Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Cigarette And Power Outlet Always On

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Source: tacomaterritory.com

By: remelad

Many people like to have constant power to their cigarette lighter and power outlet when the key is off. This is nice for 12V power invertors and cell phone chargers. This modification is extremely easy to do and requires about 15 minutes to an hour of your time. By doing this mod, you are doing so at your own risk. Even though there should not be any problems, I assume no responsibility for your actions.

That being said, lets get to work.

You will need:
1. 10 mm socket, ratchet & extension
2. Piece of 12 guage wire approximately 3” long
3. 2 male spade connectors.

Start by removing the driver front sill plate, foot rest & kick panel. Remove compartment on right side of steering wheel by pulling straight out. Remove 2 10mm bolts holding panel on under steering column. Unsnap upper clips of panel by gently pulling outward. Unplug necessary switches in panel.

Image1.gif

Image2.gif

Now you will see the interior fuse block on left side of column. Remove 4 10mm bolts holding fuse block in place. Now you can gently maneuver fuse block so you can see the back side. You will see 3 blue relays in a line. The relay in the left corner is the relay for the outlets. When the ignition is turned on, power from a 7.5 amp ACC fuse energizes the relay allowing the power to supply a 15 amp fused circuit to the power & cigarette outlets. By eliminating the relay and jumping the circuit, you allow a direct 15 amp fused power feed to the outlets.

Image3.gif

Image4.gif

Image5.gif

Image6.gif

Image7.gif

You now can install your jumper wire in the right 2 female connectors in the block. This allows the power to flow directly to the outlets. Verify power to cigarette lighter and power outlet without key on.

Image8.gif

Reinstall fuse block, panel, compartment, kick panel, foot rest, and sill plate.

You are done!!! Congratulations!!!!

BigBuff87

Reaction score
Great write up!!!! I completed it in about 15 min works great!

07SWB

Reaction score
for removing the panel, we obviously dont need to take out the tray, our E-brake is there so skip that step:top:

brokenvendetta

Reaction score
FYI, don't put the jumper in the wrong terminals... you'll blow the ACC fuse :laugh::laugh:

AnthonyF

Banned
Reaction score
I wish i had this mod in FL when i forgot to bring my wall charger. I had to leave my truck running for like 2 hours. Very easy mod! So glad i did it.

-Ant.

05 X-R

Reaction score
I wish i had this mod in FL when i forgot to bring my wall charger. I had to leave my truck running for like 2 hours. Very easy mod! So glad i did it.

-Ant.

Does it allow the 110V plug in the bed to work without the key on also?

rich017

Reaction score
My cigarette plug and the other plug dont even stay on when my truck is running.

After about 5 minutes the power cuts out to both plugs. I have to press the lock button on the door for the power to go back to the plugs......weird

05 X-R

Reaction score
My cigarette plug and the other plug dont even stay on when my truck is running.

After about 5 minutes the power cuts out to both plugs. I have to press the lock button on the door for the power to go back to the plugs......weird

Never had that issue (use the GPS all the time) but Id like to have a way to turn the outlet in the bed on without the key. Im going to the drive-in Tuesday night and my stereo in the truck will kill the battery so Id like to just plug a small radio up in the bed.

blastap

Reaction score
as long as there is no draw(i.e phone charger etc.) it should not drain the batt.

daveczrn

Reaction score
Yea as long as there is nothing plugged into the outlet, there is not a completed circut. without the completed circuit there should not be any power draw.

hiflyer

Reaction score
I suppose you could wire it to a seperate switch anyways...

Thanks!

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
That ciruit may power other items in the truck other then the two 12V Outlets. Just cause nothing is plugged into the 12V socket doesn't mean there is no draw elsewhere.

If this is the case, it will deplete the battery.

The circuit was designed to be a switched power source, so Toyota may have (and probably would) use it as a common lead for other circuits.

Why not just turn your key on?

I love the fact that most jap vehicles have switched ignition 12V outlets, it makes life easy (since you dont have to unplug crap or turn crap on/off EVERY time you get in/out of the vehicle).

Just something to chew on (whether it be the case or not).

hiflyer

Reaction score
cause sometimes I need to charge my phone while I work and I'm not leaving my keys in my truck ;)

dj_lucas840

Reaction score
might be easier to just add in a new outlet! run new line to battery or off some other constant power! could run a switch on it or just have it on all the time! then could put it in the center console, next to the other ones or anywhere else you might want! The outlet in the bed not sure how to do it! would be nice but think would drain battery on most things!

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but is there anybody that has done this mod and has had no problem with it? Seems like an awesome mod if its just a one time fluke.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
hmm, i say its safe to do this mod but having a safety switch would be ideal so you can control if it has a fuseable feed on it or not without having the key in. I find myself sometimes needing my charger, or flashlight, or outlet and I dont feel safe leaving the key in the ignition. :top:

shaggy08xr

Reaction score
hmm, i say its safe to do this mod but having a safety switch would be ideal so you can control if it has a fuseable feed on it or not without having the key in. I find myself sometimes needing my charger, or flashlight, or outlet and I dont feel safe leaving the key in the ignition. :top:

I'm probably going to try it, just for the simple fact of being able to charge my phone when I'm outta my truck and not at home. Thanks bro

Top Bottom