Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: In Roof Amp Rack and Custom Suede Headliner

R1 Chris

Reaction score
Start by removing headliner. Once headliner is removed measure out the space for your amplifiers. Then you need to weld up a steel amp rack for the amps to mount to. Depending on the size of the amp, you will want to use thicker steel. I used one inch by 1/2 inch square stock. Keep in mind the amp needs to be bolted through 4 structure points. After you have welded your amp rack, mount the amps to it.

truckpix002.jpg

After amps have been test fitted and mounted, pull the rack back out, prime and paint. You will then need to start to pre wire the truck. Now while you have the headliner out it would be a good idea to Dynamat the interior roof.

truckpix032.jpg

Next step is to reinstall the headliner and trace out the location of the amps and cut headliner to expose the amplifiers.

truckpix037.jpg

Once your done with that, you will want to fabricate a wood frame to flush in the amp. Dont forget to tape up your amplifier to protect it from any damage that may occur during install. At this point in the install the framing will need to be attached to the factory headliner.

truckpix051.jpg

You will now need to use fiberglass resin and apply it to the factory headliner while it is still in its place in the truck to maintain its shape while it dries. Please note that in the following picture it was removed after it had completely dried.

truckpix053.jpg

For the next step you will need to pick up fleece material. This material should be used to wrap the entire headliner. Color of the fleece does not matter and will be covered later. Fleece will usually run about $10-15 a yard. You will also need to staple along the wooden frame to contour the shape of the headliner. Apply heavy amounts of fiberglass resin to the fleece, making sure it soaks completely through the material.

truckpix056.jpg

Be sure to allow ample time for drying. Then you will need to grind down fiberglass high spots and apply body filler (bondo). This step will take several layers of bondo to shape and fill in any problem spots.

truckpix057.jpg

Next put the headliner back in to ensure a proper fit.

truckpix063.jpg

After you have achieved the look you are going for and there are not any high or low spots in your piece, you can remove it from the truck and wrap it with your choice of material. For my truck I choose a color matched suede. When using suede be sure to glue both material and origional, modified headliner to ensure a long lasting bond. Nobody likes a droopy headliner.

truckpix066.jpg

Good luck with yours and I hope this helps! :rock:

Shanes56

Reaction score
very nice good touch with the fleece you must have done that before, Good Job

RossK35

Reaction score
Isn't it going to get really hot being on the roof with the sun on it, and also with no air circulation?

disciple X

Reaction score
i was thinking the same thing... that's really nice work, but is that really a good place for an amp?

by the way... you have MAD skills!!!

Last edited:

Vashx51

Reaction score
That looks real good so since I'm not that good maybe you could do mine jk. I don't really want to cut up my truck, but that does look like it's stock. Nice job.

firetuner911

Reaction score
bastard that was my idea,:motz:but you beat me to it so i guess ill just have to do it better :rock: but you did a damn good job, i was gonna use fans for air circulation thou.

x-stealth

Reaction score
I wanted to do this too. But I was going to mount them off a roll cage and run the wires down the inside of the pipes. This way the amps would still have air flow around them too. Looks killer!!! :rockon:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
that looks so BA bro. I can't wait to see the finished product...:top:

bastard that was my idea,:motz:but you beat me to it so i guess ill just have to do it better :rock: but you did a damn good job, i was gonna use fans for air circulation thou.

I wanted to do this too. But I was going to mount them off a roll cage and run the wires down the inside of the pipes. This way the amps would still have air flow around them too. Looks killer!!! :rockon:

both you guys 2 were going to do this...I was thinking up this very same setup the other weekend...

Like you newman I plan on installing custom 4 point roll cage and use fan like firetuner to help with keeping the amps cool...

BSP06XRU

Old Member
Reaction score
Looks nice Chris... you've been busy!:top:
I hope you didn't get any welding hot spots on the paint on the top of your X...

x-stealth

Reaction score
Well the way I was going to set them up it wouldnt need a fan. I was going to weld in an extra horizontal crossbar. So I would just attach them to the rear and cross bar. So the amps would be free standing. Not flush with the roof.

R1 Chris

Reaction score
Well the way I was going to set them up it wouldnt need a fan. I was going to weld in an extra horizontal crossbar. So I would just attach them to the rear and cross bar. So the amps would be free standing. Not flush with the roof.

ok i should of said something about that. the amps are spaced from the roof and bolted to the crossbar so I can pull them out if i need to. all you would need is the stock headliner to put it back to stock. BTW the zapco dc 1000.4 amps have fans in them. also on the back of the headliner i made a vent for air flow. Thanks guys. more to come the doors are next and i will do a write up for that too.

Chris :top:

if you need any help just hit me up :biggrin:

Last edited:

holddeez08RR

Reaction score
I was waiting for this thread. I can't see the pics but from what I remember last meet, that ish was BA

Top Bottom