Welcome!

By registering with us, you'll be able to discuss, share and private message with other members of our community.

SignUp Now!

California Laws

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
About the out of state registration. There are a lot of electricians that end up residing here and have no problems keeping there out of state registration(They don't want to pay for the smog and all). I know a few that's been here for over 2 years and never got pulled over. The thing is that they keep their registration current.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
You would have to prove out of state residence in court. People moving to California have 60 days to get a CA drivers license and register their vehicle. At times it's difficult to smog an out of state care because of the special emissions.

Make up all the bologna stories you want, if you can persuade the court then :top:

Its not bologna. If I have a residents in which my mailing address, & license reside at. Thats where I live, plain and simple. This sh*t isn't rocket science bro. Who says I dont live with with my mommy in Arizona? Or in Arizona all together. Who says my primary residents isnt my parents, not you, not the court. They cant tell me where I live most of the time.

I don't need a drivers license to own a house in California if my primary residents is in Arizona.

xrunner5-0

Reaction score
I look at it this way. If you don't live in Cali then you don't have to worry about it. Every state and local enforcement has their things they have to enforce. Most of their laws are not different than other states they just enforce them.
Hot Rodding practically began on California state highways, so the CHP was forced to set the standards for the rest of the country back in the 60's and 70's. We can only blame ourselves for the statistics.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
About the out of state registration. There are a lot of electricians that end up residing here and have no problems keeping there out of state registration(They don't want to pay for the smog and all). I know a few that's been here for over 2 years and never got pulled over. The thing is that they keep their registration current.

Exactly. What ever you have to say to reside in the state but keep out of state credentials; that is all you have to do.

rpmspeedyblue

Reaction score
Exactly. What ever you have to say to reside in the state but keep out of state credentials; that is all you have to do.
I forgot to mention that you can go online and report people(If you don't like the person) that have not registered their vehicles.

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
People can report all they want, it still falls back onto the same principals. If someone reported me id burn their fuggin house down. :top:

Raversman

Banned
Reaction score
so if i lived in Oregon i could run straight pipes from the headers and no cat's, and i wouldn't get busted or have any problems with the law?

5H4D0WD347H

Reaction score
so if i lived in Oregon i could run straight pipes from the headers and no cat's, and i wouldn't get busted or have any problems with the law?

Pretty much! Because you are a visitor from out of state. You may get questioned if you draw attention to yourself with straight pipes, but in the end there isnt to much they can do about it. You are not a primary resident of the state of California.

For example: NY state law is front and rear plates up here and reg/inspection in the windshield. They also have a similar residents law as well (60 days or some crap).

I have a friend who owns a house in Alabama but lives in NY primarily. He gets stopped for having no front plate and for no stickers in view at inspection/safety checks.

They hassle him a bit but he has an Alabama license, and an Alabama rear plate. Tough crap, they cant do anything about it. He has been living here for 5 years lol.

Just have to say the right thing.

If you believe it cant be done you are ignorant or you're a cop for the state of CA trying to say otherwise. There is loop holes in everything. You are either clever enough to figure out how to exploit them or you sit back and take it.

I encourage everyone to smog up CA, go get out of state residency bro! lol.

Last edited:

FuCt

Reaction score
i especially like the part at the end of the article:

"Remember - FTBC (failure to be cool) is not a crime!"

WCD

Reaction score
Who proves that you were there the entire 60 day term the law references. You could travel frequently across state lines. :top: So technically once you leave the Cali border to go "home" your 60 day term is reset. There is no cap on how many days a week you can visit a resident in Cali from out of state. Unless they follow you every minute of the day you drive, every day, for 60 days, (to try and prove that 60 day window has been exceeded and then try and claim residency) they can not prove crap. Your residents is where your mail goes. If your mail, license, and plates are out of state tuff shiit.

They just bank on people not fighting it and just paying a fine or giving in and registering in the state of CA. If you got a fine and wrote a letter stating the above with a legit reason as to why they see your car so much. They cant do shiit.

Id set up a PO Box in a town out of state near a family member and have them mail me any important mail; pay your bills online. Put that address on your license. Have a nice day.

A guy I work with has Idaho plates on his Bronco. He has a buddy who lives there and helped him out on it. His Bronco has had the plates on for a couple of years now.

NightWing

Reaction score
how many of u have gotten pulled over for not havin a front license plate

rx-runner

Reaction score
i just pulled over on thursday for not having plates on

SickRedXRnr

"OK, Good Talk"
Reaction score
when i used to be in my honda racing faze, i would get pulled over almost weekly for the dumbest stuff. One cop actually had the nerve to write me a ticket because.... MY LICENSE PLATE LIGHTS WERE NOT BRIGHT ENOUGH!!! the best part was they were factory.... there is no winning in good ole cali!!

XR-Franciscoo

Reaction score
Hehehehe. everyone is trying not to register their vehicle in Cali and I do the oposite. Instead of registering and paying 30 bucks in WA, w. No emissions I do it in Cali just to have the Cali plates in WA. The only XR in WA with Cali Plates. Hooya! :biggrin:

Militia

Reaction score
You guys can press the issue about not registering your vehicles in CA and not getting a CA driver's license all you want. One question that will be asked is, "where do you work? How long?" If its farther than the 60 days, and your giving the cop ****. He will cite you for being an unlicensed driver residing in CA, and impound your car for 30 days, which will require you to get a CA driver's license and start the registration process prior to getting your car back. Way to much hassel and papper work.

Rember it is harder to continue with the lie than to tell the truth. The truth will get you a lot farther with the law.

Weasle

Reaction score
Just a few helpful hints for us Cali guys: First, check laws, rules and regulations about EVERY mod you do (its a pain in the arse, but itle save you later). Second, KEEP EVERY RECEIPT FOR EVERY MOD so when a cop challenges you, you have proof right there in your rig. Third, just dont get pulled over...its easier that way. While Cali is by far one of the most strict states, you can still do plenty of fun stuff if your smart about it.

Talerra

Reaction score
what i think is rediculous is how motorcycles can mod anything they want..they are still a road vehicle, we are cars discriminated against? when i had my suby they would post piggies right by the iclub meets, i even left early and got pulled over and state reffed

id like to say ive been pulled over three times since july for "not having plates" what the **** kinda bs is that? is it because im a girl? or that they're jealous they cant drive like me ;)

Last edited:

frechem

Reaction score
I have been living in SoCal for over 4 years now and still have both my vehicles registered out of state. It's the only way to go.

Top Bottom