Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

You will never guess what...

Gadget

Reaction score
Just got another big shipment of superchargers in from Denmark.

In the shipment was this little tiny C8 unit:

null_zpsed1dc010.jpg

null_zpse63a4782.jpg

Sitting next to a C38 unit. The pulley on that little thing is 70mm so it is not much bigger than the 70mm pulley.

null_zpsc6f28b99.jpg

null_zps384c5293.jpg

You are not going to believe it, but it is going to one of my industrial accounts and will be installed on a very large Diesel engine, yep the kind you see driving down the road delivering freight!!!

G

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
It's not the psi that's important but more so the volume of air.....

trdtoy

Reaction score
150 psi

g

More details G...

How many stages of compressors and/or intercooling for 150psi? How many and what compressors used? What engine? Is that a pic of the baby unit attached to larger unit compressor? Hybrid unit? Details please.....

justin13703

Reaction score
More details G...

How many stages of compressors and/or intercooling for 150psi? How many and what compressors used? What engine? Is that a pic of the baby unit attached to larger unit compressor? Hybrid unit? Details please.....

I think he was just showing in that picture that the little one almost completely fit into the intake of the bigger one...

I'm gonna guess here, and I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that won't be used as a forced induction system for the motor but instead as some kind of circulation or air pump for some kind of system on the truck. Maybe used to fill the air tanks?

trdtoy

Reaction score
Can't really say exactly, but it could be going on something much like this:

http://cumminsengines.com/assets/pdf/4971192.pdf

It will be used to pump exhaust gas back into the engine as part of the cooled EGR system.

G

Exhaust gas cooled before the rotrex, after, or both? How is it cooled? What kind of temps can these things take? The exhaust gas pressure at rotrex inlet high enough that rotrex can get it to 150psi/10 bar or multiple units in series used to compound exhaust gas to 150psi/10 bar? Or maybe the question should be what is being compounded to 150psi? This going on the big 15 liter or smaller motors? More details G...

Phil Dammit

Reaction score
There is a lot of activity using Rotrex units to pump exhaust on large Diesel engines. I am working with several companies that are doing the same thing.

What you described sounds like the super turbo system. Kind of neat. They are going to be installed on Marine assault crafts to keep the big Diesel smoke plume down so they can be more sneaky assaulting the beach. With just a big turbo you get a lot of smoke until the turbo spools. The super turbo helps solve that problem and also recovers energy to go back into the drive line.

http://www.vandynesuperturbo.com/

Just like the fact that its called a SUPERTURBO

krisxrunner

Reaction score
I work on boats and on our systems it's similar to that we have the exhaust off the turbo routed into a turbine that pushes the exhaust into a cooler of some sort like a radiator then some goes back into the engine and some releases into the atmosphere that's how it was explained to me from a Texas diesel mechanic I may be wrong but it cuts down on a lot of the smoke coming from the engine we then again have 2 1000hp cummins engines.

EDIT: I went and looked at it and its got a valve that let's some of into the boost hose that goes into the engine it's actually pretty cool but with all the build up the cooler has to be replaced but apparently it's another government tax write off that they pay for after about 3000 hours it has to be replaced and we send it off to get it cleaned.

Top Bottom