Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Solid Shifter From Stock Shifter.

Vince77

Reaction score
I got an extra shifter this weekend, (thanks Lenie) and wanted to try and make a solid B&M style shifter. It's a diferent way of doing it so I thought I'd make a write up for it.
Once installed, there was a little trans noise coming through but not that bad at all. If I had the radio on, I wouldn't even hear it. As far as vabration, there was very little.
Because of how much shorter the shifter is,(comparison pic below) you will lose leverage, so shifting takes a little more effort, as well as going into reverse. But the throw is much shorter.

So here's how it goes...

First you gotta get the inner and outer shafts apart. I used a vise to hold down the base and twisted the outer shaft off. This one came off pretty easy.
IMG_0013.jpg

Then I cut off the top 4 or so inches of the outer shaft, and took off all the plastic and rubber off the inner shaft.
IMG_0015.jpg

Next step, test fit the two together. I grinded an angle at the top of the inner shaft so the top piece fit nice and centered.
IMG_0016.jpg

Then I welded the two together. No pic of it right after I welded cuz my welding sucks really bad. So here's a pic after a little clean up... some grinding and wire wheel.
IMG_0017.jpg

Then some paint. I had some black caliper paint on hand so I just used it.
I put some tape on the threads and just put a rag over the base.
IMG_0021.jpg

Here is the difference from stock.
IMG_0026.jpg

You can see just how short it is... Damn!
IMG_0027.jpg

IMG_0028.jpg

IMG_0029.jpg

**UPDATE**
Well after a couple days I realized it was a little to short for my liking. So I extended the shaft about 2". I just cut the shaft and used some steel piping and grinded down each end to fit inside the pipe a little. Then welded it all together, ground down, wire wheeled, and then painted... again. I have not reinstalled it as of yet, I'm happy with my permatex fill shifter for now. But even when it was short, it had a good solid feel. And now a little longer, it should feel even better.

It's not nearly as pretty as the B&M, but didn't cost me anything either. :biggrin:
IMG_0039.jpg

IMG_0063.jpg

IMG_0064.jpg

Last edited:

VaBchXRunner

"The Bargain Baron"
Reaction score
might have some bad vibrations from that, looks nice though.
let us know:top:

XrunnIT

Reaction score
very nice! Curious to hear how it responds. :top:

Vince77

Reaction score
to get rid of the slop from the stock shifter. Instead of 2 pieces held together by rubber, you have 1 solid piece

Thanks, yep thats it.

I'll update after install. :top:

DERRIXRYD

Reaction score
So this will work in conjunction (wow!) with the s/s? :top:

Vince77

Reaction score
So this will work in conjunction (wow!) with the s/s? :top:

Yep the URD will. And the TRD is the same set up as stock. So you could do the same thing with it. But I doubt anyone starts tearing apart their TRD shifter.

daveczrn

Reaction score
Yes being he just made it a solid shifter it will still work with the URD short shifter. And it will have the great shortness that we all love. and it will have a nice tight feel as well. Hell it might even be shorter depending on how short he cut the shifter down. If it's shorter than stock it will have a shorter throw.

GOOD JOB!!!!

Reaction score
cant wait for the responsivness report if it turns out to be good I think ill do the same to mine.

wshsbears

Reaction score
looks good! theres a few others that have done this. i believe dogstoy did this to his except he just wripped the top off and welded a large screw on the top of the bottom end that would thread into his shift knob. i've heard his is really short too

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I did this ahile back i love it I made a write up for mine to but i have almost no tranny noise only if you put a little pressure on mine you can hear the tranny a little and mine is a little longer than yours but about 1-2 inches shorter than stock it makes a huge difference for sure good job

Vince77

Reaction score
I did this ahile back i love it I made a write up for mine to but i have almost no tranny noise only if you put a little pressure on mine you can hear the tranny a little and mine is a little longer than yours but about 1-2 inches shorter than stock it makes a huge difference for sure good job
Thanks.
Yeah I got very little noise, I had to listen for it. And another inch or so longer and it would be perfect. Hardly any vibration tho. :top:

lenie03

Reaction score
dang kev that is short but I'm glad your idea worked out for you.

PLCX

Reaction score
i did the same thing about a 3 weeks ago. i used the urd ss as well. i cant say i dont have any noise but the throw is so short. feels good with the shift that low, but i think im gonna try it without the urd ss and see if the noise goes away

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
Looks dope man, it must be a little harder to get it in reverse......

Top Bottom