Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Y-pipe update

Super Werty

Reaction score
Ok so as some of you know, I had a power loss issue and my truck momentarily stalled and then was fine again. Smelt rotten egg, and one of my cats sounded like some sand was rolling around inside.

So I bought a pipe bomb, installed it and have been driving around for 3 weeks now. Didnt have any power losses again, but I did notice something. As I was at a light, it turned green, i go, truck is accelerating but the AFR is rich...like it's in the 11's when I barely creeping across the intersection.

I downshifted into 3rd and it seemed to fix it right away(jumped back to 14's)...the revs went up and I put it back into drive and was on my way. This is exactly what happened seconds before a huge power loss previously. So Im thinking my truck definitely needs a tune...which Im going to have done early november with Gadget

Anyways, I wanted to get rid of the pipe bomb because it was crazy loud. So right after I got it I made a deal with my buddy to swap it for his stock Y. And of course after 3 weeks the pipe bomb calmed down a bit and I also got used to it. It still smelled like gas though...like an old 60's stang.

So he comes over last night and we swap the Y's. I take his off and sure enough, it sounds like sand rolling around on the driver side cat...just like mine. His truck is bone stock. :motz:

I drove it this morning about 40 miles, no problems. Sounds COMPLETELY different than my stock Y did. It has almost zero rasp. Sounds very muffled. Almost like I have just a catback now.:stupid: I didnt give it a WOT run yet, but got it close to redline. Power seems the same I guess...its hard to tell.

Oh and my AFR at idle richened up...from high 14's-low 15....to low 14-13.9

So I think my original Y must've gotten fried somehow, because my new stock Y sounds very different. And Im certain I need a tune.

Yotaman

"Shortbus"
Reaction score
That sux that you're still having issues bro! :thumpdown:

Gadge will get it running, he's the top Toyota S/C Doctor in the country...:top:

Super Werty

Reaction score
That sux that you're still having issues bro! :thumpdown:

Gadge will get it running, he's the top Toyota S/C Doctor in the country...:top:

lol, Dr, Gadget

I wouldnt say its a bad issue right now. It only happened one time(for literally 2 seconds) in 3 weeks. And now I have no rasp. So once I get the tune everything should be perfect.

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
glad to hear you got rid of that rasp...I can't wait to see your truck werty once you get that beast tuned...:biggrin:

T0LLPHR33

"Catwoman"
Reaction score
He actually goes by inspector....lol
watch

denzel05

Reaction score
Wow! I totally forgot about that cartoon ^^^^^ :laugh:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
i take it you didnt like the pipe bomb becuase it was too loud, that might be right up m alley and its cheaper than the urd y-pipe:hmmmm2:

Venomous_X

Reaction score
I like a little loud, but remember kids, LOUD DOES NOT EQUAL FAST!!!!.....Not talking about you werty, but some people just assume that loud equals fast.... Glad you at least got rid of the rasp....

Super Werty

Reaction score
it was loud at first, but after 3 weeks it calmed down and was actually starting to sound good

i may do a urd y down the road for racing...but right now im good

ntinhri

Reaction score
good to hear.. make sure you dont hit any pot holes while your tuning your truck.. lol.. and make sure you scope out a place near you that you can get up into triple digets safely... gadget will remove you from the driver seat if you are a wuss... lol just ask ol huck..

5000XD

Reaction score
arent you afraid to mess up the cats in the stock y pipe before november?

TitanRattler813

Reaction score
... the saga continues :laugh:

Will, it seems as if you have bought almost every aftermarket performance part for the 1GR at one time or another.

Super Werty

Reaction score
... the saga continues :laugh:

Will, it seems as if you have bought almost every aftermarket performance part for the 1GR at one time or another.

I know, it sucks:laugh:

But ive learned my lesson, next car I buy and mod...im gonna wait and see what other people do first before I become the modding guinea pig

but this one was out of my hands, I cant help it if a cat decides to melt on me

hrspwr236

Reaction score
you took the fall for us so we can learn from you, someone has to be the brave one

Top Bottom