Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Backup Camera

Reaction score
I am finally going ahead and installing a backup camera with my INA-W900 head unit. I got the reverse wire hooked up without too much effort. I ordered the camera and I'm currently waiting for it to come in.

My question is what is the best way to get the video wire from outside into the cab? Is there a good spot to run it through? Then is there a good spot somewhere in the back to tap into for constant power? I know I could hook up to the reverse light but I would like to have it always on in case I want to switch to it while driving for any reason.

justin13703

Reaction score
I'm sure someone may know a better way than this, but there are usually grommets on the bottom of the cab that you could run the wire up through. You could run it up along the frame and right in one of those grommets. As for constant lines in the back of the truck, I don't know if there are any, but if nothing else you could grab power from your parking lights that way if you want to look at the camera you could turn them on and manually switch to the camera. Like I said someone who has done more work on the rear end may have better info lol.

redarkx

Reaction score
I pop through one of the grommets. Should be able to crawl up under the cab and find where they are. As for +12v. No idea man.

hottacoX

Staff member
Reaction score
There is a gromet under the drivers seat, if you pop off the side runners in the cab, they just pull off you will be able to feel for it under the carpet/see it from under the truck. This is where the factory wires run for the rear lights, as for a constant power source, only idea that comes to mind is the power outlet and you leave the button on all the time.... Otherwise I am installing a cam as well and was just going to draw power from the reverse lights. Don't care for a gymicky switch to turn it on at will...

justin13703

Reaction score
I dont think he wants to put a switch in or anything, thecaptain0220 correct me if Im wrong, but from what I gather what you want to do is have your radio automatically switch to the camera in reverse like normal, so you will be getting the reverse signal to your radio to do that, but in the back of the truck you want to have some kind of constant power to the camera so it is always able to be viewed, weather in reverse or not. Will the radio you have allow you to manually view the rear view camera? If so it would probably be easiest to do what I thought, and tap into the parking lights. You dont want the camera to have constant power or it will kill your battery and probably isnt good for the camera.

Reaction score
I dont think he wants to put a switch in or anything, thecaptain0220 correct me if Im wrong, but from what I gather what you want to do is have your radio automatically switch to the camera in reverse like normal, so you will be getting the reverse signal to your radio to do that, but in the back of the truck you want to have some kind of constant power to the camera so it is always able to be viewed, weather in reverse or not. Will the radio you have allow you to manually view the rear view camera? If so it would probably be easiest to do what I thought, and tap into the parking lights. You dont want the camera to have constant power or it will kill your battery and probably isnt good for the camera.

Ya you're correct. I have the reverse wire connected so that it switches automatically. My head unit has a button you can hit to switch manually though so I figure it would be nice to allow it if necessary. I honestly have no idea why you would need to see behind you other than in reverse, but I figured if it was easy why not do it.

You are correct I definitely wouldn't want it to be on when the truck was off. Lights is decent option. I wonder if I could somehow tap into both the lights and the reverse lights. So the camera would always have power in reverse or if the lights were on. Best option would probably be a 12V outlet but I would have to run the power all the way to the front and connect it.

justin13703

Reaction score
Ya you're correct. I have the reverse wire connected so that it switches automatically. My head unit has a button you can hit to switch manually though so I figure it would be nice to allow it if necessary. I honestly have no idea why you would need to see behind you other than in reverse, but I figured if it was easy why not do it.

You are correct I definitely wouldn't want it to be on when the truck was off. Lights is decent option. I wonder if I could somehow tap into both the lights and the reverse lights. So the camera would always have power in reverse or if the lights were on. Best option would probably be a 12V outlet but I would have to run the power all the way to the front and connect it.

You could tap into both and it shouldn't hurt anything.

Top Bottom