Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

ARP Wheel Studs, Tacoma

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
First post edited for ease of finding info. 2005 - 2015 Tacoma ARP wheel studs.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/viewcatalog.shtml Go to page 76.

Shows the specs between the Celica GTS, the EVO VIII studs, and Lexus IS300

The Evo studs are about .7" longer and have about .1" less knurl length. They are $20 cheaper than the Celica style.

The Lexus studs are just a tad longer @ .3" than the Celica ones, while also having a .010" smaller knurl diameter than the Celica and Evo. They are the cheapest @ $31.

Comparison between the 3 at Summit Racing

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Here is also a link pertaining to a problem with the DORMAN studs. Might be a one off case, might not? Reason for the link is to show that the knurl diameter is just to big. Clearly the Celica knurl diameter works, thanks to sdxrunner. Which means the EVO will work the exact same. Just be sure not to get a stud that has a larger knurl diameter than the Celica/Evo. :top:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wheels-tires/225363-dorman-studs-wheel-stud-install-sizing-not-happy-dorman.html

Last edited:

Grumpy

Reaction score
When I was shopping for wheel stud on ARP, Mitsubishi EVO is the one I need. Our stock stud length is 2.25 :top:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
He is looking for a lil longer then stock length.

Exactly. What Grumpy is saying is that ours are 2.25". That is what I needed to know because the EVO studs are 3.00", from the ARP catalog.

808XR10

Reaction score
Dorman makes studs for our trucks. Toyota matrix studs are slightly longer than ours. This is what somebody in here told me ill letter you guys updated once I replace my rear studs.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Dorman makes studs for our trucks. Toyota matrix studs are slightly longer than ours. This is what somebody in here told me ill letter you guys updated once I replace my rear studs.

Awesome bro. Take some side to side pics as well if you can. I really need to replace mine with longer ones.

SX TOY

Reaction score
the link that x20runner05 posted has arp and dorman p/n for expensive and cheaper version of studs for our trucks that are 1/2 " longer. long enough to get more bite but not so long you have to completely disassemble everything to get them in.
ARP 100-7718 wheel studs:

Type: Serrated Stud
Thread: 12mm x 1.5 RH
Knurl Dia: 0.565inch (14.35mm)
Length: 2.34inch (59.44mm)
Shoulder Length: n/a
Head Code: n/a
Brand: ARP - Set of 5 is ~ $51.00 (significantly more than the longer ARP studs)
So, it appears that these will work very well, but again, the price. To get a set of these ARP studs, you getting close to $300 bucks. I suppose if you are racing, then these may what you want. But, for a mostly street rig with some occasional trail use, they are not necessary.
So, in doing more research I found that a set of Dorman Wheel Studs from a 02-03 Toyota Corolla/Matrix would fit just right.
Dorman REAR wheel stud for 2002-03 Matrix, PN # 610-463:

Type: Serrated Stud
Thread: M12-1.5
Knurl Dia: 14.20mm (0.559inch)
Length: 55mm (2.165inch)
Shoulder Length: 26.60mm (1.05inch)
Head Code: n/a
Brand: Dorman - AutoGrade - Bagged, ~ $3.30 at NAPA
NOTE: NAPA PN# is different, if you get them from NAPA, use PN# 641-4208
Take a close look at these numbers and compare them to the Tacoma numbers, everything is a match except for the length. They are about 1/2" longer, which is exactly what I need to compensate for the thicker centers on my aftermarket wheels. So, I found the only place in town that could get their hands on them and ordered them up. For 24 of these, I paid about $76 bucks.

also the post already has side to side pics.

Last edited:

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
That is top notch info. Thank you very much.

Gadget

Reaction score
What are you doing that you need longer studs for??

G

Grumpy

Reaction score
where did you get this info from man? just wanna know

Short answer: Did my own leg work to find answer as I couldn't find any info at the time.

Long answer: With electronic vernier caliper in hand, I went to local Toyota parts department. Ask nicely to see our stock wheel studs, take measurement as per APR dimension. Measure another wheel stud just to be sure. Went home, pull up ARP online catalog, cross reference the part for my application. Viola! EVO stud is the one I need.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Thread moved to wheels and tires.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
I actually just did this last night, as one more desperate attempt at tracking down some noises from the ass end of my truck.

The research I did on im varios other websites, pirate 4x4, CT and TW showed that our stock length is shorter then the number that Grumpy came up with.

I went with the Celica wheel studs and here are the results.
2012-08-24182004.jpg

This is their actual measured length.

Here is them next to a stock stud for our truck.

2012-08-24170521.jpg

One interesting point I wanna make is that because my truck unique ability of being able to remove the entire drum brake assy., I actually have tons of room to insert them. I had to disassemble the disk brake bracket to make enough room.

For all the other trucks out there with OEM brakes, your gonna need a to drill a hole in the drum backing plate to get the studs in.....I can't confirm it 100%, but all I know is clearances would be very tight...

Here is them in, not pressed in just inserted.

2012-08-24173953.jpg

Another thing I noted is that I went ahead and removed this drum dust shield thing that is held in place by the studs being pressed in. That with its gasket being gone, also insurded that the studs are mating DIRECTLY to the hub and not to a flimsy peice of metal.

And here it is, with them in fully and the wheel mounted+torqued.

2012-08-24180353.jpg

DO NOTE: I only did the rears at this time. #1 reason is have 1" bolt on wheel spacers up front and I have no idea how or what size to get to make that work. Ill have to look up on h+r website to figure out what kind on stud to get.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
And the mysterious noise?

Everytime I work on/repair rear end, the sound goes away for about a day or two....then comes back.... this has been going on for a month....:rolleyez:

Didn't hear today....
So im betting on either tomorrow or Monday hearing the sound again....

Whitebeauty

Reaction score
So reffering back to your build thread. Kev u got the celica ones and grumpy got the EVO ones? R they the same length

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
So reffering back to your build thread. Kev u got the celica ones and grumpy got the EVO ones? R they the same length

Grumpy actually never went through with it....he picked the evo length, based off of untrue measurements he got from the dealership.

Yes, you can see in the picture of the package, the part# and application. They are the Celica studs.

Oh, and this seemed to have quelled the mysterious noise....its been over week, and has not come back....

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
Interesting because I have a pack of EVO studs.

http://www.arp-bolts.com/pages/viewcatalog.shtml Go to page 68.

Shows the specs between the Celica GTS, the EVO VIII studs, and Lexus IS300

The Evo studs are about .7" longer and have about .1" less knurl length. They are $20 cheaper than the Celica style.

The Lexus studs are just a tad longer @ .3" than the Celica ones, while also having a .010' smaller knurl diameter than the Celica and Evo. They are the cheapest @ $31.

Comparison between the 3 at Summit Racing

http://www.summitracing.com/compare.aspx

Here is also a link pertaining to a problem with the DORMAN studs. Might be a one off case, might not? Reason for the link is to show that the knurl diameter is just to big. Clearly the Celica knurl diameter works, thanks to sdxrunner. Which means the EVO will work the exact same. Just be sure not to get a stud that has a larger knurl diameter than the Celica/Evo. :top:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/wh...eel-stud-install-sizing-not-happy-dorman.html

Last edited:
Top Bottom