Write-Up: Fog Light Mod (always on)

Discussion in 'How-To' started by K2, Jan 13, 2007.

1. hottacoX

hottacoX Moderator
    Staff Member

Lol yes that's right! When you turn the key off the lights will go out, I just like bust'n RRcanucks balls cause he's a local:top:

2. TheDirtyGoatee

Yes guys, sorry, I'm the moron who didn't check it before I wrote it.

I went to show my wife and so I went to just hit the button (without the key in the ignition) and nothing happened. I had a brief moment of panic like "Jesus, I f*cked something up really bad didn't I?"

So yes, option 2, as it says in the OP... is easy and takes 5 minutes. However, it does need to be edited. It takes, one female faston (like this one http://i00.i.aliimg.com/photo/v0/292265660/insulated_female_terminal_faston.jpg) and a quick connect splice (like this one http://waterforoil.blogspot.com/2008/05/how-to-use-quick-splice-connectors.html).

If someone in the area wants it done (so ATL area) let me know, I'll do it for you and do a follow up write up for it with more pictures. No offense but the pics shown are somewhat confusing.

Edit: The quick connect splice deals were sort of hard to find. I needed an electrical kit anyhow with a bunch of connectors so I went to Wally World and found one. However, by themselves, I couldn't find any. Even Fastenal didn't have them.

#242 TheDirtyGoatee, Oct 31, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2011
  3. KawiDank

KawiDank New Member

was looking at my new alarm system i had installed yesterday and saw a 8 inch piece of speaker wire used to hook the horn up sitting in my engine bay so i thought, hell...might as well use this and do the fog light diy...found some fasteners and went at it...used option #2 and had no difficulties reading or understanding the post. thanks for such an awesome diy with excellent instructions! cheers op!

4. TheDirtyGoatee

Agreed! Glad it worked well for you!

I was thinking I might go and remove the fuse lid, and just do a quick video of what it looks like after and sort of explain the process along the way. The pictures are awesome but whereas a picture is worth a thousand words, a video must be like a million.

5. 2012TxNinja

2012TxNinja New Member

Nice pics. Your attention to detail makes less frustration for all of us amateur do it yourselfers

6. 2012TxNinja

2012TxNinja New Member

Well I performed this mod on my 05 but this 2012 doesnt have a relay in the box, just a 15A fuse! Wtf everytime I look to change something I hit a speedbump. The relay thats supposed to be for the fog light on a 2012 is actually the air injection relay. I can only find a fuse but im still looking

7. 2012TxNinja

2012TxNinja New Member

8. FallenD1

FallenD1 New Member

I just did option 1 on a 2011 and my running lights no longer work. whats up with this

9. FallenD1

FallenD1 New Member

nevermind parking break -_-... um can anyone tell me what that green wire we are tapping into is really for?

10. redarkx

redarkx New Member

Flux capacitor... I really have no idea, but maybe someone else can chime in.

11. indyxr

indyxr New Member

Completed the MOD last week and i would say go with option #2... way easier

12. SDXR619

SDXR619 Member

My lights turn on and stay on sometimes if I leave the light switches to the ON position and turn off the car. I'll come back a few hours later and they'll be on. I know they flash on after 4 hours but does anyone elses just stay on ?

13. TheDirtyGoatee

Wait... what about them flashing on after 4 hours? Our trucks lights randomly flash at 4 hours? Since when?

14. indyxr

indyxr New Member

:hmmmm2: thats weird idk if theres a big difference between the 05's and yours but if you did option #2 for the MOD you shouldnt have that problem. mine does exactly whats its supposed to. the switch is turned on and off by the relay only when the key is in the "on" position. so idk if you did something wrong or what

15. memario1214

memario1214 New Member

Very detailed, thank you

16. Snakerb

Snakerb New Member

OK, did the mod today and I couldn't get it to work with the solid green wire so I went with the grey one instead. Works fine except turning the truck off doesn't turn the light off. Will combat this again at a later date.

17. jboy671

jboy671 Member

Just did this today, option 2, and the previous owner of my truck also did option 2. I know because when I found the green wire it had the splice mark on it already.

Works great and thanks for the write-up.

18. Xcars_onfireR

Xcars_onfireR Member

very good write-up they should come with the fog lights always on but this works too

19. sinister07

sinister07 New Member

Finally did this mod after having my truck for almost 2 years. Why did I wait so long? I did option 1 because I like the idea of having it look stock. I actually cut the green wire so I could use heat shrink and soldered the wires. You would think it was factory. Thanks for the write up, it was easy to follow. Lol a retard Could do this mod!

20. RockyTopRunner

I've always wondered why Toyota didn't just make the fog lights a stand-alone switch. Whatever there reason, oh well, I did it myself. Thanks for the write-up and pics. I love doing simple but effective mods to my truck.