Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Map Lights On When Doors Open

sinister07

Reaction score
Why the need for all that extra light? I perfer my dome light off.

Scarface

Reaction score
I would usually agree with you sinister, but this aging thing is getting to my eyeballs... So night time rolls around I tend to be screwed now.

FireB

Reaction score
Thanks I will be doing this tomorrow again and need some help!!!

Put a male spade connector on the end and cover with heat shrink. Make sure the band on the diode faces away from the map lights. Diodes only work in one direction. The diode is what keeps your dome light from turning On when you just want the map light On.
domelight010vt8.jpg

When you did this, the Diode Silver Stripe facing the Dome Light?
In another word, the sliver band was facing the Spade of your picture.
I just wanted to be clear about this because I wanna make sure the current flow is going the right direction and don't have to do it over if it's not the right side!

Here's the connection at the dome light.
domelight14il3.jpg

Would it matter which side of the dome light terminal it gets connected to?

Sorry for bringing up the old thread but I am not to knowledgeable with things like this.....

FireB

Reaction score
Well, I finally finished the Modification and it went well.
Just have to make sure that the Diode is faced the right direction and you are all set!
Make sure to know the plastic Piece direction so that you are soldering on the right side.

Thank you for posting this!

Here is the end result.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M-j6YK0pQ4

caribe_makaira

Reaction score
No need for diode.
Get a repair wire, crimp & solder it to proper lenght additional wire, insert into plug.
Ring connector to bolt n screw in hole of switch at dome light so it behaves in unisone and also independant of the dome light. Cover/insulate (tape/liquid tape, etc) bolt so no contact with metal roof.

Last edited:
Top Bottom