Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

WTB, open diff....again...

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Once more into the breech....

This marks the 3rd welded diff adventure, and I've found out that I need to find a truly experienced welder to do this. Im on my 2nd diff welded by my "experienced" fabricator friend and the welds have failed again.....

Anywho, so yah, I need a open diff. Just the diff itself. No carrier/ring/pinion. Let me know on how much you want for it and estimated shipping to 92107.

Thanks.

Gadget

Reaction score
Thought about installing a ARB AirLocker??

G

Toon714

Reaction score
Kevin. Ima install my trutrac lsd soon.
If u want my stock lsd. Let me know.

Ill be moving back to so cali in oct.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Thought about installing a ARB AirLocker??

G

Arb airlockers are not designed for use on the street. Nobody That im aware of has ever used it for drifting too. Its gonna be put through abuse that is arguably worse then anything you will experience off road. But yes, I have thought about it.

Kevin. Ima install my trutrac lsd soon.
If u want my stock lsd. Let me know.

Ill be moving back to so cali in oct.

Unless your doing this with in the next week, I need open diff rather sooner then later.

Last edited:

Toon714

Reaction score
Arb airlockers are not designed for use on the street. Nobody That im aware of has ever used it for drifting too. Its gonna be put through abuse that is arguably worse then anything you will experience off road. But yes, I have thought about it.

Unless your doing this with in the next week, I need open diff rather sooner then later.

Yes. Im thinking about doing it next weekend.
Since im gonna take out my valve body and send it to ipt to get my upgrade.
I migjt as well take the 3rd member out and give it a shop to.do my trutrac.install.

Ill keep u updated.

But if u dont wanna wait. I thibk I saw someone saling a lsd on TW. for 250 or best offer shipped. throw him an offer.
http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/buy-sell-trade/218588-fs-factory-toyota-lsd-8-4-differential.html

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
what about one of the many mechanical lockers available?

Aussie
Lockrite
Spartan
Etc...

I have used Aussie lockers and am satisfied with their performance on and offroad.

I just put another aussie locker in my 8.8 on the jeep.

Not sure if they make it for the yota rear end but they replace ur spider gears and are very easy to install.

On the road they function very well and you dont know they are there 90% of the time.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Do we have 31 spline axles? I have the diff I got with my 4.30 gears. If it will work for you, its all yours. :top:

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Do we have 31 spline axles? I have the diff I got with my 4.30 gears. If it will work for you, its all yours. :top:

I think ours is 30 spilne....if the 430gears came out of a 6 lug tacoma then its the same as ours.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
I believe it was out of an older tundra actually. I think it will work for you. I was counting the splines wrong.
Say the word and I'll ship it out to you.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
what about one of the many mechanical lockers available?

Aussie
Lockrite
Spartan
Etc...

I have used Aussie lockers and am satisfied with their performance on and offroad.

I just put another aussie locker in my 8.8 on the jeep.

Not sure if they make it for the yota rear end but they replace ur spider gears and are very easy to install.

On the road they function very well and you dont know they are there 90% of the time.

Im not going to get into detail on why, but half of those don't bolt into the 8. 4rear ends...if I recall. Other issue is in drifting, the diff needs to be 100% predictable and very strong. Unless your into drifting, my reasons behind a welded diff wont make any sense to you....

And just to add this, all im looking for is an open diff. Not a lecture from a bunch of internet technicians on what kind of diff you think i should use for drifting, esp from folks who don't know the first thing about it. Sorry to sound like an ass, im.just stressed out and trying to get my truck 100% before texfest.

I believe it was out of an older tundra actually. I think it will work for you. I was counting the splines wrong.
Say the word and I'll ship it out to you.

That's still a 30 spline. That will work. Pm your paypall info and a shipping qoute to 92107, so i can send it, and a little something for your time. :adore:

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Im not going to get into detail on why, but half of those don't bolt into the 8. 4rear ends...if I recall. Other issue is in drifting, the diff needs to be 100% predictable and very strong. Unless your into drifting, my reasons behind a welded diff wont make any sense to you....

And just to add this, all im looking for is an open diff. Not a lecture from a bunch of internet technicians on what kind of diff you think i should use for drifting, esp from folks who don't know the first thing about it. Sorry to sound like an ass, im.just stressed out and trying to get my truck 100% before texfest.

That's still a 30 spline. That will work. Pm your paypall info and a shipping qoute to 92107, so i can send it, and a little something for your time. :adore:

Your Lincoln locker hasn't proved to be the strongest item out there either - its essentially a half ass spool.

Not trying to be a dick - was just a suggestion of names to look into as far as that type of locker goes (and there are many more out there); the lunchbox mechanical ones are cheap and effective when compared to an electric or airlocker.

Have I drifted with one? Nope... Stronger then the lincoln one? Id bet on it.

If you are spinning its locked and predictable (they lock up right away), if you set the clearances up on the tight side the better it will be.

have you ever used them?

Oversized tires and mud put a massive load on everything (enough to break just about everything that's not beefed up to handle it) - not so sure how drifting would compare load wise; maybe you can edumucate' us redneck types.

Id be happy to read the comparison between the torque load on all the components while offroading vs. drifting.

Just saying could of potentially been a more street friendly version of what you were trying to do at an affordable price if it would work for your application.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
I was going to say a Detroit locker, or an OX locker. The OX locker can be open, or cable actuated to full lock.

Next choice after those, for me, would be a full spool, or a mini spool.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Your Lincoln locker hasn't proved to be the strongest item out there either - its essentially a half ass spool.

I think at this point all he wants is cheap and predictable driving. He knows the welded diff will drive the way he wants. I don't think he wants to spend several hundred on a diff that might work when he can spend 50 and just weld up another open diff.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
I think at this point all he wants is cheap and predictable driving. He knows the welded diff will drive the way he wants. I don't think he wants to spend several hundred on a diff that might work when he can spend 50 and just weld up another open diff.

A lot of your lunchbox lockers are only around 200ish $, have a lifetime or extended warranty, can be done in under an hour, and I think even a trial period (if you dont like it send it back type deal) - thats why I suggested it..

Shit find a different axle at a wreck yard and throw a spool in it - Done (another very cheap option if you are capable of doing the work).

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Two words for you, clutch kick. Look up what that is and what it does to the driveline and get back to me.

I don't doubt the fact the those lockers work excellent off road. The issues is NOBODY has tested them for drifting applications. Im not not in the mood to keep throwing various locker types at her, only to find out they exploded the first time I try a top of 3rd clutch kick with a decent tire compound.

I my taking This diff to the guy who welded up quicksteer knuckles. This one, isn't going to break.

Yah, lets spend the time and effort to swap in a completely diffrent Axle, redesign a new traction bar, drive shaft, swaybar mounts, shock mounts.....tell me again what part of that is susposed to be cheap? -_-

Also, a lot of those lockers You.mentioned warn against being used on trucks with big tires/heavy weight...so it sounds like they would work great in high shock load conditions like drifting. :laugh:

Last edited:

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
Two words for you, clutch kick. Look up what that is and what it does to the driveline and get back to me.

I don't doubt the fact the those lockers work excellent off road. The issues is NOBODY has tested them for drifting applications. Im not not in the mood to keep throwing various locker types at her, only to find out they exploded the first time I try a top of 3rd clutch kick with a decent tire compound.

I my taking This diff to the guy who welded up quicksteer knuckles. This one, isn't going to break.

Yah, lets spend the time and effort to swap in a completely diffrent Axle, redesign a new traction bar, drive shaft, swaybar mounts, shock mounts.....tell me again what part of that is susposed to be cheap? -_-

Also, a lot of those lockers You.mentioned warn against being used on trucks with big tires/heavy weight...so it sounds like they would work great in high shock load conditions like drifting. :laugh:

Sounds like all labor to me buddy - your labor is very cheap (if you can do the work).

Ever climb up a rough rocky hill with big ass tires (a shit ton of rotating mass) and get the entire back end of the truck hopping up and down off the ground (massive shock load)?

Id imagine that's an extremely magnified version of the clutch kick that you speak of (shock load wise on the rear components).

In that scenario usually ive had the axle break, not the locker.

Either way a lunchbox locker was just a potential cheap solution that you could try and return if you dont like it.

redarkx

Reaction score
So... This wtb thread has become a who knows more contest. Somebody sell this man a diff so I dont have to see the pissing contest about welded and lockers, drifting and offroading No offense to either party.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Custom drive shaft? Labour? ....not quite buddy. That's a couple hundred bucks Right there.

Those big ass tires are also flexing a shit ton and helping absorb said shock loads.....but fine, lets not get into a pissing match about which sport is more abusive. Point is, no one has tested those stlye lockers in drifting, and I don't wanna find out the hard way that don't freaking work.

Remember, there are still loads of other variables in drifting where have a unpredictable diff can be a nuances... maybe if I had a full shop and loads of time and money to spend on testing diffrent stlye locked diffs, sure, why not...lets try a few of the off road lockers.

Welded diffs work great for drifting. Fact. Lets not reinvent the wheel here and start making things more complicated then they need to be., as long as the person doing the welding isn't a dumb ass....welded diff usually shear pinion/rings (like Toespd), or snap axles and ujoints. The welded diffs them selves should NEVER fail.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
So... This wtb thread has become a who knows more contest. Somebody sell this man a diff so I dont have to see the pissing contest about welded and lockers, drifting and offroading No offense to either party.

It really hasnt and I haven't taken it that way (so I hope SDX hasnt either) I admit no experience in drifting - never did.

Comparing different offroad scenarios to different drift scenarios however can give you an idea of how parts fail, where they fail, and why.

A differential in general (on or offroad) is a pretty simple device with a handful of options that generally do the same thing by applying a few different principals of approach.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend and how much work you are capable of doing.

They are just suggestions to consider and can be taken or left - if anything maybe someone reading this thread will learn more.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
Oh and, thank you blackx-runner for coming to the rescue. I found a diff, so we can continue the pissing match if y'all like.

It really hasnt and I haven't taken it that way (so I hope SDX hasnt either) I admit no experience in drifting - never did.

Comparing different offroad scenarios to different drift scenarios however can give you an idea of how parts fail, where they fail, and why.

A differential in general (on or offroad) is a pretty simple device with a handful of options that generally do the same thing by applying a few different principals of approach.

It comes down to how much money you want to spend and how much work you are capable of doing.

They are just suggestions to consider and can be taken or left - if anything maybe someone reading this thread will learn more.

Yah, im not taking any offense to this at all. Its nice to bounce ideas off of each other.:top:

And let me just clarify, I don't doubt that one of the stronger lockers would work as in not fail, im just worried about how it locks/when/how hard. That's the unpredictable factor.

If spools existed for the 8.4, I'd do it in a heart beat. That is a welded diff, only stronger. It will behave like one, and would work perfect for drifting. Infact, I know a quite a few eight-six guys with spools.

Last edited:
Top Bottom