Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Hood Scoop Mod

psykometal

Reaction score
My roommate went through 4 years of sheet metal school for building air ducts for HVAC. I am trying to get him to build me 1 of these. Ill keep ya's posted...
sweet. yea dude def gota post updates if you can. functional hood scoop would be sooo sick.:rock:

RedXr

Reaction score
Ya but its only gonna work on a closed box design like the TRD, AFE, volant....for more obvious reasons...i will post as soon as I get blue prints.

psykometal

Reaction score
Ya but its only gonna work on a closed box design like the TRD, AFE, volant....for more obvious reasons...i will post as soon as I get blue prints.
sounds fine to me. im planning on getting a trd cai anyway.

aznx_piggey

Reaction score
so the scoop is there just for show? no air actually flows through when your driving?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
so the scoop is there just for show? no air actually flows through when your driving?

That is correct. It can be made functional (into an intake) or used to let air into the engine bay. But really when it comes down to it both are not practical.

Vince77

Reaction score
Yeah this sucks! I had plans to do the same. It will pull air in, but doesn't force in air. :thumpdown:

mad hatter

Reaction score
I spent about 30 mins looking under the hood tonight, to try and get familiar with the heart of this wonderful machine. god, the engine bay is so much "cleaner" looking than my old Tacoma. It's so easy to get to stuff, and the oil filter is right on top!!

...anyway...

I had thought about doing the hood scoop mod. I don't have tons of cash to spend on her right now, but I want to do all I can to customize and upgrade her.

I looked around to see how big the space is that lets air into the chamber in the fender that the black air tube (don't know the technical term) conects to. I finally saw it, and it looks to be close to the size of the hood scoop, just a little bigger.

I thought about it and decided it really wasn't worth it to do the mod.

The hood scoop wasn't designed to let in air (I wish it was). You have the engine sitting right under it, so it will always be hotter than the air coming from a URD type cold air intake or the stock one. It seems like hood would have to have been designed differently to work with an intake from the scoop.

And I could see it lowering the engine bay temp, but then like someone said, it will disrupt the airflow within the bay and under the vehicle.

As cool as it would be to get it to work as a intake, I'm gonna save up and get the URD CAI.

my $.02 worth.

46&2_X

Reaction score
The hood scoop wasn't designed to let in air (I wish it was). You have the engine sitting right under it, so it will always be hotter than the air coming from a URD type cold air intake or the stock one. It seems like hood would have to have been designed differently to work with an intake from the scoop.

I don't see how the air coming in through the hood would be any hotter than the air coming from right next to the radiator.

At speed the air coming in would be coming it so fast it wouldn't have much time to heat up. The heat exchange rate just wouldn't be very good. If you added reflective tape to the outside of the intake tube, it would reflect even more of the heat.

Now at idle, it wouldn't heat up any more than the URD intake. Due to the fact that when not moving the intake is sucking in air from all around it. That means air that has been heated up by the radiator. It can even pull air through the radiator, and into it.

It will be pulling air from away from the radiator also. But think how hot that water is.

So either one while driving would add more cold air than stock.

At a stop both would be pulling slightly hotter air.

But who races their car stopped? :biggrin:

mad hatter

Reaction score
yeah, i didn't think about the proximity to the radiator during engine idle. good point. I'm just excited to be talking cars, this is my first performance vehicle, the first one i'm actually going to put some work into.

46&2_X

Reaction score
yeah, i didn't think about the proximity to the radiator during engine idle. good point. I'm just excited to be talking cars, this is my first performance vehicle, the first one i'm actually going to put some work into.

That's awesome.

Remember no matter what you do, there will be someone out there that thinks your wrong or they can do it better :laugh:.

Just do your research and do what you want too.

If you do anything new that nobody has done before, you might make a mistake. But you can chalk it up to that and not do it again.

But then again, if you do what nobody else has done you might find something better.

Tried and True works.

But it's the innovators that stand out in the crowd.

BoominTaco

Reaction score
I just did this mod today and it looks good, i left the grill and removed the plastic piece, three zip ties holds the grill in place..

Takowan

Reaction score
IMHO -
If you want cool air flow through the facade scoop, you'll need to open up the scoop and remove the rubber hood gasket at the rear of the engine bay on top of the firewall.
This will allow cool air to come in through the scoop and push the warmer air out the back of the hood.

Other than that if the scoop is not hooked up to your intake in anyway it will really still be non functional opened or closed.

Sorry I know this is late, but I'm a newbie to this forum as I just purchased a Tako...Taco.

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
did anyone ever figure out a way to do this where it actually makes a difference? it would be nice to have a filter up thereso everything from the scoop to the intake mani is sealed. even though it wont produce a whole lot of extra power it would be better than any other design out there for x runner intakes. ill work on it when i get home from afghanistan. this makes me so happy!

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
yeah i saw that one but i was thinking something more like the ram air setups available for some corvettes.... a straighter design that sits below the hood and scoop, sealed with rubber or foam. a bracket of some sort would need to be fabbed up that braces the intake piping to maybe the bolt holding the engine cover on.... like i said im overseas right now but when i get home in a couple months ill look at it... or maybe someone should just come out with an aftermarket hood with cowl induction i.e cut the scoop out and flip it around :dontknow:

Roland's Runner

Reaction score
I do not know if this will help any but, Volant does make a functional ram air intake for the Runner. I plan on doing this mod next.

rich017

Reaction score
I do not know if this will help any but, Volant does make a functional ram air intake for the Runner. I plan on doing this mod next.

The volant intake actually hurts performance, unless you get it tuned with a URD MAF cal

wisenthefools

"Ricky Bobby"
Reaction score
The bottom line here people....having a phony, non functioning scoop, is lame as all hell. Let us leave such things to those who purchase all their aftermarket gear at pep boys and apply them with double sided tape onto their hyundai accents and 2nd generation Nissan Maxima's. We drive x-runners my friends... and for that, we must hold ourselves to a certain level of integrity. Open up thy scoop, allow thy engine to breathe and cool down on those hot summer days.

brotharon

Reaction score
The bottom line here people....having a phony, non functioning scoop, is lame as all hell. Let us leave such things to those who purchase all their aftermarket gear at pep boys and apply them with double sided tape onto their hyundai accents and 2nd generation Nissan Maxima's. We drive x-runners my friends... and for that, we must hold ourselves to a certain level of integrity. Open up thy scoop, allow thy engine to breathe and cool down on those hot summer days.

I would assume that if God intended the X-Runner hood scoop to be open, he would have had the good people at the Toyota factory make it that way... :hmmmm2:

ntinhri

Reaction score
I would assume that if God intended the X-Runner hood scoop to be open, he would have had the good people at the Toyota factory make it that way... :hmmmm2:
* people at toyota aren't that smart...... (example- no s/c, big brake kit, short shifter, headers, intake, etc offered on xrunner from factory.
* god cant control heat (hints global warming, just as we have less warming under our hood with it open..)

Personally I like my hood scoop open, even when its hanging on the wall in my garage! (Yea cause smart people at toyota didnt have a carbon fiber hood offered when I bought the truck so now I have a extra hood!

easy rookie tread lightly, and buy a x runner...

Top Bottom