Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

y-pipe added

Norcal-XR

Reaction score
So I got my y-pipe off of bob(tacoma2055) to go with my TCAI,DTLT and Trd exhaust, I have read that it would be loud once I put the y-pipe in.

I saw a sound clip with the same setup of a FJ, it sound pretty good, anyways once I put the y-pipe on, it didnt really sound much louder, then with tcai,dtlt,exhaust.

I notice the throttle response was alot heaviler, I know its not getting any back-pressure at all now. Im think about take the y-pipe back off.

I like the way it felt with-out the y-pipe, but I just want to feel it for myself.

Hi_On_X

Reaction score
So ur selling the y-pipe now?.... :dontknow:

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Sound should really only change with pipe-size/muffler. You basically gain four extra, wide-open pipes, with the headers so that is why they are so much louder. The new y-pipe just doesn't have cats, everything else is pretty much the same, and yea, you did lose a good bit of back pressure. Most people don't realize how much the cats on the y-pipe actually create. You still have the power, and you likely gained a few extra hp, but it is just higher up the power band.

Norcal-XR

Reaction score
sorry guys, im not sure if im selling it yet.

vecte: it does feel like it pulls alot better once at higher rpm, i think it at 2+ to like 4.5 or something it just feels worse. you thinks adding the nst pulley would help this?

5000XD

Reaction score
I say if you'r gonna supercharge or turbo the truck keep the stuff! You will make much more with this setup when going the forced induction rout.

rich017

Reaction score
yeah, if you plan on being F/I in the future, keep that setup

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
You have it, you might as well keep it. If you ever plan on getting a supercharger, or even turbocharge the truck through your own means, the y-pipe is going to be a must. Now, while you are currently N/A (naturally aspirated), you may want to switch back to the stock y-pipe. I have personally not seen in person, or felt in person, the effects of the y-pipe on an N/A application, but others have. I remembered one guy swapped his y-pipe out back to his stock y-pipe after awhile, and he claimed the difference was unreal.

Personally, I would run the stock y-pipe until you are blown, then just swap back to the urd one after. I don't know of anything that would help create back pressure so you could keep the y-pipe on though.

ntinhri

Reaction score
So I got my y-pipe off of bob(tacoma2055) to go with my TCAI,DTLT and Trd exhaust, I have read that it would be loud once I put the y-pipe in.

I saw a sound clip with the same setup of a FJ, it sound pretty good, anyways once I put the y-pipe on, it didnt really sound much louder, then with tcai,dtlt,exhaust.

I notice the throttle response was alot heaviler, I know its not getting any back-pressure at all now. Im think about take the y-pipe back off.

I like the way it felt with-out the y-pipe, but I just want to feel it for myself.

ill buy it from u 2

Deviant

Reaction score
sorry guys, im not sure if im selling it yet.

vecte: it does feel like it pulls alot better once at higher rpm, i think it at 2+ to like 4.5 or something it just feels worse. you thinks adding the nst pulley would help this?

You're making power, the only difference is you don't see the power until the upper ends of the power band. That's the thing with increasing pipe size and higher flow. The only way you'll lose power if you're VE is way off, for example if you're running 4" exhaust and you're N/A. 3" is pretty big, but it's proven to still be effective for our trucks.

Gadget

Reaction score
Here is a dyno chart from my truck when it was normally aspirated:

Dyno%201GR%20NA%20PP%202.jpg

The blue line is completely stock.

The green line is with the URD Competition Y-Pipe and URD 3" stainless exhaust.

The red line is adding the URD TCAI.

Gadget

Vecte

"Fluffy"
Reaction score
Here is a dyno chart from my truck when it was normally aspirated:

Dyno%201GR%20NA%20PP%202.jpg

The blue line is completely stock.

The green line is with the URD Competition Y-Pipe and URD 3" stainless exhaust.

The red line is adding the URD TCAI.

Gadget

What were your Torque numbers for each run, does this include the DTLTs that a lot of people have on their trucks, and was this tuned with the MAF cal, or just bolted up?

Deviant

Reaction score
From what I remember the DTLT's were not out yet when he did this dyno.

The red line is the y pipe, exhaust and intake tuned with the MAF Cal... I think

5000XD

Reaction score
I have been running the urd y pipe and urd exhaust like over 2 years now (I think) and I can feel the difference (I'm N/A with the Volant intake). Strange enough starting at 2500-3000 rpm just like on the graph!! Mind you I'm still untuned! Need to get a mapecu2 or apr one of these days....

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
not enough money, too many mods...:biggrin:

I say keep you setup...switch back to your stock y-pipe and when you go F/I then put the URD y-pipe back in...but either way you still made power...just higher up on the powerband

Top Bottom