Write-Up: Coupe's Shifter Mod

Discussion in 'How-To' started by Coupe, Oct 12, 2009.

1. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

The harder the epoxy, the firmer the shifts. I will say you hardly notice the difference between 45 & 90. There is a difference, but in my opinion, not worth the noise. (Yeah, I am getting old).

The noise may happen during shifting, but will also happen while in gear, mainly during hard acceleration. This is the case for the harder epoxy.

2. revobreaker

revobreaker Moderator
    Staff Member

The one I have now I notice the noise while changing gears. I only notice noise in gear if I leave my hand on the sifter and get "heavy handed" or apply some pressure.

Id be willing to try it out

3. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

That is about the same with mine. A little noise when making the shift.

4. AFP520

AFP520 New Member

I kinda like the fact I have no bushing or epoxy to worry about. The noise isn't really all that bad and I kinda like hearing the whining while I'm gettin on it. Call me crazy :biggrin:

5. AlexForbesR6

AlexForbesR6 New Member

hey coupe! i saw this link posted up on Tacoma World (thats my home :D) and i have been debating on which direction to go for a while and finally decided to get one of yours!! i live in the houston area also so if you want you can pm how much it would cost me to give you my stocker and get one of these bad boys in a 9in length in exchange.

6. SX TOY

SX TOY Active Member

the noise increases when you get a lightened flywheel. I have a B&M and am currently doing the coupe mod to my stock shifter assembly to be used with a URD ss plate.

7. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

PM sent........

8. rice247

rice247 New Member

Hey Coupe, you still have any more you want to let go? If so how much? Shipping to 92126

9. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

This go for $120 exchanged. This includes shipping and a new tip bushing.

If you want one pm, me.

10. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

I have received a few more cores lately, including TRD cores.

If anyone has been wanting one of these, this is a good time to get one.

11. LateOnTheBrakes

What is the point of the 1/4" cap screws you install after the epoxy cures? I understand the long ones are to hold the center shaft. But if the smaller bolts don't make contact with the inner shaft what purpose do they serve?

12. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

When allowing the epoxy to cure, you want long bolts to hold everything together. After the epoxy is cured, I pull the long bolts out and epoxy small bolts in place. The small bolts so not contact the inner rod. I do not want the long bolts touching the inner rod, because it will transmit noise.

These short bolts get a bite into the epoxy and resist a twisting motion. Without them, it is possible to twist the outer shaft off of the epoxy. Let's say if you got a little rough with the shifter when installing a new shift ball. Yes it has happened.

By the way, I have some of these made up, if anyone needs one.

13. LateOnTheBrakes

I see. The shorter bolts are sheer pins to prevent rotation of the outer shaft with respect to the epoxy "bushing" and the hose clamps provide surface area to prevent rotation of the epoxy bushing to the inner shaft?

14. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

Bingo.

I have stopped doing the hose clamps. I now cut grooves that run long way on the inner rod. The epoxy fills in those grooves and gets a bite on the inner rod.

15. faulkdizzle

faulkdizzle New Member

i know this is an old thread... im gonna be doing this mod but want to keep my stok shifter heighth.... could i just pry out that bushing or will i still need to cut it off???

16. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

If you add a URD or NST SS, it raises the height 3/4". I could minimize the cut down. so it would work out the stock height.

17. aloe

aloe New Member

might have to get one of these in the 8 1/2" length!!!

18. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

Yes. I have them in 8 1/2" length.

19. kelson

kelson New Member

do you think it would be possible to pull of this mod for a 5-speed? my shifter sits WAY to high now with my new seats, and it's a little irritating. from looking at the pictures, it looks pretty similar to mine.

20. Coupe

Coupe Active Member

I would say it is possible.