Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Xrunner sub in 2012 access cab?

jmcmo

Reaction score
Hi! just bought 2012 access cab and want to install the Xrunner sub in it (I hear ya laughing) we liked the look and it fits nicely between the back seats BUT how to connect it to stock audio system? Connect to headunit or amp? Was told amp is in console between front seats- correct? We are going to take it to local audio shop for installation, just trying to learn something first. Thanks!

BTW browsed thru some pics and saw some nice trucks!!

darthyota

Reaction score
i thought all the access cabs now were coming with the alienware sub

jmcmo

Reaction score
still confused about this subwoofer..... what does it connect to in the Xrunner? head unit or is there a factory amp in the Xrunner that it connects to? If so where is the amp? thanks for any suggestions on how to hook this thing up in our 2012 TRD access cab.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
It's connected to an amp that is at the bottom of the enclosure. If you take the sub off the back wall and turn it around you will see if.

kayo808

Reaction score
If i was you i would just spend the money on a aftermarket sub. Its crap imo and you would have to cut holes in the back to mount it up and if you dont want it anymore you are stuck with holes in the back wall. Either you make a custom box to cover it up or make something to cover it up. But thats just me though

Outburst

Reaction score
i would also spend a little extra cash and run a monoblock and custom sub enclosure. less hassle and more upgradability! :top:

jmcmo

Reaction score
It's connected to an amp that is at the bottom of the enclosure. If you take the sub off the back wall and turn it around you will see if.

OK- so there is an amp in this funky looking enclosure- so I assume it is then directly connected to the head unit-right?

THANKS!

i would also spend a little extra cash and run a monoblock and custom sub enclosure. less hassle and more upgradability! :top:

If i was you i would just spend the money on a aftermarket sub. Its crap imo and you would have to cut holes in the back to mount it up and if you dont want it anymore you are stuck with holes in the back wall. Either you make a custom box to cover it up or make something to cover it up. But thats just me though

comments are well appreciated but my other half just wants this mounted in new truck. did not want to lose backseats/console space. So just trying to find out how. Thanks!

Last edited:

Outburst

Reaction score
well you won't be losing consolespace/backseats if you do something like this!
380317_3178422868479_547916874_n.jpg

plenty of room for passengers in the back. a little cramped, but i'm not sitting back there. my nephews love sitting in the back though, especially cause its "like an earthquake" according to them. :top:

xrgilly

Reaction score
u should find somebody that has removed theres could swap out the back plastic piece then both are happy one gets holes covered one gets a sub and panel with the proper holes..... just an idea

i know a few have taken theres out

kayo808

Reaction score
This is my old setup before i upgraded to my 12" RE sub
custombox.jpg

justin13703

Reaction score
Since the amp is built into the box with the sub, youll have to get power, ground and signal to it. Ive never seen one in person before but youll have to figure out where it should get power from, weather from the radio itself or if you will have to run a line from the battery. Im sure the circuit for the radio probably wont be powerful enough so youll probably have to run a line from the battery. It also may need a ignition source to kick the factory amp on and off with the truck. Then you have to get audio signal from the radio, which probably wont be easy. And you have to figure out how to mount it and hide all the wiring.

And last but not least, im sure the sub/amp doesnt have traditional terminals to make connections to, such as power, ground, remote and so on. It probably went into a toyota specific harness that plugged into the amp, so youd have to come up with a way just to make connections to the thing.

In the end, it will be ALOT of time and money for really no improvement over stock. There are a bunch of designs out there for small sub boxes that keep use of the back seats and compartments that sound great, and dont require cutting the truck up like you will have to to put a factory sub in there.

EDIT: Actually I just looked at the factory sub/amp setup in that link, and yes it is all powered by a special connector. It wont be fun to try to make connections to that thing.

babyboi2284

BaggedXR2284
Reaction score
All of the wires going to the stock sub are about 16 gauge wire and go to a connector. I removed mine and sold it and I'm glad I did...it sucked. But I have the two holes left over which I never did anything with yet. Honestly I would persuade your better half to not waste the money or time to install it cuz its not worth it. There are a bunch of options for us it just depends on what you want and how much you want to spend. I have a knock off subX box that I built. It was $30 for a sheet of MDF wood and it holds a JL10w6v2 and is also my daughters table lol.

jmcmo

Reaction score
Since the amp is built into the box with the sub, youll have to get power, ground and signal to it. Ive never seen one in person before but youll have to figure out where it should get power from, weather from the radio itself or if you will have to run a line from the battery. Im sure the circuit for the radio probably wont be powerful enough so youll probably have to run a line from the battery. It also may need a ignition source to kick the factory amp on and off with the truck. Then you have to get audio signal from the radio, which probably wont be easy. And you have to figure out how to mount it and hide all the wiring.

And last but not least, im sure the sub/amp doesnt have traditional terminals to make connections to, such as power, ground, remote and so on. It probably went into a toyota specific harness that plugged into the amp, so youd have to come up with a way just to make connections to the thing.

In the end, it will be ALOT of time and money for really no improvement over stock. There are a bunch of designs out there for small sub boxes that keep use of the back seats and compartments that sound great, and dont require cutting the truck up like you will have to to put a factory sub in there.

EDIT: Actually I just looked at the factory sub/amp setup in that link, and yes it is all powered by a special connector. It wont be fun to try to make connections to that thing.

Thanks!!! we do have the wiring harness and Toyota parts is sending (finally) the wiring diagram for the proper terminal connections so I think we can now take it to the local audio shop and see what they can do. Appreciate your comments..

justin13703

Reaction score
Thanks!!! we do have the wiring harness and Toyota parts is sending (finally) the wiring diagram for the proper terminal connections so I think we can now take it to the local audio shop and see what they can do. Appreciate your comments..
Oh cool , the wiring harness will definitely help out if this is the route you want to go, I hope I didnt come off as being an ass lol, just would hate to see someone spend a bunch of their time on a project and in the end not be happy.

jmcmo

Reaction score
Oh cool , the wiring harness will definitely help out if this is the route you want to go, I hope I didnt come off as being an ass lol, just would hate to see someone spend a bunch of their time on a project and in the end not be happy.

we appreciate all comments!!! with all the "no-go" comments we are going to look at other options. we did not want a big box in the middle of the back seat and thought mounting this thing on the back wall was a good option. Thanks! I'll give update on what we decide to do.

PS- when we were buying our truck and mentioned we like the look of the Xrunner subwoofer he threw that in the deal. That is how we ended up with this thing!

justin13703

Reaction score
Alot of people hate the look of the stock sub setup but im with you, I think it looks kinda cool, its just doesnt give the kind of sound anyone wants, thats why so many people end up taking them out or adding their own. If youre going to look at other options the best way to go is to find a "Subbin" or custom box for sale. The JL Stealth box is cool but IMO way too expensive.

Top Bottom