Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

3" Blocks + Bags + No Notch = Sane?

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
I've got 3" blocks on order from Beefed Taco and although I intended to have my frame notched on my new 2013 Tacoma (regular cab... not an X-Runner :smile:), I'm having a hard time finding someone to do the work. Seems that customizing shops don't want to touch a brand new vehicle. I'm looking to have a custom, weld-in notch as the bolt-in DJM notch scares me.

I'm wondering if I had 3 inch blocks, removed the factory bump-stop brackets, and installed air bags (like this), would I be able to survive driving down the crummy Wisconsin roads w/o a notch and minimal air in the bags?

I know that many of you use the QA1 rear shocks instead of bags, but I don't really like the idea of using shocks to do what the springs are supposed to do. That, and I might want to haul heavy things every once in a great while, so I'm considering doing the air bags anyway... just wondering if I can skip the notch. :hmmmm2:

******** EDIT **********

Hmm... probably answering my own question after reading this post:

I have 1.5 inch blocks in the rear. You can see in the last picture that my lopro bump stop is still hitting my axle and leaving a mark. Not sure how you guys do it with 2" and lower blocks with out bottoming all the time or notching the frame?

:disappointed:

If any of you know of an experienced welder in Wisconsin that would like to do a notch on a new truck...

Last edited:

SPEED808

Reaction score
my frame is notched but still hauling heavy loads is a problem, regular cab too, hoping somone has helper bags installed with a notch and sway bar like i have. must find info!!!

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
I drove Jeremias'(sp?) truck that ran that setup minus the helper bags and it was perfectly fine.... Give it a shot and see your going to need to remove the bump stops anyway.... So pull em off run the block see how she goes and of you don't like it notch it.

Just remember to put some kind of bump stop on the frame....

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
i'm thinking about doing the same thing man! gonna get the new coilovers from XII and i don't think the 2" blocks are gonna be quite low enough to match the front ride height. i'm gonna try 3" blocks without the notch and probably get some qa1's or another stiffer shock if theres any decent cheaper options and if i bottom out i have a friend who might weld in a custom notch for me. drop leafs are way to expensive!!

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
I decided to go the route of a custom notch and 4" StreeTaco.com blocks, with the intention of putting in air bags for load capacity. My truck is in the shop right now getting the notch. Seems like the only people who can get away with 3" blocks and no notch are people who live in parts of the world that are sunny all the time and the streets are lined with gold :laugh:

Top Bottom