NEWS XRU gets an upgrade

Discussion in 'Site News & Updates' started by K2, May 26, 2014.

?

What color should XRU 3.0 be?

Poll closed Aug 5, 2014.
  1. Black/dark background with white text (like it is now)

95.1%
  2. White/light background with dark text

4.9%
  1. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

XRU is long overdue for a software upgrade - and I am beginning to do the work to test the upgrade to the newest software version. This will mean many good things for XRU including new features, tablet and mobile compatibility, faster performance, etc. The down side? The XRU style/theme/skin as we know it will go away forever. There will be a transition process as the new skin is tweaked and redesigned to the same level that XRU v2.0 was originally years ago.

This is a notice that things are guaranteed to change, may be somewhat less-than-desireable for a while, but hang with us while we complete the process. The good part - I want to know what you guys think the site is lacking? This is your chance to give me your opinion as users. What do you want for forum to do? What do you want the store to sell? What can we do to make this place more awesome? Give it to us straight. Honest feedback is the best feedback.

Things that will definitely be going away:
    • The Garage
    • The Arcade
    • The Chatroom
    Thanks to all of you for being members of XRU - some of you for many years. Now, let's get busy overhauling this bitch. :rockon:

Attached Files:

2. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

Not matter what you do it will always be great and changes can always be good but no matter what it's the people on here that make it so great! CHEERS!

3. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

I would love to be able to "tag" users in posts

And I would love a user map to display the towns that everyone is from. Would make planning events a bit easier :top:

4. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

Can something be done with the search feature?

I can never find anything I look for.

Other than that I think the site is great. I really appreciate all the hard work you and everyone else do to give us a place to hang out and enjoy the hobby.

G

5. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

What are some search terms that you search for that you have difficulty locating?

6. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

For searching I use google to actually find threads, for some reason that I don't understand I put the same search words through XRU and I get alot of random threads that don't really relate

7. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

You guys hook me up with some examples so that I can do some testing during the upgrade process.

8. hrspwr236

hrspwr236 Active Member

Misted recent search I did was looking at a yellow painted x-brace

9. rentoo

rentoo Member

Some of the limits on posts are higher than other sites. Really, 30 posts to view items for sale?? After owning my truck for over 2 years and being on the forum consistently I am only at 25 posts. It encourages posts when you have nothing to add.
    Just my 2 cents.

10. Gadget

Gadget Well-Known Member

It seems that the term "URD" has NEVER been posted on XRU ever. Isn't that odd??

G

11. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

I know that the current search engine can only register terms over 3 letters in length. This is obviously a problem since so many acronyms exist that are three letters - URD, TRD, FLM, STS, etc, etc. I'll see what we can do with the new software.

12. BSP06XRU

BSP06XRU Old Member

Not super necessary, but how about the icon that let's you know if you have posted in thread on the home page?
    This would come in handy on the introduction threads.
    Sometimes there are many intro threads I don't remember if I welcomed someone to XRU or not. :dontknow:

13. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

This is likely doable - but the homepage may be changing, at least temporarily. There are a large number of extensions that we currently use that are not applicable with the latest software. Not sure yet if the custom homepage will work but I have another idea, that may actually be better, as an alternative.

14. NHXRUNNER

NHXRUNNER "New Hampster"
    Staff Member

Most of us would like to have the mod list, post count, and location available on all devices.

15. madtrucker

madtrucker Active Member

I can't log on to XRU from Forum Runner. It says: The remote server sent an unknown response, This could be a result of the forum software plugin being outdated or having conflict. I love to check the site from Forum Runner. Any chance of getting it back up and running?

16. Slywhitty

Slywhitty "Midget Magnet"

Someway to directly upload photos to posts without using photobucket or anything like that would be cool. Not sure if that's possible or not but would make life a lot easier for new people to the site

17. Dewey7

Dewey7 Member

I've been on many car forums in my life and this one is already by far the best. My only preference is that if you make a mobile site that it doesn't force me to use it. Maybe an option when you first change it that I can make my personal preference set to the full site and it won't ask me every time. That is all keep up the good work.

Maybe one more thing a like button like facebook or instagram. In the "Show off your rims" thread I spend hours looking through to see very few pictures because people repost and say"Nice Rims" I think a simple like button would suffice and clean up those types of threads.

#17 Dewey7, May 27, 2014
    Last edited: May 27, 2014
  18. K2

K2 Administrator
    Staff Member

Forum Runner has been removed for the time being. The new version of the site will be fully responsive (display different styles/sizes for mobile, tablet and desktop) and Forum Runner should no longer be necessary.

19. Whitebeauty

Whitebeauty New Member

I agree with Matt, tagging users and them getting notifications that they were tagged and also the map is a good idea as well...

20. azburnin

azburnin Active Member

I'd say the sizing issue with Photos, I've not posted so many photos due to the photos restrictions. Is it possible to have it auto adjust it or something? Idk how to phrase it exactly. Thanks in advance!