Write-Up: NEW Gauge LED Change

Discussion in 'How-To' started by stretch200, Mar 3, 2007.

1. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

Alright, so I finally did the gauge light change and took lots of pictures.

First thing, my truck is really dirty. I apologize for that. It's been raining and I work outside in the mud. Its horrible.

Also, I did a very sloppy job on editing the pictures. Just don't worry about it, k? good. :biggrin:

Alright, so first things first. Here is a list of the tools you'll need
    flathead screwdriver
    Phillips head screwdriver
    10mm ratchet (if possible use a ratchet screwdriver. it's easier)
    soldering gun (I didn't write-up the soldering. I figured if you haven't soldered, you wouldn't do this mod)

I got the LEDs for this from www.lc-led.com The ones I got where these:
    http://www.lc-led.com/View/itemNumber/98

Remove the plastic piece shown in the picture.
    [​IMG]

then the foot rest. It just pops off.
    [​IMG]

unscrew by hand the knob underneath.
    [​IMG]

then remove the kicker. I've marked where you pull it from.
    [​IMG]

remove this plastic piece.
    [​IMG]

then unscrew these two bolts with a 10mm ratchet. Then pull the lower dashboard straight out, and it pops off.
    [​IMG]

be sure not to lose these clips. They are pink.
    [​IMG]

you don't have to fully remove the lower dashboard. I left mine here. (its a biatch to fully remove it)
    [​IMG]

For this step, I lowered the steering wheel as much as I could. It gets in the way of the screwdriver. Remove these two screws. They are make out of plastic so be gentle. there is a clip under the screws that needs to come out also. The best way to do this, is to unscrew the screw almost all the way. and then just pull it out. The clip should come with it.
    [​IMG]

Now pull this piece straight out. It's attached by yellow clips. be sure not to lose those either. They fall out a little easy.
    [​IMG]

There's not much room but you have to remove these three plugs. Then just wiggle it out towards the driver side and it'll come out. It's awkwardly in there but just work it and you'll be fine. oh man, how dirty did that sound?
    [​IMG]

Next, remove these four screws. They are phillips head but also 10mm. It's easier to use a 10mm ratchet.
    [​IMG]

Now, unplug the two connectors on the top. Then pull it out.
    [​IMG]

2. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

Alright! Now that you have the just the guages, you'll need to remove the front clear piece and black piece. The easiest way to do this is to remove them at the same time. Unhook the clear clips from the back, then the black clips. And work your way around, until it is unhook and can come off.
    [​IMG]

next, I put tape underneath the needles to mark where they are. don't mark them yet.
    [​IMG]

now you can move the needles up and down.
    [​IMG]

But it only goes down to a certain point. That's where you want to mark them on the tape.
    [​IMG]

now that you have them marked, you are going to remove the needles. You MUST be careful when doing this. Here is a picture of what I did to get it off.
    The arrow represents the movement of the screwdriver, underneath the needle.
    [​IMG]

you want to get right next to pillar under the needle as shown in the above picture. Hold the needle to keep it from bending or breaking to one side. You want to keep the screwdriver from putting too much pressure on one side of the needle. remember, BE VERY CAREFUL. And don't force it. Mild preassure should get it off.

Alright, next remove the black plastic cover piece with the tape on it.
    [​IMG]

Now, you are going to have to remove the LCD screen. It simple as long as you are careful. get a screwdriver under the top edge of the LCD screen and pry it up carefully.
    [​IMG]

Next pull the LCD screen out. It will come off just don't yank it.
    Then use a tiny screwdriver to remove the plastic piece under where the LCD screen was. I didn't remove the LCD screen yet but its way easier.
    [​IMG]

There are three LEDs under there. Next remove the three screws on the back and unclip the two clips to remove the back piece.
    [​IMG]

Then unclip the four clips to remove the circuit board from the front plastic piece. (NOTE: You MUST remove the LCD screen to get the circuit board off.)
    [​IMG]

Now you should have just the circuit board. I marked all the LEDs that you will need to change for the back light in red and purple. The purple is the odometer and the red is the back light for the gauges. This doesn't change the needle color or any other lights, like the check engine light.
    [​IMG]

So solder away! After you are done put everything back and poof!!! You have a better dashboard. One more thing. before you solder, look at the LEDs closely. you will notice that one corner has a notch in it. Make sure that you put the new LEDs in with notch in the same corner. THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT! If you don't do this the LEDs won't work.

[​IMG]

#2 stretch200, Mar 3, 2007
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  3. X-Rizzo

X-Rizzo New Member

The blue looks sick but man that's a lot of work!

4. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

it's less work than the black headlight mod!! Well, not quite. But it takes less time. :biggrin:

5. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

Excellent write-up, thank you for taking the time to do this and submit it to the site! Just one question... what are you doing in your truck? Man, I thought my mats were dirty. :biggrin:

6. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

hahaha! I know. I run a landscaping company, so I'm always walking at new jobs sites in the mud. Since its the rainy season in Oregon, there's not much I can do.

7. CBRBob

CBRBob Active Member

So do your LEDs dim like the stockers?

8. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

yes. The ones I bought were the same exact kind as the ones already in there. That's why I put the link in the mod.

9. nxrunner

nxrunner New Member

LOOKS AWESOME. NICE MOD BUT DEFINETLY A LOT OF WORK. I DONT WANT TO REMOVE THE BOTTOM HALF OF MY DASH BECAUSE SEVERAL PEOPLE ARE HAVING TROUBLE WITH IT STAYING UP (SOMETHING ABOUT A LOOSE CLIP).

GREAT WRITE UP.

* SUGESTION * INVEST IN SOME WEATHERTECH MATS. YOUR X IS FAR TOO NICE TO BE MESSING UP WITH ALL THAT MUD. :top:

--SORRY FOR ALL CAPS. I DIDNT REALIZE IT UNTIL I WAS ALMOST FINISHED TYPING.---

10. XRobber

XRobber New Member

I ordered the super white ones last night...
    I cant wait till they get here.

11. xtoplinex

xtoplinex New Member

That looks awesome as hell! :top:

12. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

yea I know. I definitely need better mats. I want the weathertech ones but I'm short on cash. that's why I haven't don't anything but "free" or cheap mods. I have way too many bills. :motz:

13. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

Hmmmm - someone is getting ready for X-Fest with all these new mods. :biggrin: Can't wait to see your truck Rob.

14. Mezmerized

Mezmerized New Member

Well being a new member and all I was wonder if anyone has found any other sources for these LED's.. Ive checked with multiple local electronics shops and none carry the Footprint style LED's. So just assuming that I have to order it...

Any Ideas?

15. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

there are a couple others you can get it from. Give me a few minutes, I'll try to find some.

16. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

17. Stevenredx

Stevenredx New Member

very nice write up... now i may have to attempt this aswell

18. CBRBob

CBRBob Active Member

Since LEDs are polarized, how do you know which way they go in? Can you check it without totally reassembling?

19. stretch200

stretch200 New Member

yes. on the LEDs one corner has an angle on it. Just make sure you put the new one in with the angle in the same corner. I should probably add that to the write-up. duh.:biggrin:

20. rx-runner

rx-runner New Member

how did you take off the stockers?