #87 doesn't get used. You use 30, 87a, 85, and 86. I tapped into the wires and made the extensions about a foot long, so that I could stash the relay under the headlight housing. Zip tie and wire loom it. I wrapped the relays in Ensolite foam to dampen the clicking sound of the relay. With the hood closed I can barely hear the relays. You'll need two relays, one for left and one for the right.
blinkermodrelayjz0.jpg

Non-RELAY Method:

Parts:

• 2 pieces of wire
  • 2 butt connectors
  • 2 quick splices / T-taps
  • shrink tube, electrical tape, etc
Just cut the black/white wire on the side marker and splice it into the Red/black on left. For the right cut the black/white and splice to red/yellow.

Green wire goes to empty hole on turn signal plug, and the white/black wire from the markers go to the appropriate red/yellow or red/black wire on the turn signal (cut, not splice the white/black one).

Lights off/signal on=both 194 and 3157 blink together
lights on/signal on=alternate blinking
lights on/no signal=all four lit up as normal

Pics from my install: (for preference, I used a black 18g wire for the DTRL and red 18g for the Signal mod)

DTRL Mod First:
1) Attach a T-tap splice to the green wire from the parking light:
DRLSignalMod003.jpg

2) feed the other end of that wire into the empty 3rd slot of your signal light:
1-31-10003.jpg

1-31-10004.jpg

1-31-10005.jpg

DRLSignalMod002.jpg

3) Re-attach bulb socket and turn on your parking lights:
DRLSignalMod004.jpg

Alternating Signal Mod: (blue towels used to eliminate background and show wires)
1) now cut the black/white ground wire from your parking light:
DRLSignalMod006.jpg

2) attach your wire (I chose to use a butt connector) to the black/white wire that is coming from the bulb end. tape off the end of the naked wire if desired:
DRLSignalMod010.jpg

3) attach a T-tap splice to the red/black wire from the signal light and connect your wire to that:
DRLSignalMod008.jpg

DRLSignalMod014.jpg

4) install your bulbs back into place and check/secure/tape off all your wires. test them out:
DRLSignalMod013.jpg

few vids from my install:

(yes I know my lights hyper-flash, its from my LED signal bulbs in the rear)

EDIT: update...stock 3157's back on, lights no longer hyperflash

1) this one was right after install, you can barely see it coz it was still bright outside:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M6OhkZqGCo

2) this was done better at night, my girl took the video while I played with the lights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OqK1mC4nb0

some more vids I found on youtube but haven't been able to reach this guy:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RlwFk_eHrtI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGGyVDID_RE

Last edited:

dak-rt-2a-XR

Banned
Reaction score
thats kinda cool.

Will the 5.0 give you trouble for having flashers like that? this is what emergency crews use when they run all their lights.

NixXR462

Reaction score
Looks good. I can't decide if I want to do this or not though.

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
thats kinda cool.

Will the 5.0 give you trouble for having flashers like that? this is what emergency crews use when they run all their lights.

They shouldn't. lots of other cars have this stock. as long as your lights are amber, you should be good to go :top:

05runner

Reaction score
dude that is pretty cool how that looks. You say it flashes fast cuz of the bulbs. Other then that its cool. I might have to ask you to give me a hands on next time we gtg.:top:

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
dude that is pretty cool how that looks. You say it flashes fast cuz of the bulbs. Other then that its cool. I might have to ask you to give me a hands on next time we gtg.:top:

sure bro, no prob :biggrin:

and yeah, i have LED 3157 bulbs in the rear which causes my lights to hyper-flash. if you have regular bulbs, they will flash at normal speed.

Dallas

Reaction score
if you change to a heavy duty flasher in the lights wont flash fast like that

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
that's an awesome write up bro...:top: thanks for the great info...

05 X-R

Reaction score
Good write-up man. Im going to redo mine with the second, non-relay method because currently mine wont flash with the parking lights off.

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
I dunno, I've had them in for over a year and they haven't failed me yet. but if you look in my night shot vid, when the lights flash slower under hazards (which if u can explain, please do :hmmmm2:), the extra time allows my bulbs to be brighter. considering that, I may change back to my regular bulbs

Dallas

Reaction score
I dunno, I've had them in for over a year and they haven't failed me yet. but if you look in my night shot vid, when the lights flash slower under hazards (which if u can explain, please do :hmmmm2:), the extra time allows my bulbs to be brighter. considering that, I may change back to my regular bulbs
the 4ways use a seperate hd flasher. just plug in a hd flasher and you will be good to go. same thing happens when you wire in trailer lights, they flash fast unless u change the flasher.

Last edited:

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
DO you have a pic or Video with your HIDs on

:dontknow: ummm none, why do u ask? I just have 6000K hids from http://www.gohid.com/ that I bought when I first got the truck. If I had known about XRU before, I probably would've got mine from one of our vendors at a better price :frown:

the 4ways use a seperate hd flasher. just plug in a hd flasher and you will be good to go.

ah I see :top: thanx for the tip, I'd change the bulbs out now but its cold and rainy outside :thumpdown:

Last edited:

NixXR462

Reaction score
You having 6k makes it better I just want to see what the colors look like together. I want to do it but I'm afraid it will be too many colors with the orange lights, 6k HIDs and my nokya fogs.

Jay Swift

"The Philippine Bean"
Reaction score
You having 6k makes it better I just want to see what the colors look like together. I want to do it but I'm afraid it will be too many colors with the orange lights, 6k HIDs and my nokya fogs.

ah ok, I don't have any pics yet but I'll take some next chance I get. but from what I have seen in the reflection of other cars, they look good with my HIDs :smile: but DTRLs look best when you just have them on without the HIDs IMO :dontknow:

btw, from looking at your sig, are u planning to do this on those halo projector lights?

NixXR462

Reaction score
I dont have those halos anymore. I've some crystal clears now. (looks stock but the reflector is clear and the blinker cover is clear) I may do the DTRL see how I like it.

Top Bottom