Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Write-Up: Wiring the Gaylord X-2000 Tonneau

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I've received quite a few PM's regarding how I wired my X-2000 so I decided to snap a couple photos and repost my original write-up.

Wiring was VERY easy once I decided to just go to the fuse box. I'm sure there's a better always-on-power location, but this was what I found. Here's what I did:

1. Run the Gaylord wiring through the existing hole on the driver's side front, bottom of the bed. It's the hole right where the Gaylord harness hangs. I had to bore it out slightly larger using a 1/4 inch bit (+/- 1/8") so that the wire ties and the ground wire would fit through. I also had to bend the ground connector some to get it to fit through the hole. No worries - bent it back straight once through the bed.

gaylord_wiring_pic1.jpg

gaylord_wiring_pic2.jpg

Close-up Angle

2. Locate the rubber "plug" under the truck to get inside the cab. This is located about 6-8 inches in from the side skirt, in the middle of the drivers door, directly under the drivers seat. Go ahead and remove the electrical tape --- we'll replace it once we're done running all the wires.

gaylord_wiring_pic3.jpg

3. Remove the plastic running board along the drivers side door. This just pops out by pulling straight up. No screws to worry about.

gaylord_wiring_pic3-2.jpg

4. Remove the foot rest, and drivers side kick panel.

gaylord_wiring_pic6.jpg

gaylord_wiring_pic7.jpg

5. Now we need to fish the Gaylord hot and ground wire through the rubber plug under the drivers seat. I got a coat hanger and ran it from the inside of the cab through the plug to the underside of the truck. Then I taped my Gaylord wires to it and fished it back through the plug. The plug is VERY tight to keep out water so you might have to fiddle with it some or just pull real hard. You could probably use some soap here on the Gaylord sheath to make it a little easier.

gaylord_wiring_pic5.jpg

6. I then hooked the ground wire to one of the bolts that was behind the kick panel.

gaylord_wiring_pic8.jpg

7. To get to the fuse box, I just fished my hot Gaylord wire (red) through the hole that the hood release wire runs through. It's pretty easy to locate. There are a bunch of wires that run from the fuse through the firewall - the hood release wire is right above it. It's a little less cramped than the hole with all the wires so I just fished my hot wire through there.

gaylord_wiring_pic9.jpg

8. Last, I spliced into one of the plugs that was in the fuse box. I used the middle white plug (see photo below) - the hot wire / always-on is solid white. Just quick splice into that and voila - keyless entry and dome light should be working.

gaylord_wiring_pic10.jpg

gaylord_wiring_pic11.jpg

9. Don't forget to go back and replace the electrical tape around the plug. This will help prevent water from coming into the cab. Also, I zip tied my Gaylord wire to an existing hose (brakes?) right near where the wire drops from the bed (see photo). This will keep it from dangling under the truck since there is some slack.

gaylord_wiring_pic4.jpg

I hope this helps guys!

Matsu49

Reaction score
Nice write up. Is it possible to have the cover hooked up to a aftermarket alarm instead of using the remote that it came with?

Twisted Creations

Reaction score
Nice write up. Is it possible to have the cover hooked up to a aftermarket alarm instead of using the remote that it came with?
yes, depending on how many channels the alarm system has, you should be able to wire a hood pin style switch and perhaps the light as well...:top:
oh, and awesome write-up Klint, I knew you were good for something :biggrin:

Matsu49

Reaction score
I think your talking about using the aftermarket alarm to protect the lid too. I was wondering about the latch. The X2000's come with a wireless remote that you can use to open the latch without a key, I was just wondering if I could use my aftermarket remote instead of the X2000 remote.

ddongbap

Reaction score
Dude, K2. That was CRAZY indeph. That was SO GOOD.

K2

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Dude, K2. That was CRAZY indeph. That was SO GOOD.

Thanks bro! I just know that when I go through a write-up I like to have all the details and many of them lack that. So when I kept seeing this question of how to wire up the Gaylord cover come up over and over... I decided to do a good writeup on how I did it.

I've got some really great ideas on providing some more write-ups in the future. Just gotta wait from some things in RL to cool down first (and X-Fest) so that I can allocate some time toward these ideas. :top:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
Hmm, I have a TL series with the keyless remote, Im wondering for any of you other wiring gurus, I saw the question about wiring it to an aftermarket remote, is it possible to wire just the unlock/lock with the factory? Anyone of you x2000 guys tried that, or is it easier to just use the seperate remote? or your viper or other aftermarket?

InkedRunner

Reaction score
thank you for bumping this up Don. Now I will wire my lid this weekend.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
hey bro, its all about q and a haha, i found this, but i want to go even more in depth, Im wondering...seriously :top:

InkedRunner

Reaction score
When I asked Kris from gaylords if I could make the stock remote work with the lid he said no.

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I asked him the same thing, but i think he said because he was unsure about wavelength signals??? Ill see what I can come up with, Ive seen other lids use factory keyless entry, I just need to figure out how or if I can make it work, as a matter of fact my pop has a *coughleercough* 700 series, so ill check his out :top: I just dont want two seperate keyless entry remotes on one keyring, that is just retarded....

Top Bottom