Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

76mm throttle body question ?

XTINCT_yota

Reaction score
The CEL will keep going on and off for a few days. Funny part is, I noticed that the RPM's does jump, but now that I got headers and rear O2 sims, it works just like it did without the bigger throttle body.

Saltnpeppe11

Reaction score
Does anyone have an AFE stage 2 intake with this mod... If so do you need a different silicone coupler for the throttle body side of the pipe? And if so what size one would need to get?

Can XR

Reaction score
Does anyone have an AFE stage 2 intake with this mod... If so do you need a different silicone coupler for the throttle body side of the pipe? And if so what size one would need to get?

I stretched the one that came with the AFE. Its all i got right now but don't know how long it will last

LifeAlert

Reaction score

can I make the assumption that the Volant system isn't that much different in size compared to the AFE stage two system gadget?

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Some of the Volant CAI's have a huge intake tube prior to the silicone coupling for the TB. Very strange looking transition, instead of a gradual transition.

LifeAlert

Reaction score
If I remember correctly, on mine it was almost a straight coupling, no reducer, to the TB from the intake tube.

When I go out to lunch I'll have to take a look at it.

Reaction score
Some of the Volant CAI's have a huge intake tube prior to the silicone coupling for the TB. Very strange looking transition, instead of a gradual transition.

My Airaid is like that. The area around the MAF is no larger internally than OEM. After that it expands to the size of the tube and then it gets reduced down to the throttle body at the coupling.

LifeAlert

Reaction score
I emailed Volant asking about the diameter, they say its a 3in OD. So if its a 3in od on the 76mm throttle body, it would just need a 3-3inch ID coupling

Gadget

Reaction score
If you are installing the 76mm you will need a 3-3.5" straight adapter.

G

XeddeX

Reaction score
Listen to Gadget. You'll need a 3" to 3.5" straight hose. 76mm is 2.99 inches which is the ID of the throttle body. Thus you'll need the 3.5" silicon hose to fit on the OD of the throttle body.

Saltnpeppe11

Reaction score
Has anyone encountered a P0505 Idle Air Control System CEL after doing this swap? checked all connections no leaks to be found not sure if it may be a faulty TB or just part of the relearn process with the manual truck?

Ridefoxone

Reaction score
I haven't experienced that. Maybe recheck the connector connection to certify it's making good clean contact

Can XR

Reaction score
Has anyone encountered a P0505 Idle Air Control System CEL after doing this swap? checked all connections no leaks to be found not sure if it may be a faulty TB or just part of the relearn process with the manual truck?

Wasn't sure what the numbers were on the code that I had but I was told it was a lean code. I put silacone on the adapter plate and haven't had any issues. There should not be any codes if everything is sealed and connected.

XTINCT_yota

Reaction score
What gain does the throttle body give anyway?
The adapter bottle necks down to the original size.

hiflyer

Reaction score
I had the 76 installed. Got random deal gas pedal problems. Even sent my ucon in

Swapped back to stock and no problems :)

Was a used throttle body. YMMV

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
What gain does the throttle body give anyway?
The adapter bottle necks down to the original size.

It actually tapers down to a larger I.D. than the original TB. It matches the I.D. of the upper plenum's inlet. The Dual VVT-I 1GR TB is port matched to it, but also requires an adapter due to bolt pattern differences.

Top Bottom