Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Absolutely install cam gears with X-1

Gadget

Reaction score
I keep getting calls all the time asking "do I have to install the cam gears with the X-1?"

ABSOLUTELY you do.

If you do not install the cam gears the calibration files in the X-1 will be way to aggressive and you will should expect a significant amount of spark knock if you do not.

I know of two catastrophic engine failures now from people running superchargers with the correct calibration files and not installing the cam gears.

One guy made it about 15 minutes before he knocked a couple of rods through the block with a TRD system without the cam gears.

I got a report yesterday about a guy that bought a truck used with a URD system on it and had bad knocking with it and kept driving it until the engine failed. Yesterday we verified the previous owner did not install the cam gears. I overnighted a set to him to be installed in his replacement engine.

Every X-1 shipped from URD has a sticker on the X-1 box stating not to install the X-1 until after the cam gears are installed.

The cam gear installation is not optional. All the components of the X-1 kit are designed to work together as a complete package. Anything worth doing is worth doing right.

G

SpaceMonkey

Reaction score
Damn what are people thinking. It's a complete kit like gadget stated.

5000XD

Reaction score
Before getting such a package read so you know what you are getting yourself into.

ProRacerNorm

Reaction score
Definitely worth it...I did it yesterday and after a long day and some over the phone help from Gadget it feels great. They are definitely worth the effort, just get it right one the right chain.

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
STICKY this. that question also comes up on the forums quite a bit.

Xacto

Reaction score
seriously, listen to the G man. The gears are slightly different than the stockers ergo PUT THE CAM GEARS ON OR ELSE!

shaX 07

Reaction score
Not sure why anyone would not do the cam gears, but I guess it was bound to happen at some point..

KETCHUP

Reaction score
why would they not install them. is there a reason? Total package.....hello.

thanks for gettin that info out to the slow people G-monster!

ntinhri

Reaction score
Some people don't mind plug n play. But as we all know cam gears aren't the eaiiest. I'm sure the folks who didn't want to install them didn't have the tools, had never been under a valve cover, or they paid someone to install x-1 and it was cheaper with out gears installed.

KETCHUP

Reaction score
Some people don't mind plug n play. But as we all know cam gears aren't the eaiiest. I'm sure the folks who didn't want to install them didn't have the tools, had never been under a valve cover, or they paid someone to install x-1 and it was cheaper with out gears installed.

that sounds about right actually. can't be scared when moddin. tear that baby apart. If you mess something up, that is part of the learning process....:biggrin:

blackx-runner

"White Flash"
Reaction score
that sounds about right actually. can't be scared when moddin. tear that baby apart. If you mess something up, that is part of the learning process....:biggrin:

thats right. Don't be afraid to rip right in there. If you're gonna mod, learn to do it yourself. Its a lot of help when you need to diagnose some issues. You know what has been messed with so you can unmess with it LOL.

akakrill

Reaction score
Follow instructions PEOPLE! Although visually comparing the stock and kit gears they look identical...they are not.

1GRracer

"Pete"
Reaction score
Heres the process. drain the coolant, take off the cam covers, replace factory cam gears with the APR cam gears, put cam covers on, take off factory thermostat, replace with APR thermostat, refill coolant. THE LAST STEP is to put the APR ecu on. hopefully people will read the pdfs on the apr site if your not gonna put the cam gears on with the rest than you are wasting your money and hurting yourself and your truck.

sparkys tacoma

Reaction score
Easiest to do with a trd Install. I have heard of a few doing the cam gears than the x1. Later and they said the cam gears alone added significant power. So shoot the x is only a small part of initial.power.

Top Bottom