Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

blown diff

shane881510

Reaction score
Yea hurry up mail man. I have a bad diff and hoping u get this in quick and it works good. I hate one tire fire. And the 525$ trutrac is my last resort. And rele don't want to pay that much.

Nashman

Reaction score
well really to rebuild the diff is not much work barrings hardly go on toyota diff nsk barrings are rock solid most of the time most of the time you start to peg wheel because of the sloppy clearances and the black anty chatter coating they put on the plates

i remove that crap all the time

Last edited:

Nashman

Reaction score
Well I had a lazy weekend and did my fair share of research and found out about some stuff.... ya ya ya I know single life is hard some times lol

Any who Yokon gear makes or supplies a eaton clutch plate kit that works for our diff's this is pretty bad ass I find.

https://www.yukongear.com/ProductDetails.aspx?ProdID=4850

The best part is does not cost to much money and even comes with bolt stop clip's so you don't have to re use the old ones or just rely on red lock tight.

the kits about 200 bucks mixed with a 45 bucks spring kit from wier the oem diff would be just a work of art and take a shit kicking and not be loud at all tell ya chew a tooth off and the only fix for that is a ford 9 or what ever.

now the qestion should I buy it or just rock steel plates hummm :hmmmm2:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Very interesting. I just wonder how long that new clutch pack would last. Especially when you can get a diff like the true trac that never needs to be replaced or maitanenced.

Nashman

Reaction score
Well to answer your question about a helical diff they can wear out and when they do they break spider gears and casing because of shock load. where as a clutch pack does not.

torsen have a big weak fall on a solid axle because on rough pavement they can disengage because one tire can lift and cause the diff to go open and make an unpredictable corner were you can not trust the diff because of axle wrap. granted ture track are sweet because they mimic ackerman streeing but lift and shutter is a issues with our trucks most blamed on our leafs. granted you can fix this with a wrap bar or caltrac system

all in all i am not a fan of a ture track with leaf spring plus toyota would have done it in the first place if it was better.

A clutch pack is like a a locked rear end tell you over come the tension of of power given by said spring and clearance of the clutch pack springs it wil all ways be the same no matter what granted n a high life of a tire it will lessen but on rough roads it will be locked.

soooooooooooo

steel plate vs carbon kev steel plat can chatter and has to be set up tight so it will not chatter,were as carbon setup are set up not as tight because of the carbon plates and give better tire wear and still give the same bite but they wear out over time

i think i am done now feel free to pick me brain kinda had a few beer lol

Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
I would love to just spend $250 bucks and rebuild the diff I have rather than $550 and would rather have a better diff. I don't think I feel confident enough to rebuild the stock diff though. I'm sure if I could I would but I would rather someone who knows what they are doing do it. You'll have to let me know how it works for you. I am tired of one tire fires and miss my predicable diff. Wonder if I could find a good local shop to do the work for me at a reasonable price. If it will be better and cheaper than the true trac I would do it. I miss my sideways shenanigans too. It's gotten so bad I have to clutch kick to get it to lock and that's starting to not even work. I'm hard on things lol.

Nashman

Reaction score
I would love to just spend $250 bucks and rebuild the diff I have rather than $550 and would rather have a better diff. I don't think I feel confident enough to rebuild the stock diff though. I'm sure if I could I would but I would rather someone who knows what they are doing do it. You'll have to let me know how it works for you. I am tired of one tire fires and miss my predicable diff. Wonder if I could find a good local shop to do the work for me at a reasonable price. If it will be better and cheaper than the true trac I would do it. I miss my sideways shenanigans too. It's gotten so bad I have to clutch kick to get it to lock and that's starting to not even work. I'm hard on things lol.

Ya I could rebuild your's if you like ?

Nashman

Reaction score
well looks like I have some thing to do on the weekend

shane881510

Reaction score
Takes shit tons pics and do a write up on how to do this with pics showing step by and by step. We all are interrested in this cause our stock diffs suck and we can't afford 550$ on a new diff.

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Ya I could rebuild your's if you like ?

That would be awesome. Take lots and lots of pics and step by step if you can. I would love someone experienced to rebuild mine but I love learning new things. Any special tools needed here? Do I need to check the lash and things after?

Nashman

Reaction score
Not really just dial gauge and a caliper or micrometer is all ya need

x-runner kid

Reaction score
We'll post some step by step if you can with pics and I may be able to tackle it.

Nashman

Reaction score
Well it's in and dear lord it is so boring breaking in a new diff by drive around in figure 8 for 30 mins lol

and to top it off a drop of yukon limted slip additive hit me in the head so i had this horrid smell the hole time when breaking in the diff and I could not for life of me find the smell tell i got home this is is way worse then the ford sh-t

I choosed to sand blast the clutch packs and well it remind me some like my kazz diff in my supra for lock up

I Had to break in the diff in parkade since it was raining out and the diff shudders around corner in the wet and does not make peep in the dry far as I know of it's still not broken in so all have to drive on it abit longer and see if it gets smoother if not I will just buy the Eaton clutch pack wich was my back up plan any way if this diff was to aggressive

I did find i did not have enough shim to hit my 005 traget it right now at 012 with is way tighter then stock's 30 any way so I will contact wes about it and suggest to add more shims or send me more for whne i put the eaton pacs in if i choose too

and yes i took pics and can show you all how to rebuild the diff only issue is our diff is pretty much the older tundra diff so you have to use shimm to adjust the black lash on the ring and pion but if you do your installed depth right and your crush sleav has no failed you should be able to re use the shims.

any way I'm going to drift around the some corners now cheeers for now

Last edited:

x-runner kid

Reaction score
Sounds awesome keep us updated I'm sure I'm not the only one following this thread closely.

Nashman

Reaction score
Edit last post becuase I never prof read it any ways its dry out today so this will be a good test to the diff to see if axle wrap is an issue in the dry

shane881510

Reaction score
Post up the pics of ur install. And what in all did u do to ur diff. Just the spring and shim kit.

Doublld

Reaction score
i have a stock rear out of a 4x4 if anyone wants to buy it.

Top Bottom