Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Y-Pipe or Catback

X-Run-X-er

Reaction score
I was wondering what I would see more of a performance gain out of ..... the URD Y-Pipe or the URD Catback ? and i know prob a million people are going to talk about headers, I'm just intrested in knowing what will yeild me more power between the 2 being N/A with a TRD CAI ... all replies help ! thank you !!

5000XD

Reaction score
From what I hear is that you will only gain on the top end (since you'r still N/A). Honestly I would guess you would gain around the same if you go with one or the other....

I replaced both the stock Y pipe and stock muffler with the URD Y pipe and URD exhaust at the same time. I surely noticed some more power up top, above 3k rpm.

Good luck!

KETCHUP

Reaction score
IF it was either or, I would say cat back first. I really don't know how the truck would do N/A with the Y and stock exhaust. Doesn't make much sence to do that first. Just my opinion.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
The thing about the stock cat back is that is a continuous diameter with nice mandrel bends all the way out. Flows well from that stand point. The stock Y however is not. It has multiple size changes and not so smooth bends. Much higher restriction. The URD y is all 2.25" mandrel bent. Flows very well comparitively. Only thing is that the lack of cats in it make harder for the muffler to deaden some of the raspy exhaust tones that the cats absorb.

It is all about performance over sound. If you want both, you'll have to pay more. Plenty of threads on that matter here as well.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
The thing about the stock cat back is that is a continuous diameter with nice mandrel bends all the way out. Flows well from that stand point. The stock Y however is not. It has multiple size changes and not so smooth bends. Much higher restriction. The URD y is all 2.25" mandrel bent. Flows very well comparitively. Only thing is that the lack of cats in it make harder for the muffler to deaden some of the raspy exhaust tones that the cats absorb.

It is all about performance over sound. If you want both, you'll have to pay more. Plenty of threads on that matter here as well.

yea, I don't know if I will ever go the Y route honestly......

VIPDreamin

"Mr. Incredible"
Reaction score
Im N/A and I just went to the URD Y-pipe and Catback and gutted front cats. I ran gutted cats stock y and URD catcback for a while and just changed over the weekend. Its definately loud past like 3000rpm and cruising at 80 and up. The midrange and top end definately show some improvements. I dunno if I'd do it if it was a daily...a second mufler will go on eventually....but surpringly its not raspy at all and definately had some burp behind it. A good high rpm 3-4 shift lets out a nice sound around 6K lmao...can't wait to catch an open window or a tunnel with it...

5000XD

Reaction score
I'm putting on those DT long tubes this thursday. I'll be running 2 mufflers on the URD exhaust system plus the URD Y-pipe. I'll give my honest opinion on friday :smile:

...by the way, last time G said something about the new headers giving less rasp or even zero rasp, we shall see.

qponde51

Reaction score
i have the new dtlt's and urd catback with stock y and its still pretty raspy. it got worse when the headers went on. with the urd y get the turbo muffler on the catback.

X-Run-X-er

Reaction score
5000XD & X-Travagant ... you guys notice any low end loss ? and it the top end that much noticable ?

qponde51 ... you think I should run the Turbo Muffler with the URD Y-Pipe? even with no headers ?

Sykotic336

Reaction score
straight up catback bro.... with the y-pipe you wont like the rasp and then youll want to change your muffler to cancel the rasp so eventually youll be doing two at once if you go the ypipe way. from personal experience dont get the y-pipe just stick with the stock ypipe and get the urd catback i guarantee youll like the catback

urd y-pipe+stock catback = hella rasp, ugly noise
stock y-pipe+urd catback turbo = no rasp, and a nice grumble
stock y-pipe+urd catback nonturbo = no rasp and a deep aggressive grumble
stock y-pipe+urd catback nonturbo/turbo+doug thorely long tube = priceless

5000XD & X-Travagant ... you guys notice any low end loss ? and it the top end that much noticable ?

qponde51 ... you think I should run the Turbo Muffler with the URD Y-Pipe? even with no headers ?
in honesty youll want the headers eventually so to save you the trouble stick with the long tube headers stock y-pipe and get the regular urd catback non turbo. now from the turbo muffler vs the regular the turbo cancel any rasp at all but im not sure when compared with the headers and urd y, but it will give you a little less grumble. now with the regular muffler stock y and the long tube headers youll definately love the sound, it may have some rasp in the begin but as you warm up the muffler the rasp subsides completely.

Last edited:

TegoXR

Reaction score
stock y-pipe+urd catback nonturbo/turbo+doug thorely long tube = priceless

I'm waiting for my headers and exhaust to come in...hopefully at the end of the week.

5000XD

Reaction score
I haven't noticed any low end loss, top end it felt to pull harder for sure somehow :top:

qponde51

Reaction score
in honesty youll want the headers eventually so to save you the trouble stick with the long tube headers stock y-pipe and get the regular urd catback non turbo. now from the turbo muffler vs the regular the turbo cancel any rasp at all but im not sure when compared with the headers and urd y, but it will give you a little less grumble. now with the regular muffler stock y and the long tube headers youll definately love the sound, it may have some rasp in the begin but as you warm up the muffler the rasp subsides completely.[/QUOTE]

I agree. It does sound awesome once its warmed up with no rasp.

X-Run-X-er

Reaction score
Nice I'm deff going with the URD system, I don't really want headers due to the fact I'm trying to stay on Toyotas somewhat goodside and i really dont want to have to dish out extra cash just to fix a sensor light ... that being said I'm deff going with the URD CB and URD Y-PIPE. Hopefully I'll see some good gains ... how do they said together without headers ?

Top Bottom