Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Longtube Header Install

SpcWashington

Reaction score
So what kind of power gains are you guys getting from the lt's? How does it feal afterwards? Thinking this header or a maf cal for next mod...

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I have long tubes and dyno'd 414.9hp... I have a couple other mods, but I think the majority of the gains are for the long tubes themselves. :top:

No, but it really depends on your other mods. If you are NA you won't see the gains that the FI guys are seeing. You may feel some loss in the lowend, and the power will shift to the top end more.

Murderface

Reaction score
is it bad to use lock-tite on the header bolts?

It's just pointless to do it! Threadlock turns into a plastic like substance and that's how it locks the threads together. By using it on header bolts, it will just melt away after it gets hot enough.

I agree with everyone on the passenger side being a PITA!! I got mine in without unbolting the engine mount or without jacking the motor but it still sucked! I'll be taking mine off in September to have them coated with a custom ceramic paint since the protective coating is F'n up and I need to reseal them. Those at XFE will see the finished product:top:

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
got my longtubes installed last friday, drove all weekend with em and love em! Big thanks to Christdenied who pm'ed me through some questions I had. By far the best mod on the truck, she no longer purrs but growls!!!

Jwall

Reaction score
nice job buddy! I bet she sounds great.

Just wait till you get that maf cal all figured out! :top:

Fisherman

Reaction score
just put my headers on sunday. thanks for the help from sictransitglory. feels awsome now :rock:

Jwall

Reaction score
Very nice write up brother! thanks greatly appreciated :top:

I just got the stock headers and y-pipe off, ready to instal DTLTHs and urd y-pipe.

Last edited:

bcroach78

Reaction score
Nice write up. Short, to the point and understandable. This should help me get mine installed when I get home!!

2012TxNinja

Reaction score
Had to sell my long tubes off my 05 because they dont fit on the new 2012. I wasnt very happy about that

off-road taco06

Reaction score
Quick question regarding putting on / taking off long tube headers... Do the headers drop out the bottom or can they only come out / go in from the top?

Coupe

Reaction score
Quick question regarding putting on / taking off long tube headers... Do the headers drop out the bottom or can they only come out / go in from the top?

I think it is easier from the bottom.

It is also easier to get to the header bolts, if you removed the inner fender flaps.

off-road taco06

Reaction score
I think it is easier from the bottom.

It is also easier to get to the header bolts, if you removed the inner fender flaps.

Thanks coupe. My buddy and I are going to install my APR ypipe and Vbands on the headers and sensor relocation kit finally :).

On the drivers side it looks like the steering linkage or starter would get in the way trying to drop the header from the bottom? Does it need to be disconnected ? Anything else I should know about going into this ?

Thanks again guys !

outlaw7

Reaction score
Thanks coupe. My buddy and I are going to install my APR ypipe and Vbands on the headers and sensor relocation kit finally :).

On the drivers side it looks like the steering linkage or starter would get in the way trying to drop the header from the bottom? Does it need to be disconnected ? Anything else I should know about going into this ?

Thanks again guys !
i got my long tubes in on the drivers side without disconnecting the steering linkage. If you are going to be putting any kind of sensor in the collector, wait untill after you get the header on. I tried to intsall it with my wideband in place and could not get it to go in. Took it off and went in pretty easy. Its easier if you have one person to try and maneuver it in and one person to push it from the back.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score

Thanks again guys !

I am installed and removed mine from the bottom several times(emissons testing) without issue. Did NOT undue anything other than the Y and headers and had no issues:top:

Top Bottom