Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

A pictoral through a Canuck mod day....

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Well local member slywitty was having too much fun after he URD boosted his truck and it led to a heavy foot and ended up burning through his CC stage3 clutch in under 60k km(37,500miles)..

So he ordered a URD 3+ clutch and TOB. Originally planned to tackle the swap early December but had trouble linking up and organizing the swap. Then the cold snap hit or the 'polar vortex' as they are calling it. It got freaking cold so we put it off but slywitty understandably needed his ride so we picked a day he booked it off arranged with my coworker to use his garage on the back of his property and here's what went down..:canada::canada:

temps were just perfect for wrenching..:thumbdown:

here's slywitty and my buddy who donated the workspace and became the garage help...

this is all we had for heat in the garage... did alright, the concrete was still dang cold tho....(it was fired up in the bed to melt some of the snow in the box then moved to the floor)

good ol' Canadian loc-tite meant the y-pipe bolts needed to be cut off...

zipping off the flywheel

drum rolll please..... the damage...

old with the new....

resurfaced fly with some fancy hardware

making sure them surfaces are perfectly cleeeaaann....

while the Y was out we welded in a bung into the collector for his afr gauge :top:

of course in true white north fashion the sky was puking white as we wrapped up....

pulled outside under power:blurock:

we had a few blunders with the install....one was that the URD pressure plate wouldn't fit over the studs on the fly.... at first we were just gonna give it a love tap with mallet but it ended up in blood....

after that we decided to do it the right way and sanded out the paint from the dowel holes on the pressure plate and we were good to go...

second issue we had was on the tsk... the sleeve wouldn't fit over the factory sleeve on the trans, BUT if we put it on backwards(flange towards the input shaft) it fit fine...:hmmmm2: a little sanding and it fit on got onto its new home...

third lil oops was kinda funny... slywitty had to hit the wizzer so while he was gone I crawled under and continued to wrench away.. when he came back we were all hey while your up there why don't ya toss in the MT-90? both of us thought it was a good idea, the oil was cold as it went in so sly made the comment how it was coming out real slow... next thing I know I all of a sudden get real cold, thought he left a door open... then I look down to see two quarts of MT-90 all over my coveralls... D-OHHH!!! we hadn't put in the driveshaft yet.... (it was getting late) so after the oil soaking through all my clothes now being wet in the negative temps it got us focused real quick:laugh:

all in all it was dang cold but a fun time over all..... after Sly and I both doing motor swaps we are getting to be quite efficient dropping the AY6 trans... well kinda haha looking forward to more mod days that aren't in the snow:canada:

xrgilly

Reaction score
i can't wait for my father inlaw to get his new heated shop built

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
oh yeah man! heated workshop and hoist are on my wishlist when we go house hunting.... sadly they are long down the priority list and budget :motz:

Gadget

Reaction score
Well done!!!

I hate cold wrenching.

G

Last edited:

hrspwr236

Reaction score
Congrats on getting things done in sub standard conditions but after its all don I bets it's worth it!

Slywhitty

"Midget Magnet"
Reaction score
Congrats on getting things done in sub standard conditions but after its all don I bets it's worth it!

Was well worth the blood and freezing temps. New clutch feels amazing I can actually drive normal again. I hadnt even hit boost in months. Feels so good now! Just over 500 km (300 miles) on it so it's almost broke in. Once it is broke in hottacox, myself and possibly a couple others will be going to the dyno! (Gf paid for dyno pulls for me for Xmas! Best present ever lol) I can't wait! Thumb is mostly healed up now that damn mallet really bites when your hand is froze lol!

Thanks again Cory for the help we will def wait till it's warmer for the next mod day!!

Tunedx

Reaction score
-20 wrenching weather is crazy. Glad u guys gotta her all button up.....

Miami_X

Reaction score
Nice wrenching, sly. Whitebeauty and I will be putting an oil cooler in my X this Sunday and we'll be faced with a similar weather obstacle - the temperature MIGHT dip below 70 F!! Brrrrrrrrr!!

justin13703

Reaction score
Good work guys I bet it drives a hell of a lot better now lol that old clutch was beat

As far as the garage, pick yourself up a nice salamander heater and you'll have a heated garage wherever you go. I got mine on sale for like 200 and I have a completely uninsulated 20ft by 40ft garage and I was out there in this "polar vortex" working in a t shirt. If you burn kerosene in it the fumes will stay under control.

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
Nice wrenching, sly. Whitebeauty and I will be putting an oil cooler in my X this Sunday and we'll be faced with a similar weather obstacle - the temperature MIGHT dip below 70 F!! Brrrrrrrrr!!

Lol.... Wow that looked like lots o fun.... How long did it take?

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks boys, honestly it's days like these that help make the forum what it is! It was a good time, turns out a motor swap is a 7 case of beer job while a clutch is a mere 2 1/2 lol.

Mark in total it was maybe 7 hours, we actually spread it out over two days in order to have the fly resurfaced. Not to mention I wouldn't grab a wrench until the heater was pumping for a bit...

Anytime Bill! Looking forward to that dyno day, interested to see what we each put down, hopefully a few others join us to compare mod gains!!

Top Bottom