Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Any one using Roadmaster Active Suspension?

lovemym

Reaction score
I was just wondering if any one had Roadmaster Active Suspension on an X? I had it on my previous F-150 and loved it to death. It made it ride better, handle better, stops axle wrap, wheel hop and kept it from sagging with heavy loads. Im thinking of getting rid of my air bags and putting this in its place. My air bags are mounted in my notch and its just too bouncy, plus im thinking about going DJM and they are taking up to much suspension travel.

Last edited:

lovemym

Reaction score
They have been around for a long time, I used to even work for them. I loved it on my 97 F-150, I put it on it when it was brand new. Guess they still are not doing a great job at advertising lol.

CBRBob

Reaction score
Is this the adjustable half leaf? I had them on my ranger for a while. It was ok, but by no means whatsoever 'active' suspension.

lovemym

Reaction score
Well I went by to talk to them yesterday, and they are a little afraid of it hitting the sway bar endlink where that bolt sticks out over the spring. They offered to do a trial fit, but I think Im going to hold off for a little while, to save up some more money after christmas. This would be my third kit and I loved it on my other trucks, it really does do whats advertised, and I like the set it and forget it approach. I may be able to get them to give me a special deal if enough of you are interested.

rasprdctart.jpg

Last edited:

roy365

Reaction score
Been nice if you had time to get the trial fit done. A lot of people that tow often like them I have heard. Must be a Ford thing.......all the people I know have Fords that use them. LOL.

lovemym

Reaction score
I just sent them an email, to see what they may do. How many people are interested?

Last edited:

roy365

Reaction score
I'd like to see how they compare to the other suspension related items that is on etrailer's website. You have the Timbren rubber mounts, air bags, and the Super springs kit which is like the roadmaster kit i think.

SPEED808

Reaction score
Anybody ever fit these on their x? Been wanting to throw these on but hoping my 4 inch drop and sway bar aren't gonna be an issue.

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
My truck is a 2013 base model Tacoma with the X-Runner shocks, and I'm having fitment issues with the RoadMaster system. The brackets want to rub on the driver's side shock. I'm debating on whether or not I should just grind away part of the bracket or send the kit back. I've heard only good things about this kit, but that doesn't matter if I destroy my shocks! :rolleyez:

The bracket is rubbing on the shock just below the red stripe.

9210695193_9743712ce4_b.jpg

9210696471_a91916c357_b.jpg

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Some good news (for me, anyway)...

I contacted RoadMaster support for my rubbing issue. They're going to swap my current end brackets with the older, "Gen 2" brackets that won't have any rubbing issue. The "kit" that includes the older bracket is part #1350 and looks like this:

2nd-generation-kit450.png

I'll have to pay shipping, but that's about it. If you decide to order the kit and have the same rubbing issue that I do, you should contact "Nolan" at RoadMaster at either nolan@activesuspension.com or 800-398-5036.

As I have no swaybar, I can't say if this kit will interfere with the end link.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Was the kit rubbing due to the drop spacer? Even though it shouldn't.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
how much did the kit cost? i just put 3" blocks in. haven't drove the truck yet cause i'm still doing the drop coils this weekend but if i have problems bottoming out i might look into this if its cheaper than getting qa1's

Blitzkrieg

Reaction score
Was the kit rubbing due to the drop spacer? Even though it shouldn't.
By "drop spacers", do you mean blocks? I don't think they played a role in the rubbing issue. They might've prevented the ability to move the bottom bracket just a little further farther forward, thus avoiding the rubbing issue, but it's hard to tell if the axle or something else might've prevented that as well even if the blocks weren't there.
how much did the kit cost? i just put 3" blocks in. haven't drove the truck yet cause i'm still doing the drop coils this weekend but if i have problems bottoming out i might look into this if its cheaper than getting qa1's
Although I know QA1's are the commonly accepted *solution* for bottoming-out among Tacoma owners, it's like using a screw driver as a hammer. Sure, it might work, but it's not a good idea and isn't using the tools what they were intended for.

If you're concerned about performance at all, you should be concerned about your vehicle's ability to keep the tires in contact with the road. Shocks and springs in combination attempt to do that. If you by shocks and then remove their ability to actually absorb shock and control the springs (i.e., dial-up the QA1's until they're stiff as a rock), then you've just created one problem to solve another. Sure, your truck might not bottom-out, but your suspension is going to be extremely harsh and your tires will "bounce" over bumps instead of absorb them because you took all the "absorption" away!

The Roadmaster kit is more expensive than the QA1's, but TacomaWorld member jmarquez808 has QA1's and the Roadmaster kit and he's been able to dial-down his QA1's to sane levels as a result. (Click here to read about his settings.) I'm guessing that if he had purchased the Roadmaster kit first, he wouldn't have needed the QA1's.

Don't get me wrong, QA1's are quality shocks, but they're shocks and should be used as such.

TommyXrunner

Reaction score
ya i looked it up and watched the videos on it and everything and it really looks like a solid product! i'm very tempted but i don't wanna drop $400 on them quite yet. gonna test drive the truck before i make up my mind depending on how bad the ride is

Top Bottom