Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Loose Shifter Fix

Stevenredx

Reaction score
This will fix the excessive play thats in the shifter arm from the worn out rubber bushing. You will need to get some rubber gasket maker called "right stuff" you should be able to find at any local auto parts store.

theRightStuff.jpg

First thing you will need to do is remove the center console and shifter arm, you can use this write-up on how to remove the center console http://www.xr-underground.com/vb3/showthread.php?t=1139 Then you will need to remove the two 10mm bolts that hold down the rubber boot. Once removed grab the metal mounting plate from the front and pull up pull out the two clips still holding it. Now you need to remove the shifter from the transmission by removing the four bolts in each corner of the mount. You may have to use a piece of wood or something to break the gasket seal between it and the transmission, and then pull it out.

Picture002Medium.jpg

With everything removed you can begin to drill 4 holes in the shifter arm aprox. 3/4" to 1" up from the joint, I used a 5/32 metal drill bit. The shifter arm isn't very thick and its hollow inside so just drill till it pops through the inside.

Picture004Medium.jpg

With all 4 hours drilled you can start injecting the "right stuff" in each hole till it comes out the other holes. Do this to each hole to make sure you have the shifter packed full.

Picture008Medium.jpg

Picture010Medium.jpg

I let everything dry overnight and then cleaned off the shifter arm with a razor blade to remove the excess "right stuff" and then the old gasket off the shifter mount plate and transmission and reapplied a fresh bead of RTV before putting everything back together.

P.S. Thanks to Gadget for helping me with some questions i had about this.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
EXCELLENT write-up and thanks for taking the photos bro! I'm doing it this weekend. :top:

Gadget

Reaction score
Well done.

You don't have to unbolt the shifter tower to take out the lever.

Just peal back that rubber boot.

You will see the spring retaining clip.

Use both thumbs, push it down and rotate it, I think counter clockwise.

I will unhook from the retension pins and pop out.

You can not pull the lever out of the tower. The URD extension will drag on the bushing in the tower but it will pull through it. and out it comes.

It take about 1 second to take it out...

Gadget

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Wish i would have known that before i took it out :laugh:

Thanks for your help Gadget :top:

Matt's06

Reaction score
I need to do this mod. What is "The right stuff"? Is it some kind of gasket maker? I am going to try to find something close to it here in Germany.

Bobby B

Reaction score
How would I know if I needs to do this? My shifter seems fine, of course it's only got like 3k miles on it.
Also if I want to shorten the length of the shifter where would be the best place to cut it at??
Thanks
:biggrin:

akakrill

Reaction score
Will this mod work after the problem exsits? Or is it a vaccine, not a cure?

akakrill

Reaction score
I just did it...Drying time? I need my truck tommorrow morning, I did it gadgets way so no reseal on the spacer block. Im just waiting for the right suff to dry...Id like to get it installed tonight before I have to at 5:00am...someone give me some good news...No drytime indicated on the bottle.

PS...This right stuff holds up?

Gadget

Reaction score
Just let it sit overnight and you will be fine.

Gadget

akakrill

Reaction score
When reinstalling, will the ball fit right back in to the socket or does it need some fiddling and persuasion?

absolut

Reaction score
lose shifter?? u mean when it wobles around when u are driving??
Thats wat i need to fix, i hate that when u drive the shifter just bounce around..

Jonathan

Reaction score
When reinstalling, will the ball fit right back in to the socket or does it need some fiddling and persuasion?

no, it will go right in. its a fairly loose connection between the two.

shook

Reaction score
Just finished this fix, my shifter went really bad lastnight while driving to meet up with friends. I was able to wiggle it around in gear as if it was in neutral, I was worried it wouldnt go into gear but I guess it held up. After taking the shifter apart I found that my URD SS was really loose too, the tappered spacers were moving freely and the balljoint extention was able to turn and wiggle a little, I think this in combination with the worn out rubber bushing in the shifter arm was what made the shifter really loose. I would recommend checking your SS if you have one, I just tightend mine back up and notched the allen set screw holes even more, seems ok but the tappered spacers are still loose, I dont think they can fall out as long as the balljoint stays mounted but are the spacers suppose to be loose like that ? and for those that have done this loose shifter fix with the gasket maker, how is it holding up ? and how long has it been ? Thanks in advance :top:

Matt's06

Reaction score
I just did this using a 2 part metal epoxy. WOW :rock: The shifts are SO much crisper. It is rock solid. The only thing is that you can feel vibrations in the shifter, but it's all good. If your one of those who like to ride with your hand resting on the shifter than it may make your hand a little tingly.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
so does this make your shifter not wobble at all cause mine wobbles when it is in gear and I am driving down the road really bugs me

Top Bottom