Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

X-Runner gurus... help me out with my *cough* Pre-Runner o.0

Rat Rod

"Blade"
Reaction score
well as for twin turbo vs single if i remember corectly rexrunners single is making more power than megabitez twin?

hell if money is no oblject get a 5.7 tundra regular cab and twinturbo it :)

Oblivious

Reaction score
If money isnt an issue, and you want the most power. You need to buy the forged internals like everyone else was saying, and then you need to hire a reputable shop to make you a front mount turbo kit, single or twin, it comes down to preference.

Build the trans first.

Tune it with the X-1.

Then call me when you are done so I can make a video of it.:top:

Alright haha, so X-1, Transmission, Internals, What next? Btw, your films are badass!

well as for twin turbo vs single if i remember corectly rexrunners single is making more power than megabitez twin?

hell if money is no oblject get a 5.7 tundra regular cab and twinturbo it :)
I'll get a tundra in a couple of years, whenever im satisfied with my tacoma. Then I'll mess with that haha. Except.. the tundra will be a crewmax lol.

Oblivious

Reaction score
Hell yeah! Now I'm getting somewhere!

Step #1: X-1 Chip w/ Camgears
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260518754
Price: $1,395.00

Step #2: TTC Camshafts w/ TTC Cores(which one do I get?)
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/1g4ca.html
Price: $1,950

Step #3: TTC Valve Springs
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/1gvasp.html
Price: $400

Step #4: JE Forged Pistons(Which compression ratio, and what are the 'coatings'? Ill add em just to be safe))?
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/jefopi1g.html
Price: $1,599

Step #5: Pauter Rods
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/paro1g.html
Price: $1,600

Step #6: Anything else in the engine to upgrade? Or should I move to the tranny? What site should I go to, to upgrade the tranny?

Total So far: $6,944 ... looking good. Thought it would be a lot more expensive!

Last edited:

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd just upgrade the clutch and flywheel......beyond that it's more replacement than upgrade no?

http://www.urdusa.com

I've been hearing good things about the steel flywheel and the stage 3 clutch. Stockish drivability but much better holding power :top:

05bluerunner

Reaction score
I'd just upgrade the clutch and flywheel......beyond that it's more replacement than upgrade no?

I've been hearing good things about the steel flywheel and the stage 3 clutch. Stockish drivability but much better holding power :top:

He has an auto in the trd sport, no need for flywheel or clutch.

May have to wait on the X-1, or is the plug they need for the 09 out now?

internalls- if you are going to put a big amount of boost in the engine you are going to want to lower the cr below the stock 10:1.

Oblivious

Reaction score

Look at the above post for updates. And my truck is auto :p

He has an auto in the trd sport, no need for flywheel or clutch.

May have to wait on the X-1, or is the plug they need for the 09 out now?

internalls- if you are going to put a big amount of boost in the engine you are going to want to lower the cr below the stock 10:1.

Can you explain the logic behind this? I know nothing about compression ratios. What would you do? I would love to go for as much boost as humanly possible in the end without running a high risk of destroying my engine (Remember, I am just looking for 0-60 and 1/4th times in the end).

NHXRUNNER

"New Hampster"
Staff member
Reaction score
Look at the above post for updates. And my truck is auto :p

Suminabitch :eviltongue:......well in that case there is one mod out there that I can remember....I don't know who had it done.....or specifically what it entails, other than there is a part that you pull out, ship out, and re install and it improves the engagement in the auto trannys :dontknow:

Oblivious

Reaction score
Suminabitch :eviltongue:......well in that case there is one mod out there that I can remember....I don't know who had it done.....or specifically what it entails, other than there is a part that you pull out, ship out, and re install and it improves the engagement in the auto trannys :dontknow:

Ahh yes! Import performance does this... erm, which one would you guys recommend, money isnt a problem.

http://www.importperformancetrans.com/toyotaauto.shtml

Phoenix

"Snow Ninja"
Reaction score
... At this moment in time I'm living vicariously through you. Just sayin'.

Oblivious

Reaction score
... At this moment in time I'm living vicariously through you. Just sayin'.

Lmao, my life was shit up until a few years ago! But thanks a ton dude. I really appreciate all of the help btw.

Murderface

Reaction score
There is a post with alink to a co that makes an adapter plate to mount any Chevy auto trans to the 1GRFE:top: if u wanted to go that route? I'm sure a chevy trans will hold more power then a Toyota trans any day.
Just throwing that out there

Oblivious

Reaction score
There is a post with alink to a co that makes an adapter plate to mount any Chevy auto trans to the 1GRFE:top: if u wanted to go that route? I'm sure a chevy trans will hold more power then a Toyota trans any day.
Just throwing that out there

How much power though heh. I would love to be able to have the best tranny possible.

Last edited:

Oblivious

Reaction score
Hell yeah! Now I'm getting somewhere!

---Stage #1: Exhaust---

Step A: Doug Thorley Long Tube Headers
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=93_120&products_id=1260518539
Price: $515

Step B: URD Competition Y Pipe
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=93_125&products_id=1260518483
Price: $426

Step C: URD Stainless 3" Exhaust "Magnaflow"
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=93_95&products_id=1260518482
Price: $450

Stage #1 Price: $1391

---Stage #2: Internals---

Step A: X-1 Chip w/ Camgears
http://www.urdusa.com/product_info.php?cPath=66_72&products_id=1260518754
Price: $1,395.00

Step B: TTC Camshafts w/ TTC Cores(which one do I get?)
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/1g4ca.html
Price: $1,950

Step C: TTC Valve Springs
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/1gvasp.html
Price: $400

Step D: JE Forged Pistons(Which compression ratio, and what are the 'coatings'? Ill add em just to be safe))?
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/jefopi1g.html
Price: $1,599

Step E: Pauter Rods
http://ttcperformanceproducts.com/paro1g.html
Price: $1,600

Step C: 6 Denso Iridium IKH-22 Spark Plugs
http://www.urdusa.com/index.php?products_id=1260518477
Price: $66

Stage #2 Price: $7010

---Stage #3: No idea yet.. fuel system? Suspension? Transmission? I need another serious overhaul---

What should stage 3 be? Or are there any other things to add to stage 1/2? I'm looking for top quality with every possible modification that would squeeze power out of my truck without risking breaking it down. Remember, I'm staying N/A for now..

Last edited:

SX TOY

Reaction score
ok if your are serious about making mad powa it is best to start from the ground up.
set an approximate goal for your power levels say 500 horse with that and info on how you want to drive (daily driver+) go to a suspension shop they can help you set up your suspension to handle and maximize your susp.brakes would be next so you dont end up being a 500 hp splat on the side of the road somewhere(stoptech makes all the trd stuff) then I would go to a tranny shop, there is an adapter plate for our 1gr to accept a chevy auto. those trannys can handle way more power and have much more tuning ability. once they help you settle on a tranny w/mods have them swap your rear gears for something more aggressive. your truck starts with a 3:73 rear gear the higher you go the quicker your truck will be but you lose on top end. then on to the fun stuff.....the motor forged internals preferably balanced have the shop that is doing your turbos decide your compression ratio then x1(not for 09 yet)or new cams from ttc, lte flywheel. as far as turbos go what you pick determines how the power comes on as a daily a sequential twin setup may work well. including a small turbo to spool quickly and a big turbo to pour on the hp. you could also add a small shot of nos to max the efficiency of your intake charge. those are the basics there is plenty more to be spent on the little stuff but if you start ground up it is more likely once all that is done it will handle the power easily. if you read any write ups about serious performance cars most have begun this way. but I would consider getting a true daily driver for now because each one of those visits to a performance shop especially the custom stuff(tranny,internals,turbos) could be a long visit. hope this helps you out

XrunnIT

Reaction score
Building a motor (internals) takes down time. Even having a shop perform the work, it will be down. Something to consider if this is your daily driver, can you let your truck be down for a month maybe more?

Unfortunately at this time, the X-1 will not work with the 09 ECUs.

How much power are you planning on making? How fast do you want to go?

What kind of balance do you want between performance and drivability? For example, DT Headers, URD Y pipe, and the URD Catback will offer the best performance for HP, but will be VERY loud. Is that something you can deal with.

What's the most powerful vehicle you've driven? If you haven't driven anything with say 300rwhp, then I wouldn't recommend trying to build a 500rwhp vehicle. It would more power then you know how to handle, which would be a danger to you and drivers around you.

Start small, but plan it out so once you learn how to handle that much power you can keep adding more.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
Building a motor (internals) takes down time. Even having a shop perform the work, it will be down. Something to consider if this is your daily driver, can you let your truck be down for a month maybe more?

What kind of balance do you want between performance and drivability? For example, DT Headers, URD Y pipe, and the URD Catback will offer the best performance for HP, but will be VERY loud. Is that something you can deal with.

What's the most powerful vehicle you've driven? If you haven't driven anything with say 300rwhp, then I wouldn't recommend trying to build a 500rwhp vehicle. It would more power then you know how to handle, which would be a danger to you and drivers around you.

Start small, but plan it out so once you learn how to handle that much power you can keep adding more.

Very good advice and something to think about.
Know your end goal before you just start dumping money into the truck. And pay to do it right with quality components and quality workmanship or you are going to be spending way more money in the long run. I am on my supercharger kit and still want more power LOL. And with the money I have spent I could have done internals and turbo and had some serious power.
A nice properly sized single turbo setup should get you more than enough power to make you happy. Running 8-10 psi should get you ~400HP. Anything more than that and you will want to get better internals.
You will need to upgrade the fuel system for that power- bigger pump and injectors-. All of that can be found through the vendors on the site. And as far as the tuning of the system if you have a shop doing the work see what they recommend for tuning. I would also recommend the X-1, but like X-runnIT said it won't fit the '09 models yet.
Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

Oblivious

Reaction score
ok if your are serious about making mad powa it is best to start from the ground up.
set an approximate goal for your power levels say 500 horse with that and info on how you want to drive (daily driver+) go to a suspension shop they can help you set up your suspension to handle and maximize your susp.brakes would be next so you dont end up being a 500 hp splat on the side of the road somewhere(stoptech makes all the trd stuff) then I would go to a tranny shop, there is an adapter plate for our 1gr to accept a chevy auto. those trannys can handle way more power and have much more tuning ability. once they help you settle on a tranny w/mods have them swap your rear gears for something more aggressive. your truck starts with a 3:73 rear gear the higher you go the quicker your truck will be but you lose on top end. then on to the fun stuff.....the motor forged internals preferably balanced have the shop that is doing your turbos decide your compression ratio then x1(not for 09 yet)or new cams from ttc, lte flywheel. as far as turbos go what you pick determines how the power comes on as a daily a sequential twin setup may work well. including a small turbo to spool quickly and a big turbo to pour on the hp. you could also add a small shot of nos to max the efficiency of your intake charge. those are the basics there is plenty more to be spent on the little stuff but if you start ground up it is more likely once all that is done it will handle the power easily. if you read any write ups about serious performance cars most have begun this way. but I would consider getting a true daily driver for now because each one of those visits to a performance shop especially the custom stuff(tranny,internals,turbos) could be a long visit. hope this helps you out

Great advice :). So the first stage will be my suspension and brakes then! Then the tranny (I guess Ill go for a higher number, I care about the truck being quicker), then Ill get my exhaust done, then the internals... and riiiight after the internals and X-1 (when it comes out for the 09), anything else I need to upgrade before I hit up the turbo? Tires, I suppose lmao.

Oh definitely.

Meh...

In the end? After I have had a lot of practice, learned everything I can about my truck, and poured my heart, soul, and wallet into it? As much as can be squeezed out of the sucker without it breaking down

That doesnt hinder drivability for me... I love engine/exhaust sounds (except for ricer shit). They will be something for me to be proud of.

Drove a lambo, but those are AWD.. and nothing like driving a powerful RWD. I agree 100% with you, which is why I am going to make this a very progressive project.

quote=XrunnIT;544338]
Start small, but plan it out so once you learn how to handle that much power you can keep adding more.[/quote]
Will do, chief!

Very good advice and something to think about.
Know your end goal before you just start dumping money into the truck. And pay to do it right with quality components and quality workmanship or you are going to be spending way more money in the long run. I am on my supercharger kit and still want more power LOL. And with the money I have spent I could have done internals and turbo and had some serious power.
A nice properly sized single turbo setup should get you more than enough power to make you happy. Running 8-10 psi should get you ~400HP. Anything more than that and you will want to get better internals.
You will need to upgrade the fuel system for that power- bigger pump and injectors-. All of that can be found through the vendors on the site. And as far as the tuning of the system if you have a shop doing the work see what they recommend for tuning. I would also recommend the X-1, but like X-runnIT said it won't fit the '09 models yet.
Good luck and keep us updated on what you decide to do.

I hope everybody here is pointing me in the direction of the best components! But do you see anything else I can upgrade in the internals stage or exhaust stage from the post above? And could I have a link to where I can buy all of the suspension stuff? I will really need to do my research on what suspension set up to have... In the mean time I am going to look around for more info on that adapter plate.

ntinhri

Reaction score
My suggestion is call urd, order mkII stage IV. I promise u that blower will product the same as this TT turbo set up. Traction, internals, rearend, and trans will be ur weak links. TRD or URD have kits out that will keeping up the the fastest tacomas around. TT setup hasn't been tested like the others. I have a lot of miles on my set up and its one of the fastest trucks out there (can be debated but its one of the faster ones). Imo trd and urd have done all the testing for u. I assure u it will put a smile on ur face and roast the back tires!

Cliff notes;
MKII stage IV
Trans overhualed ipt upgrade
Traction bar
New teeth to show off that smile!

Oblivious

Reaction score
My suggestion is call urd, order mkII stage IV. I promise u that blower will product the same as this TT turbo set up. Traction, internals, rearend, and trans will be ur weak links. TRD or URD have kits out that will keeping up the the fastest tacomas around. TT setup hasn't been tested like the others. I have a lot of miles on my set up and its one of the fastest trucks out there (can be debated but its one of the faster ones). Imo trd and urd have done all the testing for u. I assure u it will put a smile on ur face and roast the back tires!

Cliff notes;
MKII stage IV
Trans overhualed ipt upgrade
Traction bar
New teeth to show off that smile!

Thanks! Im still looking into those after I get all of my internals, suspension, electronics, and exahust done... but I thought the MKII only goes to stage III?

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
So you have all this money!! Dont care about downtime!!! Want the most badass Tacoma out there!!! Why not just say eff it and drop a 2jZ in that thing. That will definitly surpress alll your power neeeds :top:

Top Bottom