Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

Bump Steer Kit Ideas...

Reaction score
That would help with riding grooves and maybe mask it a little, but not with turning and hitting bumps cuz the angle of the tie-rods are still so out of wack...

Sevenfold

Reaction score
Has there been any news with this?

Everyone is going crazy lowering their trucks but nothing has ever been done about the bumpsteer for 5 years!
This is a serious problem in my opinion, and one of the reason that I really don't like this truck!

The bumpsteer is horrible on a lowered X-Runner. If im cornering and hit a bump , it feels like I lose control of the truck almost. The steering goes completely numb! I thought the bumpsteer in my Honda S2000 was bad but that's nothing compared to the X-Runner.

The problem arises when you lower the truck and the angle of the tie rods changes compared to the knuckle.

Here is one solution that S2000 guys use
f-bskap12_2.jpg

This simply raises the angle of the tie rod in relation to the knuckle returning it close to stock. It allows the tie rod to sit higher.

And another solution that I used on my S2000
dsc_0380.jpg

What you need to look at here are the purple blocks.
How it works! Well, its mounted underneath your OEM steering rack mounting points. This allows the entire rack and pinion to sit higher by about 1.5in. It will raise the entire assembly including the tie rods and returns the angle closer to stock.

Now I don't have the means to develop anything like this. But the guys at Sittin Sic I would assume could make something like this for us. I would pay good money for something to fix the handling of this truck.

Here is how I see it, this truck rides like a donkey; but it doesn't have to! There is a lot of suspension stuff out there but no one has developed anything for this truck to accommodate a drop. And until someone does, this truck is always gonna drive like crap. Im not saying it handles bad because it handles great; but only when the road is perfect. As soon as the road gets bumpy, hang on because it feels like you have no control over where this truck is gonna go. In my opinion, its all because of the bumpsteer and tie rod angles after a drop.

SOMEONE PLEASE MAKE A BUMPSTEER KIT!!!!!!!!!!!! This truck doesn't have to drive like a donkey!

Last edited:

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
i too was wondering about this thread recently, with the addition of the DJM kit to my ride. my tie rods are at a nasty angle and would like to fix them before it becomes a major problem...

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
could having your tie rods at an angle other that stock potetially harm them/cause them to bend? it seems like they might bend but then again i guess they might not since it is relieving that pressure when you hit a bump through turning the dang steering wheel!

UPDATES PLEASE!!!

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
could having your tie rods at an angle other that stock potetially harm them/cause them to bend? it seems like they might bend but then again i guess they might not since it is relieving that pressure when you hit a bump through turning the dang steering wheel!

UPDATES PLEASE!!!

it could harm them...they bend at a joint...

Vince77

Reaction score
This is a good idea. I hope someone gets something going on this.

kelson

Reaction score
x2 and my dead struts out front don't help with the crazy bumpsteer...

Sevenfold

Reaction score
I think we just need to show someone that there is big demand for something like this. Im not sure how complicated something like this would be, but it seems like raising the power steering rack would be the easiest and simplist option.

It's just that there are so many companies developing drop kits for this truck but none of them have developed a fix for the horrible bumpsteer that these kits create.

Emanon

Reaction score
And another solution that I used on my S2000
dsc_0380.jpg

What you need to look at here are the purple blocks.
How it works! Well, its mounted underneath your OEM steering rack mounting points. This allows the entire rack and pinion to sit higher by about 1.5in. It will raise the entire assembly including the tie rods and returns the angle closer to stock.

hrm a milled plate of aluminum to raise the steering rack sounds like something NST would have the capability and tools to make.

I too would love a solution and anything that makes my truck handle better.

speckdzl4shzl

"Gym Junkie"
Reaction score
hrm a milled plate of aluminum to raise the steering rack sounds like something NST would have the capability and tools to make.

I too would love a solution and anything that makes my truck handle better.

only if it doesn't cost a 100 bucks for a piece of metal will i buy it.

Sevenfold

Reaction score
The T1R bumpsteer kit was about $150! I would pay that easily if it fixed the bumpsteer on this truck!

Emanon

Reaction score
Created a post in the NST forum, now to see what they say.

Another thing I was thinking is that if different tie rods ends help maybe QA1 makes a tie rod end that might work?

Edit: Coupe is another person that comes to mind with the skillset and network to get this made. Paging Coupe...

Sevenfold

Reaction score
Created a post in the NST forum, now to see what they say.

Another thing I was thinking is that if different tie rods ends help maybe QA1 makes a tie rod end that might work?

Edit: Coupe is another person that comes to mind with the skillset and network to get this made. Paging Coupe...

Different tie rod ends would def help as well. The outter tie rod would need to sit lower/higher, not sure how it's mounted on the knuckle but I would have to check.

The problem is, when you lower the car it forces the tie rod to come up in relation to the power steering rack. By adding a spacer below the power steering, like the T1R kit for the s2000, you raise the power steering up and return the angle to stock. It's all becasue of the pivots on the inner tie rods. WHen you lower the car the angle from the inner tie rod (pivot point) increases in relation to the knuckle. To return that angle to stock you either have to lower/raise the outter tie rod on the knuckle, or raise the power steering.

I say lower or raise the outter tie rod because im not sure how it mounts right now, on top of underneath the knukle.

Emanon

Reaction score
I had no idea that bump steer was the cause of how the truck handled when lower. Knowing what causes it and how to fix it I can only hope a fix is doable, easy and cheap as it is for cars like the S2000! :smile:

SE_XRUNNER

Reaction score
Different tie rod ends would def help as well. The outter tie rod would need to sit lower/higher, not sure how it's mounted on the knuckle but I would have to check.

The problem is, when you lower the car it forces the tie rod to come up in relation to the power steering rack. By adding a spacer below the power steering, like the T1R kit for the s2000, you raise the power steering up and return the angle to stock. It's all becasue of the pivots on the inner tie rods. WHen you lower the car the angle from the inner tie rod (pivot point) increases in relation to the knuckle. To return that angle to stock you either have to lower/raise the outter tie rod on the knuckle, or raise the power steering.

I say lower or raise the outter tie rod because im not sure how it mounts right now, on top of underneath the knukle.

thats what i was saying in the other post in the NST forum. we could lower the tie rod ends to be more in line with the steering rack becausse raising the rack might make the steering shaft rub up against the headers causing problems (it will surely rub on the long tubes)

we could just try flipping the tie rods over and mounting them to the bottom of the knuckle but special parts would have to be made.

sdxrunner619

Reaction score
my brain itches....

This makes some sense...i guess it will make more,when and if my sittin sic drop gets here...:dontknow:

We need to get somebody on a potnetial fix for, this double time....:top:

Suscribed...

sonic555u

Reaction score
Did anything happen with this thread.

Thanks
No nothing I have been waiting for this kit since 2007, there are less of us x-runner hardcore owners everyday I'll continue waiting for this bump steer kit ever comes I'm in LA Cali if any other xrunner member wants to meet up hit me up.

Click

Reaction score
I used to live in Van Nuys. Don't get down that much anymore. Usually only make it to Petaluma

Top Bottom