Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

BBK Rotor Scoring/Lip

Reaction score
The pads on my BBK are in need of replacement and when I went to pull the calipers off I noticed there is a ~1/16" lip around the entire outer diameter of the rotor. I'm wondering if everyone is noticing the same thing or if I need to put a shim in between the caliper mounting bracket to make the top of the pad flush with the outer diameter of the rotor.

butters607

Reaction score
That is because the pads are biting below that lip what kind of rotor is it and if its not to bad then you can have the rotor turned

BlackCat

Reaction score
I've not noticed that issue on my BBK's, but I have seen that before on other vehicle brake rotors. I'd see if you can contact Stoptech.com tech support and ask them (they're the ones that make the TRD BBK).

Reaction score
It is the stock TRD BBK setup. So, the StopTech 332mmx32mm AeroRotor and AXXIS ultimate pads. The lip is pretty bad but I'm sure it can be machined. The dealership claims they can't turn the rotor because of vents in the rotor. I don't know whether they are full of crap or if it will actually break their tool. I guess I will have to find a machine shop that uses a milling machine to resurface it instead of a lathe.

black betty 07

Reaction score
What did you come up with in the end?I have a friend that is having this same issue.Can you give us some advise?

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
I had the same issue with mine. The lip was bad. Might want to check the pads too. My rotors were wearing unevenly, so I ended up changing pads and rotors. Do your online searching though. I found new pads on a BMW forum. Some guy sold them to me for $30. Then found new replacement rotors from a vendor in California. They were $210 a piece, and I got free shipping. If you go with StopTech, expect to pay a lot more.

Torspd

Staff member
Reaction score
It is the compound in some of the pads. When it gets to hot, it changes molecularly into a silicate compound that cuts the rotors. Carbotech makes replacement pads for just about all types of aftermarket BBKs. Their pad material does not do the afore mentioned. Stoptech also used them to make their pad material for a time.

SooRunner

Reaction score
My BBK is starting to shake my steering wheel a bit when I brake...didn't do that when I first installed it...just sayin'...sorry for the threadjack...

Now I gotta take a look at my rotors...:biggrin:

MORT-RUNNER

Reaction score
It is the compound in some of the pads. When it gets to hot, it changes molecularly into a silicate compound that cuts the rotors. Carbotech makes replacement pads for just about all types of aftermarket BBKs. Their pad material does not do the afore mentioned. Stoptech also used them to make their pad material for a time.

You're correct! That's why StopTech changed their pads. The pads that originally come with the TRD BBK kit were the old pads. They only replaced them with their newer pads about 3 or 4 years ago.

My BBK is starting to shake my steering wheel a bit when I brake...didn't do that when I first installed it...just sayin'...sorry for the threadjack...

Now I gotta take a look at my rotors...:biggrin:

Mine does the same as well. It started to go away after a while. Check the rotors, and there was no warping, and no lip. I assume I'm good.

Top Bottom