Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Advice: Wireless Surround Sound System?

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Like the title says...I'm looking to get a wireless surround sound system (at least 5.1) for our new house, and I would like it to also have a Blu Ray player.

Anyone have any kind of input/advice on what they have/had or heard about in terms of what's good and what's a waste of money.

I have a few G's, but I'm saving that for home decor items (yea suck it, my girl wants to decorate:eviltongue:)...anyways, I'm trying to stay around $500 or LESS.

My TV that is going to go with this system is a 47" Vizio 1080P LCD (it's only about 7 months old)...

**To clarify --- I'm looking for a standard 5.1-7.1 surround sound system with wireless rear speakers**

Input?

EDIT: Also, I want to add (and I may make a new thread for this), but if anyone has a system they would like to trade for a HD Projector, let me know and we can work something out...because as of right now, I'm not going to have a "man cave" in the new place (at least not right off the bat anyways).

Last edited:

Gadget

Reaction score
Just tell her that she is the decoration and get your system!!

G

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest, I wouldn't buy a wireless surround sound system. A cousin of mine is a electronic buff, and I also have a cousin who works a hug electronic store, they both don't advise getting them. They do pick up other signals in the are. Even your cell phone will interfere with it. If you can deal with interruptions every once in a while, then go for it. I'd rather deal with wires then have my audio randomly cut out. My cousin who owned the wireless 5.1 surround system, ended up selling it a month later. He bought a Sony system which is way better.

Now if you're planning on getting it no matter what, get a Samsung wireless system. They seem to be the best compared to generic brands and the Panasonics.

Again, this is just from personal experience.

Super Werty

Reaction score
How does the wireless system work? do the speakers have batteries in them?

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score

Yeah, the speakers are individually powered. Or sometimes they have power chords connected to the the two rears and same for the front.

X-roller

Reaction score

No they don't. They aren't even completely wireless...... What makes it "wireless" is the fact that there is a receiver that connects the rear and front speakers. The entire system is not wireless it is just so you don't have to run wires to the back..... I installed my sisters "wireless" system this past christmas. The speakers are wired to the rear receiver and the rear receiver must be connected to an outlet. The sound is actually pretty nice though i'm not gonna lie. It sounds just as good as any other surround sound. It only saves you the hassle of having to run wires to the back. Otherwise it's not much of a wireless system. :top: hope this helps.

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
No they don't. They aren't even completely wireless...... What makes it "wireless" is the fact that there is a receiver that connects the rear and front speakers. The entire system is not wireless it is just so you don't have to run wires to the back..... I installed my sisters "wireless" system this past christmas. The speakers are wired to the rear receiver and the rear receiver must be connected to an outlet. The sound is actually pretty nice though i'm not gonna lie. It sounds just as good as any other surround sound. It only saves you the hassle of having to run wires to the back. Otherwise it's not much of a wireless system. :top: hope this helps.

I guess you had a different system. The system we dealt with, the speakers were self powered and were wireless. The receiver sent the specific audio channel to the corresponding speaker.

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
don't have any advice on the wireless system, but I'm gonna keep checking this thread.... (my theatre room is being finished this fall)..... but i do have a question for ya David... what kind of HD projector did you get??? and how is it for quality? Price? how big of a screen can you use it on b4 it starts to look shitty? ya know, the usual questions..... I really want to get a projector system instead of a TV. I got the fatty bigscreen TV upstairs, but want to do the "movie theater" down stairs......

Super Werty

Reaction score
hmmm

doesnt sound worth it to me either way. I'd rather run the wires myself

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
hmmm

doesnt sound worth it to me either way. I'd rather run the wires myself

Yup! That's exactly what I did. I added floor molding in my place, and I ran the speaker wires behind that. Works fine for me.

2006nightrider

Reaction score
Thanks Brian, but I'd have to look at those speakers in more detail. I'm planning on mounting the 2 front speakers on the wall on each side of the TV (the TV will be wall mounted as well), and I'm not sure if the base of those speakers comes off:dontknow:
Just tell her that she is the decoration and get your system!!

G
LOL!!!
I guess you had a different system. The system we dealt with, the speakers were self powered and were wireless. The receiver sent the specific audio channel to the corresponding speaker.
The kind I'm looking for is the type where the rear speakers are plugged into the outlet (I don't want to worry about replacing batteries), and they have an infrared sensor that receives the signal from the front.
don't have any advice on the wireless system, but I'm gonna keep checking this thread.... (my theatre room is being finished this fall)..... but i do have a question for ya David... what kind of HD projector did you get??? and how is it for quality? Price? how big of a screen can you use it on b4 it starts to look shitty? ya know, the usual questions..... I really want to get a projector system instead of a TV. I got the fatty bigscreen TV upstairs, but want to do the "movie theater" down stairs......
Not really sure exactly what brand, but I can check when I get home. I bought it off eBay for $400. It's 1080i (not P), with numerous inputs including HDMI. My screen right now is about 96" diagonal. Klint, Geoff and a few others have seen it in person...maybe then can chime in and give their input on the picture quality. I personally think it looks damn good for being a $400 projector.

Yup! That's exactly what I did. I added floor molding in my place, and I ran the speaker wires behind that. Works fine for me.
That's not a bad idea, and I would really consider doing it that way, but the fact that this house is new and already has base boards and trim already on there makes it harder; considering I'll have to take them off, then put them back (I'm too lazy for that mess:laugh:)

Helimx

"Dutch Rudder Master"
Reaction score
david, you don't have to remove the base boards if you have carpet, just stuff the wires under there... unless you have hardwood floors, then the moulding probably won't have any gap under it.......

2006nightrider

Reaction score
david, you don't have to remove the base boards if you have carpet, just stuff the wires under there... unless you have hardwood floors, then the moulding probably won't have any gap under it.......
Yea, I have hardwood floors...Here's a pic of the front of the living room, and behind the couch (bottom right of the pic), there is another 5ft of space behind it before you reach the wall...which is why I was asking about rear wireless speakers so the wires aren't running across the 'walking path' behind the couch.

l2c7e9042-c1o.jpg

2006nightrider

Reaction score
^^Very nice:top:

Last night I ended up buying the LG LHB535 Home Theater System. It's 1100W (total), Blu-Ray Player, 2 HDMI inputs, 1 HDMI output, iPod/iPhone dock, wireless connectivity (including Netflix movie streaming, YouTube, etc...), and some other features.

Newegg had it for $439.00, and Walmart had it listed online for $437.00; so I went with Walmart because it was 2 bucks cheaper:laugh:. I did the Site-to-Store delivery (free), so I'll pick it up later this week once they tell me it arrived.

Here's a default pic of the system->

lg_lhb535-400-400.jpg

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
just fish the wires... you will be happier

is the house on a crawl? if so, its not all that hard.

I can lend a hand if you need help

I have 5.1 in my living room and all of the wires are either in athe wall or under the house

Justin

2006nightrider

Reaction score
just fish the wires... you will be happier

is the house on a crawl? if so, its not all that hard.

I can lend a hand if you need help

I have 5.1 in my living room and all of the wires are either in athe wall or under the house

Justin
Fish the wires?

No, we have a basement.

Well all the wires for the tv and front speakers are through the wall, the previous owners had everything professionally done. I wans't trying to tear up any trim/base boards just to run wires to the rear. The floors are gorgeous and the paint is perfect...so I really don't want to screw something up and damage anything.

My68ur8trd

Reaction score
Fish the wires?

No, we have a basement.

Well all the wires for the tv and front speakers are through the wall, the previous owners had everything professionally done. I wans't trying to tear up any trim/base boards just to run wires to the rear. The floors are gorgeous and the paint is perfect...so I really don't want to screw something up and damage anything.

so your scared :rolleyez:

is the basement finsihed?

fishing wires would be using a fish tape to pull the wires through the wall

Justin

2006nightrider

Reaction score
so your scared :rolleyez:

is the basement finsihed?

fishing wires would be using a fish tape to pull the wires through the wall
Basically:laugh:

And no, the basement is not finished yet...just framed and insulated.

Top Bottom