Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: LED bed lighting

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
would like to tap a wire in the back if at all possible...anyone know one that i can?

here are some almost finished version of mine...the are STUPID bright. very useful.

Attachments

• led bed lights.jpg
    led bed lights.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 100
  • led bed lights 2.jpg
    led bed lights 2.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 111

Workman3886

Reaction score
would like to tap a wire in the back if at all possible...anyone know one that i can?

here are some almost finished version of mine...the are STUPID bright. very useful.

Can you tap them into your running lights, you should only need them when it's dark outside, when your running light are on! Unless you're looking for a constant source

CBRBob

Reaction score
If you are running a trailer, you should probably have a 12v constant wire back there already. If not, just run a fused wire off the batt or fuse panel. If you plan on running an air assist kit, you will need that anyway, so its just good to have.

The setup looks good, how about pics of the corners when its light out.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
im not running a trailer, ill have to look to see if there ever was one on that truck. i really dont want to run a wire from front to back just for the lights, there has got to be a constant 12v back there.

ill have to see if i can get any good ones so you can see how the lights bend around the corners. my bed cover brackets pretty much hide it completly. these lights are supper flexible its pretty cool really.

just got back from the junk yard and grabbed a few different types of pin switches. i have another idea to be able to disconnect them without a manual switch. pics to come

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
still going to get those pics for you i havent forgot.

having a slight problem maybe one of you wiring genius can help me. is it possible that a pin switch cant handle a straight connection to the battery? when i hooked it up it freaked out and sparked real bad and had i not been paying attention would have caught fire. thinking maybe i need a relay after all..

however if i hook my battery charger to it instead of the direct connection to the battery everything works as it should. switch functions perfectly.

im using a two wire door jamb switch out of a chevy if it matters.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Pin switches ground through the mounting nut, so you probably shorted straight to ground. the 12v should go through the LEDs, the ground of the LED should connect to the pin switch terminal.

Using your battery charger you are creating a completely different circuit in relation to ground and power.

EDIT:

Im not 100% sure how that switch you have is working, sorry. But it *should* be able to handle the current load for LEDs

Last edited:

jboy671

Reaction score
Nice touch. I may do something like this when I get my cover (hopefully next week) but only come on automatically when the cover is raised.

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
Hey Pillsbury,

1. Did you get you pin switch figured out?

2. What exact LEDs did you use and how much did they cost? (link please:smile:)

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
havent had time to mess with it honestly, maybe next weekend

just go to ebay and type in white led strip and you will get tons of options, they range 16 to 30 bucks. they come on a roll that is 16.4 ft long

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
I got mine from ebay too, but yours look brighter, maybe its because you have more LEDs though...

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
yours arent one long strip like mine...there are actually 600 leds ;) lol

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
You must be using the 3528 strips then. That is what Im using, just with so many less LED's.

They also have the 5050 strips. one 5050 is supposed to be approx. 3x brighter then one 3528 LED. so a standard 5050 with 300 LEDs should be about 50% brighter then yours ... imagine that:stupido2:

That would be a nice comparison to see the two different strips side by side.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
You must be using the 3528 strips then. That is what Im using, just with so many less LED's.

They also have the 5050 strips. one 5050 is supposed to be approx. 3x brighter then one 3528 LED. so a standard 5050 with 300 LEDs should be about 50% brighter then yours ... imagine that:stupido2:

That would be a nice comparison to see the two different strips side by side.

yes those are what i am using and i have the optional power source as well thats how i plugged them in to the bed. ill tell you one thing the pics dont do them justice the are stupid bright. i cant imagine being 50% brighter you would be able to see them from space lol

i was going to get the 300 led strip but decided go big or go home :rockon:

revobreaker

Staff member
Reaction score
comparison pics!!

2012-04-30164133.jpg

2012-04-30164154.jpg

2012-04-30164207.jpg

2012-04-30164249.jpg

Needless to say I am now inspired to upgrade my LEDs, and do some under the hood! (why didnt toyo put a freaking light under the hood?!?)

Pilsbury, wheres those pics on your mounting and wrapping around the corners? Im gonna do one strip this time too.

Pillsbry10

Reaction score
hey man...to be honest with the way it bends around the corner i couldnt get any good shots of it. with my bedcover and the track system it hides in there really well. once you start to do it youll have no problems.

Top Bottom