Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

xtremeterry's Ride

rx-runner

Reaction score
My truck (seen at the header of the site) had a bug guard on it the very first time I saw it sitting in front of the dealership. I never thought much of it and actually grew to like it after a while. I mostly like the black along the top of the hood - not so much the "guard" or what it "did."

After having Rob hound me time after time, I figured - what the hell - I'll unscrew it and leave it off for a few days and see what I think. If I leave the protective strips on there, I can put it back on if I want.

So I took it off and the two "protective" strips above my headlights looked like this:
001.jpg

002.jpg

I thought to myself.. hmmm, those don't look like they're in very good shape. After a couple of days I decided to leave the guard off and try something different (for me anyway). I had talked with Rob and he said that since it had only been on a year that there likely wouldn't be any paint damage. I removed the middle three protective strips and although there was a lot of adhesive residue on the hood, there really wasn't any damage. Some Goo-Gone cleaned it right up.

BUT, when I remove the two strips show above.............

004.jpg

003.jpg

I was all :motz::argh: :mad: - F'in pissed off to say the least. It was a Saturday so I called Oak Ridge Toyota and spoke with the manager. He told me to bring it in on Monday and he would look at it.

When I took the truck in he checked the log and verified that the Bug Guard was in fact installed AT THE FACTORY!? :stupid: It worked out good for me b/c after a 4-5 minute phone call at most, the service manager got Toyota to cover all the cost to repair the damage. I took the truck in Wednesday for an estimate and it looks like they're going to repaint the entire hood. :top: No questions - no difficulty. Just the way it should be.

So Oak Ridge Toyota, you get a big :top:.

Now, I'm just trying to figure out if I should have the inner part of the hood scoop painted black while it's in there....? I'm thinking yes. :biggrin:

here is why you should take it off, btw congrats on the truck

Top Bottom