Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Steering Wheel Emblem Mod

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Well, my steering wheel is complete finally. I know that a XRU member was inquiring about this.

It all started when I did my Lexus modification. I removed the stock emblem and replaced it with a cut piece of blanket (dale jr). Well, when I got back from Iraq, I took all the Lexus stuff off. That left me with this steering wheel issue.

I first started by painting the area where the emblem was with some red duplicolor paint. I didn't like how it came out. I then painted it black and didn't like that either. It stood out too much and was taking away from what I was trying to do (subdue the emblem). So I went with this route instead. Here's how I completed it.

1. Start by removing the stock steering wheel emblem. It comes up pretty easy.

2. Use a cleaner (like Goo Gone Extreme) to clean any sticky residue left from the stock emblem

3. Use a vinyl filler to fill the holes and the indention from the stock emblem so the area is flat.

4. Purchase your fabric of choice. I used a black somewhat silk material. The red is actually a pre-sewed red boarder. I found it to be much easier to deal with.

5. Purchase some craft glue (that dries clear)

6. Clean the area

7. Pre-cut your material to fit inside the area where the emblem was

8. Apply the craft glue to the area and place the material after that. I would say that it is best to let it dry for several hours before attempting to apply the boarder.

9. Once the material is set (glue is dried) apply the boarder.

10. Let it all dry and then you can clean up the excess glue.

11. Armorall the steering wheel and ur good to go.

I still haven't done the final clean up as you can see in the pictures.

I am pretty happy with it. It is good for those that are going for the debadged, clean look. Now, there are no emblems on the X.

The wifey said I should call it the Martha Stewart Mod... :laugh:

Here are some pics:

Attachments

• DSCF4473.JPG
    DSCF4473.JPG
    57 KB · Views: 230
  • DSCF4474.JPG
    DSCF4474.JPG
    61.7 KB · Views: 201
  • DSCF4475.jpg
    DSCF4475.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 548
Last edited by a moderator:

Vince77

Reaction score
Looks like a nice clean job. Still seems like something is missing to me. :dontknow:

braves011

"Crouching Tiger"
Reaction score
Still seems like something is missing to me.

i agree can't put my finger on it but somethings missing. Either way it don't look bad at all, I reckon this is officially the Martha Stewart mod :laugh:

X_RUNNIN

Reaction score
is it possible to pop the emblem back on? like pop it off...paint it then pop it back on?

joman

Reaction score
this is a very good clear precise write up! good job and i like the creativity alot! thanks for the ideas!

KETCHUP

Reaction score
is it possible to pop the emblem back on? like pop it off...paint it then pop it back on?

ya bro. that is definatley possible. you would have to use a thin material for it though. would have to cut the holes back out for the emblem (out of the fabric once its glued on. Then re-attach it. Would be nice to see someone do that.

i agree can't put my finger on it but somethings missing. Either way it don't look bad at all, I reckon this is officially the Martha Stewart mod :laugh:

Ya....kinda thought the same thing. Maybe Ill get creative and put something on it later. Maybe a small TRD emblem later.

Last edited:

aznx_piggey

Reaction score
i see you got alot of buttons and switches:biggrin: wut do they do

Stevenredx

Reaction score
Very innovative :top:

I also changed the thread title to be a little more specific.

X_RUNNIN

Reaction score
ya bro. that is definatley possible. you would have to use a thin material for it though. would have to cut the holes back out for the emblem (out of the fabric once its glued on. Then re-attach it. Would be nice to see someone do that.

Im talkin without putting any material under it...like just pop it out paint it black and pop it back in...basically how it is stock just blacked out?
:hmmmm2:

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Im talkin without putting any material under it...like just pop it out paint it black and pop it back in...basically how it is stock just blacked out?:hmmmm2:

:laugh:helps when you read....
Ya bro, that's definatley possible......

X_RUNNIN

Reaction score
lol damn i wanna do it bad now...black it out but im scared ill break somethin while popping it out lol

BoominTaco

Reaction score
thats cool but i just wanted to black the emblem out, and none of that martha ****. Cool to know it comes out easily.

Last edited by a moderator:

the blue taco runner

"Livin It Up"
Reaction score
This is just something I thought up but Ive been considering it for a long time now. What if you pop the toyota emblem on, fill it the space, and then glue on the X emblem?

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
you might have to use 3m tape? its strong and durable and that's what the emblem has on the back of it.

Kidder

Reaction score
You have a lot of switched on the left What do they all control?

Top Bottom